L2502 Power

USMCRay1

Equipment
L2502
Jun 2, 2024
Louisiana
New Orange owner here. Just got the L2502 and trying to find out if I can get more power. I see a ton of posts for the 2501. Went with the 25 hp to stay away from particulate filter but definitely lacks power especially when bush hogging.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
New Orange owner here. Just got the L2502 and trying to find out if I can get more power. I see a ton of posts for the 2501. Went with the 25 hp to stay away from particulate filter but definitely lacks power especially when bush hogging.

What size cutter you using?
What type of "grass" you cutting? and maybe more importantly -
What gear are you cutting it in?

Reactions: 1 user

USMCRay1

Equipment
L2502
Jun 2, 2024
Louisiana
What size cutter you using?
What type of "grass" you cutting? and maybe more importantly -
What gear are you cutting it in?
Using a 60 inch cutter on mostly Bahia and not too thick. I have cut in low 3 and 4. Last time I cut in high 2nd and 1st on the thicker grass. I just think for the size of the tractor it should have more power and I love to “upgrade/modify” my toys.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Using a 60 inch cutter on mostly Bahia and not too thick. I have cut in low 3 and 4. Last time I cut in high 2nd and 1st on the thicker grass. I just think for the size of the tractor it should have more power and I love to “upgrade/modify” my toys.
Gotcha - are you cutting at the rated 540 RPM?

USMCRay1

Equipment
L2502
Jun 2, 2024
Louisiana
Gotcha - are you cutting at the rated 540 RPM?
Yes and sometimes a tad lower on the thinner areas of the field where I don’t need the power. My biggest problem I have is with the FEL. Can’t even pick up a full bucket of dry sand and tractor bogs pushing into it.

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
Welcome! - I can't comment to the diff on the 02 vs 01 but I assume that they are comparable if not the same on specs. There are multiple routes to more power and some adjustments to use/technique.

Several points to consider:
  1. The hyd pump on the 01 was the same for 25/33/39 and is underrated. This is will affect your FEL lift. I changed the shims to judiciously up the pressure and was VERY pleased with no issues on overfull bucket. I also added a tooth-bar as I am doing soil/rock combo & some sand with the loader (& BH)
    My technique definitely got better with more seat time going into a pile and getting a full bucket w/o bogging also. I have the BH so keep ballast in mind.
    Easy & Cheap w/ no downside - just don't overdo it!
  2. RE PTO & Ground pulling: The RPM may also be limited low on the 02 to meet hp/emission reqs. I have not messed with this yet but removing the limiter/stop frees up more rpm and power, but would likely void any warranty work - YRMV
  3. There are folk turbo'ing these as well ;)

USMCRay1

Equipment
L2502
Jun 2, 2024
Louisiana
Welcome! - I can't comment to the diff on the 02 vs 01 but I assume that they are comparable if not the same on specs. There are multiple routes to more power and some adjustments to use/technique.

Several points to consider:
  1. The hyd pump on the 01 was the same for 25/33/39 and is underrated. This is will affect your FEL lift. I changed the shims to judiciously up the pressure and was VERY pleased with no issues on overfull bucket. I also added a tooth-bar as I am doing soil/rock combo & some sand with the loader (& BH)
    My technique definitely got better with more seat time going into a pile and getting a full bucket w/o bogging also. I have the BH so keep ballast in mind.
    Easy & Cheap w/ no downside - just don't overdo it!
  2. RE PTO & Ground pulling: The RPM may also be limited low on the 02 to meet hp/emission reqs. I have not messed with this yet but removing the limiter/stop frees up more rpm and power, but would likely void any warranty work - YRMV
  3. There are folk turbo'ing these as well ;)
Thanks for the info. I have ordered a hydraulic gauge and shims for the pump. I have also seen where people turbo the 01. Tons of stuff to get more from the 01 but I guess the 02 is still too new. I'm hoping it will be the same mods and we get some guinea pigs soon to experiment.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Be careful with the modifications as you might void the warranty. You might be better off arranging to trade up with the dealer. That what I would do.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'm not a master wrench and am not very adventuresome when it comes to engine mods. When my tractor wasn't "enough tractor", I bought a bigger one.

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
I don't know about the L2502 but I have an L2501 with hydrostat trans. I only mow our meadow in the fall or spring so the grass is usually tall and overgrown. I've had no issues with bog down in Med range with a 5' brush hog or 5' finish mower.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
The L2502 uses a new injection pump and several engine components have been moved to alternate locations when compared to the L2501. So you can’t just bolt-on something from the L2501.

That said, I’ll be looking at Turbocharging an L2502 in the near future. We’re just trying to do a bit more research on engine internals and that new injection pump.

But, as another member stated, if you modify your L2502, the powertrain warranty is void. So that’s something to consider.

Mike