L2501 - Transmission/Hydraulic Oil

perrotoro

Equipment
L2501, L4330
Jul 25, 2018
St. Francisville, LA, USA
My hydraulic Oil Indicator beneath the clutch on my L2501 shows white. I ran it for 3-5 minutes, turned the steering wheel and raised the mower deck several times ... still a white indication - no apparent trans/hydr fluid level. The manual does not say hot or cold, so I think it's safe to say I have a low level.

Should I get it hot before I add hydr/transmission fluid or add it cold - before I run it???

Thanks

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
I understand you are not changing the fluid but rather adding but the L2501 Service Manual says when changing..."After running the engine for a few minutes, stop it and check the fluid level again, if low, add fluid prescribed level", so I believe this would still apply to you.
Im curious if you dont mind saying how many hours do you have on your L2501 and have you added before ?

perrotoro

Equipment
L2501, L4330
Jul 25, 2018
St. Francisville, LA, USA
Thanks Mudball - my manual says "1. Park the machine on a flat surface, lower the implement and shut off engine." It doesn't say "after a few minutes", but I guess the same is implied by "shut off the engine".

It has 50-hours - I just changed the engine oil. Others were doing the mowing for the first 40 hours, but I've just gotten the duties now. Just acquired the manual and am beginning maintenance. Have not added hydraulic oil as yet.

By your asking, can I assume that adding hydr oil is not to out-of-the-ordinary? We have an older 4330 too, that the guy before me said he had added hydr oil before - so I'm wondering if adding hydr oil can be expected periodically. I haven't done much with the 4330 as yet, but will change the motor oil and check the hydr oil on this machine this weekend - I just got the 4330 manual.

The guy before me also said diesel engine motor oil darkens pretty quickly. Is that a given too? This 4330 oil looks pretty sad - like it hasn't been changed for a good while.

I'm a newbie to the tractor world, so I'll depend a lot on the manuals and forums for now.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
When my BX was new, I had to add hydraulic fluid in the first hour. Guessing it just burped. When mine is just off the dipstick, it takes about a quart. I don’t have to add often, but very occasionally.

Any diesel will darken motor oil quicker than a gasoline engine. Just make sure you use a diesel certified motor oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Thanks Mudball - my manual says "1. Park the machine on a flat surface, lower the implement and shut off engine." It doesn't say "after a few minutes", but I guess the same is implied by "shut off the engine".

It has 50-hours - I just changed the engine oil. Others were doing the mowing for the first 40 hours, but I've just gotten the duties now. Just acquired the manual and am beginning maintenance. Have not added hydraulic oil as yet.

By your asking, can I assume that adding hydr oil is not to out-of-the-ordinary? We have an older 4330 too, that the guy before me said he had added hydr oil before - so I'm wondering if adding hydr oil can be expected periodically. I haven't done much with the 4330 as yet, but will change the motor oil and check the hydr oil on this machine this weekend - I just got the 4330 manual.

The guy before me also said diesel engine motor oil darkens pretty quickly. Is that a given too? This 4330 oil looks pretty sad - like it hasn't been changed for a good while.

I'm a newbie to the tractor world, so I'll depend a lot on the manuals and forums for now.
Yes you are correct in what you found in the Operators manual. What I looked up was from the Work Shop manual(Service manual).
I dont know if adding hydro oil periodically is normal or not. I was curious myself. I dont think I ever had to add on my old L245 manual trans but things are different these days.
As far as engine oil goes, yes Ive noticed on my old tractor that it would darken pretty quick.
Sounds like you are on the right track.

tlefire

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100, L2350, L2501
May 18, 2017
talladega alabama
Before you add the hydro oil, change the filter. Using a shop vac, you'll not lose much oil. Search on here to see how it's done. Be sure when you take the filter off the magnetic ring comes off with it.

Make sure what you're seeing in the sight glass is not overfull oil. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between too much and too little.

Blondie70

Equipment
L2501DT('18)L2501('15)
Aug 6, 2016
Poplarville, MS
When you add oil just add a shot or two. It does not take much to overfill if it is just below the siteglass. Mine is overfull now (and will stay that way, 'cuz I ain't draining any.):)

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Make sure what you're seeing in the sight glass is not overfull oil. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference between too much and too little.
This reminds me, my fluid level is at the very top of the site glass with just a slight bubble line visible when not running. When I start my tractor with the three point raised and then look again, you can see the level drop down slightly. At least thats what I thought I saw last time.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Park your tractor on an angle one way then the other and view the sight glass in each position, you should see the difference between no oil and full oil. Hydraulic oil is not a consumable, you should not have to periodically top it up. Once you have run it a few times you should be able to adjust the level and all should be good. If the level goes down over time, you have a leak, or have lost some from an implement. Set your tractor on a level surface and check engine oil, radiator and hydraulic fluid before starting each day when cool, you will get less variation from thermal expansion. YMMV.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ya need to let the tractor sit with engine off for about 30 minutes to get an accurate reading. The WSM and Ops manuals don't tell you this. If you shut it down and immediately top it off, a half hour later it usually will show low. Why? Typically the gears and shafts turning inside the transmission with the engine running will whip up the oil and cause it to become slightly aerated-this is normal, and if you look closely at the sight window, you can see it immediately after turning the engine off. The areated oil is less dense, and will show to be "higher" in the glass or on the stick, and then after the air bubbles rise to the surface, the oil level usually drops a little bit.