L2800 Died Suddenly Right After Starting

lightninfan

Equipment
L2800D, Bush Hog, cutting harrow, disc harrow, post hole digger, spreader
Sep 29, 2014
White GA
Hi, have 2006 L2800D Manual with 290 hours. I purchased it at 260 hours, put it in the shop and had the 500 service done. I did have to recently replace the battery. Since then, it's been starting and running great.

I started it today to do some bushhogging, it started right up. Unfortunately, I did not allow the recommended 10 minute warm up. Backed it out of my barn and as soon as I put it in Forward (on a slight slope) and started going, the engine just stopped.

I've played around with the Operator Presence switches but it stlll won't start. When I turn the key with the gears in neutral and other features set per the manual, the 'Easy Checker' lights come on and the gauges start to move, but nothing from the engine.

The only thing I can figure is that there was not sufficient hydraulic pressure as the result of my not doing a thorough warm up...lesson learned!

I'd appreciate any advise on how I might confirm this is the problem and if so, how to recover from it a get the engine started. Or, any other ideas on what the issue might be would be great.

Thanks!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The only thing I can figure is that there was not sufficient hydraulic pressure as the result of my not doing a thorough warm up...lesson learned!

Thanks!
Warming up and and not starting do not really have anything to do with one another. Most tractors in the "field" never get a warm up period, start and then run it like one stole it...... so your warming up or lack of, really has no reason for it to "stop" running.

For a diesel - you got to have 3 things..... fuel, air and compression. I would think that you have plenty of the 2/3 - compression is not the problem, and probably not air. Fuel......you checked fuel? Fuel in tank? Coming to injectors? Clogged filters?

If it died quickly rather than sputtered, maybe the fuel solenoid is to blame, the way you describe it, does it seem that something simply cut the fuel off?

lightninfan

Equipment
Sep 29, 2014
White GA
Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of fresh fuel. My 'insufficient warm up' theory was all I could come up with, so thanks for clarifying that.

I'll go check the fuel filter but fuel is visible in it and it was replaced when I did the 500 hr service. I don't know how to check that fuel is getting to the injectors. I would think not since the engine isn't even turning over, right?

Question about the starter. As I mentioned, the engine did initially start right up. If the starter goes bad, could that cause a running engine to stop?

BigRed57

Equipment
L2350 4x4 land pride 4ft bush hog
Jun 29, 2016
Society Hill S.C.
The starter will not stop a running engine. The starter engages the flywheel and turns your engine over..I'm with them, check your wires bw the battery and starter. Power and ground

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
"Backed it out of my barn and as soon as I put it in Forward (on a slight slope) and started going, the engine just stopped."

I had a horse like that! Just didn't like to get very far from the barn. A barn soured horse takes some work.... but I think you need to check your battery cables. You did say you recently replaced the battery. Probably need to check to ends at the starter and the frame ground. Make sure the ground at the bolt is clean metal. Make sure you don't have corrosion under the insulation on all the ends.

lightninfan

Equipment
Sep 29, 2014
White GA
Hey Guys, just a quick update and BIG THANK YOU. I removed the ground cable, cleaned all the gunk off where it attaches to the frame, scratched up the negative post on the battery, put it all back and she cranked right up.

Thank you all so much,
Mike