L175 shifter fork question

tyrepros

Equipment
L175, Woods mower, Aerator, rake, kids rides
May 4, 2009
Freehold, NJ USA
Group,

Assembling a L175 Trans and am installing my first fork for the bottom gearset. It is the one down low opposite of the reverse gear. My question is that the shaft with the reliefs in it for the ball bearing and spring to ride along this shaft is more than stiff (fork#34150-2461-2, shaft#34150-2463-3). I cant see this shaft and fork (the one that rides under the PTO lever changer) being able to slide through the fork it is that tight. I removed the fork from the shaft (took a lot of effort) and relieved the fork hole but it will require drilling or milling to make it free enough for sliding on the shaft. I don't recall having PTO issues but can imagine it having difficulties based on this fork shaft interference. Maybe it is meant to be that way, but given there is a ball bearing and spring, it appears to have meant to be able to ride on the shaft. Has anyone been here or am I making something out of nothing? Thx, Joe.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
With the detent ball and spring removed, fork should slid on the shaft freely.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Probably a very long shot, but could be a slight twist to the splined shaft. Had this happen on a very old JD A. Do as WhiteTiger suggests, and if it does not, this could be the problem. A very slight twist, just enough to cause binding, can be relieved with a little filing.