L2501

brushhogger

Equipment
m4800
Apr 23, 2012
tyler, texas, us
Hello, I am looking to buy a L2501 in gear drive 4wd. with front end loader. I would like to pull a finish mower with this tractor and a 5 ft. Brush hog type cutter. My bigger tractor is to big to get into some areas and tears up my lawn. I also like the fact that it would be easy to trailer to another location when needed.
I do have a few questions from owners of this model.

How much gear whine can I expect from a L2501? I absolutely hate gear whine.

Does this tractor have a engine control computer, even though it is non DPF?

Any other comments on this tractor will be much appreciated, Thanks.

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
Hello, I am looking to buy a L2501 in gear drive 4wd. with front end loader. I would like to pull a finish mower with this tractor and a 5 ft. Brush hog type cutter. My bigger tractor is to big to get into some areas and tears up my lawn. I also like the fact that it would be easy to trailer to another location when needed.
I do have a few questions from owners of this model.

How much gear whine can I expect from a L2501? I absolutely hate gear whine.

Does this tractor have a engine control computer, even though it is non DPF?

Any other comments on this tractor will be much appreciated, Thanks.
I have one exactly like you're looking at (gear drive, 4x4, fel) and I love it! I'm very glad I went with the gear drive over hydro because it suits my needs perfectly. I don't have any gear whine at all on mine, others might chime in and report different but mines never made any noise like that. I am not too familiar with the engine other than its direct injected so I guess it's computer controlled but it doesn't have any emissions junk on it. Mine still blows a good puff of black smoke on start up and you'll see some occasionally when you throttle up fast sometimes. Only thing I did to my tractor is load the rear tires and add hooks to the bucket. With the loaded tires it helps with traction but I swear this thing could still use more weight even though it's 24.8 hp. It's a torque monster being 100.5 ci! It's the largest engine for 25hp in the business.

Bunker Buster

Equipment
2015 L2501DT
I will second what Robert said. My gear drive has no whine either and has is very nimble. There are times I wish the bucket hydraulics had a little more muscle behind it though. The injection is computer controlled, but there's no emissions crap which is why I chose the 2501.

Overall, it's a great tractor.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
How do the gear transmissions work on this model? Do you need to use the clutch for the four gears or to go forward to reverse?

I'm only familiar with the Grand L's and the bigger tractors.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
OK, thanks. I wan't sure if it was like a power shuttle or not.
I saw one at my dealer but it was a hydro, so I was wondering how the gear trans were set up.

Is forward/reverser on the steering column, or lever by the seat?

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Thanks again Bunker Buster. They look like a nice tractor.

Bunker Buster

Equipment
2015 L2501DT
You're welcome! They are a nice tractor IMO. Well built and everything is easy to reach/use. I was impressed with how smooth the hydraulics work. It may be a little tractor, but it has a lot of punch. I also like how the hood is metal where the competitors' hoods were plastic.