L185 starts but won't keep running

Dupy

Equipment
L185DT
Feb 22, 2012
Berryville, AR, USA
I've been using my L185 for 20 years, mostly without issue. However, I didn't use it the past two years and it sat outside through two winters. I knew the diesel fuel would be bad, so I drained the tank, took off the spin-off filter and shook it out (appeared to have water in it), refilled with fresh diesel, bled the lines from the filter all the way to the injectors and voila! started right up. I ran it yesterday for nearly an hour without a problem. Today, I was putting it to work to move some brush piles for burining and it died after about five minutes. It started every time I tried (30 times?) but would only run for about 10-15 seconds before dying again. I didn't actually flush the fuel tank (don't know how), but wondered if that water in the fuel filter had ruined it. Any thoughts/suggestions, besides replacing the fuel filter. If I have to actually flush the fuel tank, I'll need a little advice on how best to do that. Thanks.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yeah you might be getting fuel starvation from the filter. It's as plausible a theory as any. How does it run for the 10-15 seconds it fires? Is it fairly smooth? Does it run up and down in rpms? Does it pop and crackle a bit?

Another thing I just thought of. Try removing the fuel cap and firing it up. If the tank can't draw in air the pump'll pull a vacuum in the tank and starve itself.

Dupy

Equipment
L185DT
Feb 22, 2012
Berryville, AR, USA
Thanks, guys.

I went into my Kubota dealer today and got a new filter and some diesel extender/enhancer. The guy, after hearing my plight, said there may be debris in the bottom of the fuel tank, as well as some left over water. Had no other solution than to 1) either add lots more clean fuel and some of the extender, which is supposed to dispel the water or 2) remove the fuel tank and thorougly flush it. I hate to just stick a new $15 filter on and hope for the best, but I may try his solution #1 as an alternative to figuring out how to remove the tank. Will also check the air filter, since it has sat a long time without use.

Dupy

Equipment
L185DT
Feb 22, 2012
Berryville, AR, USA
Stumpy, btw, when it started and ran for 10-15 seconds, it was fairly smooth. Would sometimes go up to 2500 rpm smoothly, with just a little black smoke before shutting down again. And if I end up having to pull the fuel tank and flushing it, are we talking a major job?

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
So after it dies, you crank it again shortly after and it lights back up happy as a clam for another 15 seconds and you don't have to bleed it. I'd agree with his assessment.

Could be water in the pump. When it stops the water settles to the bottom of the pump and the fuel floats back to the top. The lines have enough fuel for a little more running but it chokes and dies again trying to burn water. I'd loosen the nuts at the top of the pump and give it a good long bleed after putting in your fuel dryer and changing the filter.

My tank has been sitting in the parts pile so long I've forgotten what I had to take off to get it out. :) I believe the dash had to come off so not real easy but I seem to remember having it out within an hour or two. I'd expect it to need bleeding if fuel starvation is the issue but anythings possible. I'd make sure that's your problem before removing the tank. Have a look in the tank and see if you see obvious signs of diesel sludge. If not partially drain the tank through the fuel line and see what comes out and how fast. Do that before you refill the new fuel filter. Should help remove any water in the bottom of the tank.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I've been using my L185 for 20 years, mostly without issue. However, I didn't use it the past two years and it sat outside through two winters. I knew the diesel fuel would be bad, so I drained the tank, took off the spin-off filter and shook it out (appeared to have water in it), refilled with fresh diesel, bled the lines from the filter all the way to the injectors and voila! started right up. I ran it yesterday for nearly an hour without a problem. Today, I was putting it to work to move some brush piles for burining and it died after about five minutes. It started every time I tried (30 times?) but would only run for about 10-15 seconds before dying again. I didn't actually flush the fuel tank (don't know how), but wondered if that water in the fuel filter had ruined it. Any thoughts/suggestions, besides replacing the fuel filter. If I have to actually flush the fuel tank, I'll need a little advice on how best to do that. Thanks.
Make sure you have fuel flow from the tank right to the IP. If you have good flow there then I would suspect you are getting air in the system. Check all your connections and especially the filter and housing.

Capnbeak

Equipment
L3750DT
Nov 28, 2011
Bedford, Texas, USA
I had a similar situation with an L3750. I had actually had a bug hatch inside the tank. They looked like mayflies and still don't know how they got in the tank. But i have flushed the tank several times and hopefuly now have unrestricted fuel flow. The filter would always get contaminated first and the the engine would just lug down to a stop. Then after the cleanout all the bleeding of the system would require several attempts to get a smooth running engine. Tank on my model was actually very easy to drain. Good Luck

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
If you had water in the filter bowl it is a safe bet that there is algae growing in the lines. After draining the tank and blowing out the fuel lines with compressed air; a new fuel filter then refuel it and add the bio-cide.