L275DT fuel filter, hose fitting pulled out

Crumrw

Equipment
Kubota L275DT
Feb 16, 2023
Dallas, tx
I have a mid 80’s l275dt. Noticed today fuel leaking from the injector side of the water separator where the hose attaches. Fiddle with it for a second, and the whole metal bung (that I thought was permanently affixed to the fuel filter) came out. It was pouring fuel so I quickly shoved it back in, but it looked slightly tapered and didn’t appear to have any seals or lips to hold it in place. Pressed firmly back in, it didn’t leak anymore, but I can’t imagine that a small bump wouldn’t jar it loose again. Is this normal?

Attachments

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have a mid 80’s l275dt. Noticed today fuel leaking from the injector side of the water separator where the hose attaches. Fiddle with it for a second, and the whole metal bung (that I thought was permanently affixed to the fuel filter) came out. It was pouring fuel so I quickly shoved it back in, but it looked slightly tapered and didn’t appear to have any seals or lips to hold it in place. Pressed firmly back in, it didn’t leak anymore, but I can’t imagine that a small bump wouldn’t jar it loose again. Is this normal?
Maybe.....clean thoroughly with laquer thinner (to remove diesel residue), a thin coat of JB Weld on the nipple, and re-insert?
If not.....new fuel filter housing ...$$$$$ ?

Crumrw

Equipment
Kubota L275DT
Feb 16, 2023
Dallas, tx
Maybe.....clean thoroughly with laquer thinner (to remove diesel residue), a thin coat of JB Weld on the nipple, and re-insert?
If not.....new fuel filter housing ...$$$$$ ?
The nipple looked clean as if it wasn't glued. I wonder if they were just press fit in originally.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The nipple looked clean as if it wasn't glued. I wonder if they were just press fit in originally.
[/QUOTE

Even if it was "glued" you need to do a bit more than just push it back in.
That's why JB Weld, or similar, would seem to be a logical choice.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I had that happen about 10 years ago. I cleaned it and used epoxy on it. It is still holding just fine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's just the way the did it, it's cheap and normally very effective.

Just clean both sides with brake parts cleaner, little epoxy and it will work that way long after the rest of the tractor dies!