L175 4wd, FEL, buying advice

cmcgalla

Sep 17, 2012
toronto, ohio USA
Howdy, looking at a tractor: http://youngstown.craigslist.org/grd/3246140206.html
I will use it for all kinds of basic farm chores, but I mainly concerned about lifting and moving round bales. I only get about 10-15 per year and have to off load them from the trailer into the barn. I don't stack them so there really is not reason to lift the bale that high. Will this machine work for moving round bales?

I have yet to call the owner, but when I do what should ask? Obviously how many hours, service records, past problems and the like.

Does this tractor have power steering? Does it have a water pump and does it matter?

What else should I look for or ask about?

Any advice is appreciated and once I become a Kubota owner I will offer whatever I may learn in the process.

Thanks
Zeek

Profnohair

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1500, 42" bh, box blade, G6200HST, Mahindra 450 with BH, FEL, etc.
Howdy, looking at a tractor: http://youngstown.craigslist.org/grd/3246140206.html
I will use it for all kinds of basic farm chores, but I mainly concerned about lifting and moving round bales. I only get about 10-15 per year and have to off load them from the trailer into the barn. I don't stack them so there really is not reason to lift the bale that high. Will this machine work for moving round bales?

I have yet to call the owner, but when I do what should ask? Obviously how many hours, service records, past problems and the like.

Does this tractor have power steering? Does it have a water pump and does it matter?

What else should I look for or ask about?

Any advice is appreciated and once I become a Kubota owner I will offer whatever I may learn in the process.

Thanks
Zeek
I cannot get on Craigslist at work (but I can get on OTT) to check out the ad. But, I do not believe that the L175 is a 2WD tractor. I have it's JDM sister and it is not 4WD.

NOTE: I corrected a typo. I incorrectly stated a 4wd. It is not 4wd.

Might want to verify that is the case.

Last edited:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
From the pictures, I do think that is a 4wd. What kind of bales, round or sq?? I'm pretty sure it won't pick up a round bale.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I had a L185DT with the factory FEL. It could pick up about 700 lbs - the book said 600, if I remember correctly. The tractor weighs about 1800. You will end up puting a LOT of strain on the front end, and needing a lot of weight on the back end. I had mine loaded down with 400 lbs of rear wheel weights, plus the backhoe. On occasion I needed 45psi in the front tires.
Keep in mind that this is close to 40 years old, and Kubota has no parts for it. Break something like the front axle, and you are on your own.
Having said all of that, if you can work with a rear end spear, the 3PT hitch is good for about a ton. Then you need more weight in the front.

cmcgalla

Sep 17, 2012
toronto, ohio USA
Hello thanks for all the help! I will be dealing with round bales in the range of 800-1200 pounds. A 3 point spike is no problem. Sounds like the 3pt is the way to go. So what size would I need to move those bales? Isn't the next size up an M series?
Thanks
Zeek