L2850 GST gear skip

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia
I recently looked at a used L2850 GST to buy. It is a 4wd and has 1300+ hrs.
When I threw the shift into gear 1, tractor started moving and picked up speed when in gear 2. But it slowed down or not engaged when in gear 3. It would pick up speed again when I shifted to gear 4 while making some grinding noise during the shift. I wonder if this transmission problem could be fixed, and what the estimated cost would be. Many thanks.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I recently looked at a used L2850 GST to buy. It is a 4wd and has 1300+ hrs.
When I threw the shift into gear 1, tractor started moving and picked up speed when in gear 2. But it slowed down or not engaged when in gear 3. It would pick up speed again when I shifted to gear 4 while making some grinding noise during the shift. I wonder if this transmission problem could be fixed, and what the estimated cost would be. Many thanks.
Looking at this info :

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/2/9/1296-kubota-l2850-transmission.html

which type of tranny does yours have? I would guess that it would be up there in the $$$ column. Greatly depends on YOU doing the work or the local shop doing the work. Sounds like you have teeth missing and or synchronizers that are shot. Unless you are getting a steal, I would stay away from this orange!

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia
85Hokie, the transmission is glide shift transmission (GST), not manual gear.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
GST transmissions are fairly simple in one way and fairly complicated in another.
They are hydraulically shifted, I think your problem could be fairly simple, it's a problem with the 3-4 shift spool. it could be as simple as a bad O-ring (which is my bet), or maybe some obstruction in the valve body, both very easy fixes for a good mechanic.
The reason for the funny shifts would be that fluid is leaking (internally) out of the valve body or the valve is stuck and not engaging the 3-4 valve and clutch properly when it's going from 2nd to 3rd and when it goes to switch from 3rd to 4th its miss timing the clutch times, normal for them to do that when there is a leak or stuck valve.
I did a complete rebuild on mine, it's a fair amount of parts but an easy rebuild.
Total rebuild only ran me a couple hundred in parts, There is about 75 O-Rings in there so it just takes a little patience.