L185 starter issues

mindless

Jan 31, 2015
Arcade NY
Well the other day I started the tractor once shut it off then when I tried again got nothing. Put the charger on it started right up. No issues next few times I used it.

Now today I went to start it, might have turned over once then nothing more. Tried to jump it didn't do anything, took the starter off and put cables to the posts and the gear kicks out but doesn't spin.

Opened it up brushes looked good have some cleaner sprayed the comm cleaned it up but still nothing. Brushes move freely and look to be in decent shape. Comm cleaned up pretty well but all I can get is the gear to kick out but not spin.

Anything else I can try to do to fix this starter, or am I stuck paying big bucks for a replacement. I looked quick and looks like it'll be over $200 for a starter.

Any help would be great thanks guys!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check the battery, and take it to the auto parts store and have it load tested. Actually sounds like a bad cable or bad battery. Especially if you were able to jump it and have it start the first time. If battery is completely toast, even putting jumper cable on it won't help.

mindless

Jan 31, 2015
Arcade NY
I put the charger straight to the starter when it was out. It would push the gear out but wouldn't spin, so I'm pretty confident its a starter issue.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The problem might be just in the solenoid, jump to the bottom terminal, if the starter spins, try to take solenoid apart and look at the contacts. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We just priced the selonoid out for an l2250. kubota wants $195 for the selonoid, or $230 for the whole starter with new selonoid :rolleyes: You can pretty much fugure out which one we went with ;)

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Original poster MindLess reports, "...put the charger straight to the starter when it was out. It would push the gear out but wouldn't spin, so I'm pretty confident its a starter issue."

I agree but perhaps not one of the ususal suspects.

I recently had a starter on a Ford 300-CI that would do the same thing---throw the bendix spur gear forward but not rotate.

Take it all apart and carefully use a small amount of white lithium motor rebuild grease on all the moving parts, being certain to keep the "electrical" windings and contact parts dry.

Before greasing, wipe everything clean with plain rubbing alcohol and blow and let air dry. I'm reluctant to use spray or dip cleaning solvents on old insulating materials.

Mine now spins like it did when new, about 45-years ago. It just got dry over time.

Please post back with your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

mindless

Jan 31, 2015
Arcade NY
When I got home last night I went to mess with it a bit again. And once again bench testing would just push the gear out but no rotation.

I then hooked it back to the wiring on the tractor to test and it spun like new. So not sure why bench testing it it wouldn't work but hooked up it will. I'm going to test it a couple more times before putting it back in, but for now it seems like its working.

I was almost thinking there was a short in the armature causing it to find a dead spot and not working. So I am not for sure if cleaning it really fixed it or if I am just lucky for the time being.

I will report back if I have anymore news.

Thanks all for your help!

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I was almost thinking there was a short in the armature causing it to find a dead spot and not working. So I am not for sure if cleaning it really fixed it or if I am just lucky for the time being...
Could it be that your ground on the bench was not heavy enough to permit the added amperage to spin it?

mindless

Jan 31, 2015
Arcade NY
Well just tried it again before I put it back together and made some noise shot some sparks out and now nothing else. So I'm going to go ahead and assume the starter has a short and is in need of replacement. Anyone know where I can pick up a starter for a decent price?

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Shot sparks out from where? The starter is pretty much sealed unit.
Using a charger of any kind is not enough to crank a starter at any given time.
A booster pack will work as it has enough available amperage to crank.
I would think 100 amps is minimum to spin a starter. Anything lower will burn brushes and armatures.

Be careful with stud terminals, turning studs in solenoid will cause shorts and crack the stud holders. Have seen new starters destroyed from this-shorting and keeping starter engaged.

mindless

Jan 31, 2015
Arcade NY
The sparks came out where the gear is some good sized ones. I have it all wired up just not bolted in. Yesterday it worked today it doesn't. Pretty similar to what has been happening, so I want to take care of it before I need the tractor and its down.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA

dartman04

Equipment
L185,NH 930b,Gehl CTL70
Sep 17, 2015
Griffin Georgia
Well just tried it again before I put it back together and made some noise shot some sparks out and now nothing else. So I'm going to go ahead and assume the starter has a short and is in need of replacement. Anyone know where I can pick up a starter for a decent price?
dont know if you bought one yet probably have i bought mine for $119 in Aug