L245DT Squeek/Chirp Sound

Rustypig

New member

Equipment
245DT w/ L1200 FEL
Oct 7, 2025
16
8
3
N. Idaho
Started hearing this loud squeek sound, almost like a high pitched chirp that sounds like it's coming from the rear of the tractor. My kid was operating it and I thought maybe it was the 3 point links being tight and moving back and forth on uneven terrain etc., but later when I got on it I quickly discovered it's in conjunction with the drive train turning. If I push in the clutch it quits. It's very high pitched and sounds like it's coming from the rear to me but it's really hard to tell, and I'm half deaf anyway. Anyone ever experienced and an issue like this? I'm kind of at a loss as to where to begin. Oh, and it's not a steady continuous sound, it's like a squeek, quiet, squeek, quiet, squeek quiet is about the only way i know to describe it.
 
Last edited:

Fedup

Active member
Apr 6, 2016
374
147
43
Winchester
You might begin with the drive shaft shield. The shield tubing in contact with the rotating shaft has been known to cause strange squeaks and squeals.
 

Russell King

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
8,007
3,149
113
Austin, Texas
You might begin with the drive shaft shield. The shield tubing in contact with the rotating shaft has been known to cause strange squeaks and squeals.
I think you are thinking of the shaft to the front wheel drive. I am not sure if the driveshaft rotates if 4WD is not on.

But it sure seems like it could cause the noise so should be investigated.

The OP may have a problem with the rear brakes or low oil level in the transmission/rear end. There should be a plug on the side of the transmission case to verify the oil level.

Interestingly a couple of months ago, my L185F (2WD) started making a high pitched squeak after sitting for a few weeks. I think it was the front end pivot point needed to be greased.
 

North Idaho Wolfman

Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
36,443
11,239
113
Sandpoint, ID
Oh, and it's not a steady continuous sound, it's like a squeek, quiet, squeek, quiet, squeek quiet is about the only way i know to describe it.
How about instead of your wonderful typed interpretation of the sound, that we step into the modern age and take a video, with audio, post it on Youtube or any other hosting or sharing site and give us a link to see and hear what's actualy going on with it. ;)
 

Rustypig

New member

Equipment
245DT w/ L1200 FEL
Oct 7, 2025
16
8
3
N. Idaho
Got it sorted out. I'm an idiot and should have known right away after my kid asked which handle was 4wd and which was high/low range, but it was a couple hours later when i jumped on it. He'd left the 4wd lever 1/2 engaged. So all is well now and my wallet feels fatter than compared to what I thought I was in for on this one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3 users

whitetiger

Moderator
Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
3,778
2,183
113
Kansas City, KS
How about instead of your wonderful typed interpretation of the sound, that we step into the modern age and take a video, with audio, post it on Youtube or any other hosting or sharing site and give us a link to see and hear what's actualy going on with it. ;)
Wondering what key the pitch of the "squeek" was in? :whistle:
 

D2Cat

Well-known member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
15,006
7,709
113
40 miles south of Kansas City
You guys wondering about description of sounds is humorous.

Last week my wife was taking her car to the dealer for an oil change (it's a 2025 with two years of service included) and she says it has a rattle that is annoying and wants it fixed. I suggested she remove ALL items she might have put in the car and see if the rattle is gone. Nope still there.

So as we're driving to the dealer I tell her don't be disappointed if the noise is not resolved. They are not going to tear the dash apart to find it. I suggested you need to describe to them what and where you hear the noise. She has about 6K miles on it and she says it sounds like it's on the passengers side dash. Her passengers describe the sound as coming from the drivers side dash. We finally come up with the description of it sounds like some loose change in the bottom of a ceramic coffee cup, moving when hitting a bump!

After service and a road test the tech comes in, hands her a finger nail clipper, ink pen and file from the passenger door pocket. A phillips screwdriver in the driver's door pocket. He then said the rattle was her garage door opened which she had laying in the compartment intended for glasses ( I think). We drove home testing the theory, put the remote in there for a while then remove it. Yep, that's the problem!! Hard plastic bouncing on hard plastic.

Sometimes we create some dandy problems.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users