L2250 front axle rebuild

Wideopen38

Jun 6, 2018
SUMMERVILLE
I just got a Kubota l2250 4x4 in good shape but the front axle was messed up. I just put all new bearnings, seals,gears,ring and pinion. I have put it all together the problem it there is one is when you lock the 4x4 in the drive shaft locks in like it should but both wheels turn instead of locking it like the driveshaft. I didn't crank it up and the front end is jack up.When I spin it by hand it make some clicking noise like gears.Should it be on the ground and running to work right? I'm new to this so I don't know all the right words or if I am making since.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
With it up in the air and out of 4wd what happens to the untouched wheel if you spin the other?
With it up in the air and in 4wd what happens to the unspun wheel if you spin the other?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do you have the drive shaft exposed so you can see the couplings?
Sound like you have one that is stripped.

Drive out roll pin (060) and remove bolt (090) and slide the 2 halves of the propeller shaft cover (040, 070) together and inspect the couplings (020) on both ends.
You might need to drive one of the roll pins (030) out and remove the shaft to inspect.

Attachments

Wideopen38

Jun 6, 2018
SUMMERVILLE
Ok I took the coupling loose from the pinion gear shaft, when I lock it in 4-wheel drive the driveshaft will not turn when I take it out of 4 wheel drive the drive shaft will turn. When I hook the driveshaft back up to the pinion gear shaht I turned wheels in the wheels turning opposite direction but the pinion shaft going into the coupler does not move but I hear gears skipping it sounds like it's no engaging somewhere in the front axle I guess. When it's locked in four wheel drive should the wheels be able to turn when it's up in the air?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Ok I took the coupling loose from the pinion gear shaft, when I lock it in 4-wheel drive the driveshaft will not turn when I take it out of 4 wheel drive the drive shaft will turn. When I hook the driveshaft back up to the pinion gear shaht I turned wheels in the wheels turning opposite direction but the pinion shaft going into the coupler does not move but I hear gears skipping it sounds like it's no engaging somewhere in the front axle I guess. When it's locked in four wheel drive should the wheels be able to turn when it's up in the air?
With the front drive engaged or locked in, you should be able to turn one front tire by hand and the other should also be turning only in the opposite direction.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
when I lock it in 4-wheel drive the driveshaft will not turn when I take it out of 4 wheel drive the drive shaft will turn.
That sounds perfectly normal, as the transmission is engaged to the rear wheels so you shouldn't be able to turn the shaft.

I hear gears skipping it sounds like it's no engaging somewhere in the front axle I guess.
I think you get the misconception that something in the front axle locks in to put it in 4wd, nothing in the front axle changes between 2wd and 4wd, and the propeller shaft turns both in 2wd and 4wd.
It's only the rear at the transmission that changes.

Now if you turn the pinion and your getting a bad clicking, knocking, or grinding that's not good, but a gear whirr or slight chatter of gears is somewhat normal.

When it's locked in four wheel drive should the wheels be able to turn when it's up in the air?
Yes, like whitetiger said, they will turn in opposite directions.

Wideopen38

Jun 6, 2018
SUMMERVILLE
Yes I thought something in the front axle should have locked in when I put it in 4-wheel drive. So I think I'm okay,I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow thank you all very much for helping me out so much.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Either 80/90 gear oil, SUDT or synthetic 75/140 gear oil