L245DT Front Axle Leak Repair

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
My L245DT has a leak in the front axle where the upper and lower cases slide/pivot.

Is this normally a seal replacement, or indicative of wear in bearings?

The lower gearcase is full of fluid even though it's leaking. Is it right to assume the gear oil from the axle tube leaks through the bearings and keeps the lower case full?

Blake

Equipment
Hanmey Backhoe, Loader
Mar 27, 2009
Smithers,BC
Hello there', I can't answer your question but I have the service, operating and parts manual on disc for the L245dt. Give me your address and I will mail it to you. My unit also leaks at this spot and a mechanic buddy of mine said to keep putting fluid in it as the repair is complicated for a layman. Lots of parts to play with. You can contact me at hpearce@telus.net

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
My L245DT has a leak in the front axle where the upper and lower cases slide/pivot.

Is this normally a seal replacement, or indicative of wear in bearings?

The lower gearcase is full of fluid even though it's leaking. Is it right to assume the gear oil from the axle tube leaks through the bearings and keeps the lower case full?
have you found the answers you were looking for?

Joshua Zahn

Equipment
L275
Feb 13, 2010
Elkton, Maryland USA
I'm not sure about the 245, but if its similar to my 275DT there is a seal in that needs replacement that shouldn't be terribly difficult. On the 275 there are a few pieces including two sets of bearings but not too bad to take apart. Make sure to replace it or keep it full of fluid. The PO of my tractor didn't and is ruined the bearing, gears, both cases and possibly the spindle.

bky

Nov 8, 2009
ky
I have replaced them on mine and it wasnt that hard of a job. these tractors are pretty easy to work on.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I noticed the leaking in the heat of summer. Since then it really hasn't leaked much so I haven't worried about it. One of these days when I'm caught up on everything else I might tear into it. I mainly wanted to get an idea of how big of a job it was.