L1500DT Transmission

Montana Bill

Equipment
L1500DT
Jan 16, 2011
Missoula, MT USA
I have a Kubota GM L1500DT S/N 15859 with a Ezee-On Model 2030 FEL.
I have owned it for about 15 years and use it constantly for cleaning the barn, loading manure, dragging the pasture, plowing snow and misc duties.
This has been the best investment i ever made.
Last thursday i was plowing snow. When i backed up, my transmission shifter jumped out of reverse. It now has to be held manually in place to back up.
What broke and can it be accessed through the top cover?
Also, i need to order a set of manuals.
Operator, Service, Parts.
Can you help me identify them?

KennyV

Equipment
L4200GST (cab)
Sounds like there is a lot of hours on this tractor...
You should be able to pull the top plate and remove the shifter forks. I bet they are worn down or bent to the point they do not move the slider gear in all the way. If they are worn you can build them back with a torch and a little brass...
Pull the top cover and you will see the problem... KennyV

Montana Bill

Equipment
L1500DT
Jan 16, 2011
Missoula, MT USA
Thanks Kenny. I will do that.
Hey Service dept Vic, can you help me identify the North American equivalent?
I still want to get a set of manuals in case i need to go deeper.

jmann

Equipment
L1500dt
Aug 28, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
I have an L1500DT, too, and it should be the same as the L175 except for some PTO gears and the final drives on the front. They're beasty little machines, aren't they!?

Deneh

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL2000FD
Dec 2, 2010
Herlong, Calif
This website: http://www.tractorsmart.com/enter.htm, has parts manuals that you can download as long as you know the Kubota equivalent, which, if I am not mistaken is a L175DT. I own a ZL2000FD and that converts to a L225DT. You have to do a sign-up to get the manuals but there is no charge for the parts manual download. The also have a nifty on line price quote that is quite handy. :D

LRP

Sep 29, 2010
canada
do a search of my posts back a ways. how i changed my reverse gear in
my L1500. the gear don,t have to be worn much to jump out of gear.
IMHO, it,s a design flaw. no don,t try to bend the shifter forks. u take careful messurements
and u will see why
Louis

I have a Kubota GM L1500DT S/N 15859 with a Ezee-On Model 2030 FEL.
I have owned it for about 15 years and use it constantly for cleaning the barn, loading manure, dragging the pasture, plowing snow and misc duties.
This has been the best investment i ever made.
Last thursday i was plowing snow. When i backed up, my transmission shifter jumped out of reverse. It now has to be held manually in place to back up.
What broke and can it be accessed through the top cover?
Also, i need to order a set of manuals.
Operator, Service, Parts.
Can you help me identify them?

Montana Bill

Equipment
L1500DT
Jan 16, 2011
Missoula, MT USA
thanks LRP and Vic. Reverse gear is damaged on the tractor seat end. do i need to remove the steering cover to remove reverse gear shaft? I looked up the previous threads but i am not clear on this point.

Montana Bill

Equipment
L1500DT
Jan 16, 2011
Missoula, MT USA
Thanks Louis. i finally got a parts manual for a L175 and it shows the bolts you were talking about that hold the shaft in. Is it possible to access them from the clutch side cover? I will postpone the repair until it quits snowing down here "South of the Border".
i can only get a parts manual for a 2WD in the states as they did not import L175DTs. Does anybody have access to a parts manual for a L175DT?

Montana Bill

Equipment
L1500DT
Jan 16, 2011
Missoula, MT USA
It's tractor splitting time.
Now Vic, why do i get the picture that you would have me repaint the whole tractor if i scratched my fender? Ha ha. I will try accessing the reverse shaft bolts from the clutch cover or steering cover before i spilt the tractor. Remember i am not an apprentice yet, barely an apprentices helper, but i have worked on Hyster forklifts for 3 years. Gotta love not having everything wrapped in a welded steel cage to work on. Thanks.

jhodge

Apr 21, 2014
Youngstown, OH
Hi all,
I know this was started some time ago, but for anyone's future reference wanted to clarify the reverse gear can be changed without splitting the tractor.

Using the operator's seat as reference, the right side of the bell housing has a clutch inspection/throwout bearing grease fitting access cover held in place with two bolts. With this cover removed, one can use a ratchet with a deep well socket to remove the retaining plate that holds the reverse gear shaft in place. If you have large hands, it is hard to reassemble this way. Removing the steering assembly will also provide access to this retaining plate and in my opinion, is the better way to go as it allows more access and a visual of the plate/bolts.

Remove both shifter covers to expose the gears. At this point you'll be able to see the reverse gear and the apparent damage to the rear of it. Typically wears a groove about 1/4" deep. If you cannot see the gear completely, drain the trans fluid until it is exposed. I recommend completely draining and flushing the system as the shavings from this gear wearing away are now likely throughout the transmission (hopefully caught by the filter). Draining will also give you a good look at the main shaft. If the main shaft is worn, it's probably not worth wasting that new reverse gear as it'll just get chewed up again. Changing the main shaft requires a split.

However, if the main shaft looks ok/acceptable then the shaft for the reverse gear can be pushed forward toward/into the bell housing, allowing enough clearance to slide the bad gear off and a new one on. The shaft is held with an o-ring toward the front so it will not likely slide easily. I used a cheap, long screwdriver that I bent into an "L" shape and pushed the shaft out from the rear. The trans casting is countersunk to hold the shaft in place toward the rear with a through hole of smaller diameter. Insert a tool (in this case, it was my bent screw driver) and apply pressure to extract the shaft forward.

Reassemble in opposite order, make sure to clean out the filter and flush out the cavity prior to refilling with fluid. Then have fun lining all the shift forks back up. I found it easiest to start with the reverse fork and work back toward the PTO forks.

I hope this proves to be helpful to some in the future.

Joel

Corney

Equipment
L1500DT, front end loader, mower, tiller, snow blower
Did you take pictures of this process? Although your description is adequate for most I am plagued with being a visual learner and I have trouble understanding the process.

Appreciate the post and you sharing that!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Hi all,
I know this was started some time ago, but for anyone's future reference wanted to clarify the reverse gear can be changed without splitting the tractor.

Joel
Here are some pictures.
Dude..... gotta hand it to you... kudos for taking time to post this valuable info!!

billrigsby

Equipment
L1500DT Too many implements, or is there such a thing?
Mar 17, 2015
Florissant CO USA 8213'
www.facebook.com
Hi all,

Using the operator's seat as reference, the right side of the bell housing has a clutch inspection/throwout bearing grease fitting access cover held in place with two bolts. With this cover removed, one can use a ratchet with a deep well socket to remove the retaining plate that holds the reverse gear shaft in place. If you have large hands, it is hard to reassemble this way. Removing the steering assembly will also provide access to this retaining plate and in my opinion, is the better way to go as it allows more access and a visual of the plate/bolts.

Remove both shifter covers to expose the gears. At this point you'll be able to see the reverse gear and the apparent damage to the rear of it. Typically wears a groove about 1/4" deep. If you cannot see the gear completely, drain the trans fluid until it is exposed. I recommend completely draining and flushing the system as the shavings from this gear wearing away are now likely throughout the transmission (hopefully caught by the filter). Draining will also give you a good look at the main shaft. If the main shaft is worn, it's probably not worth wasting that new reverse gear as it'll just get chewed up again. Changing the main shaft requires a split.

However, if the main shaft looks ok/acceptable then the shaft for the reverse gear can be pushed forward toward/into the bell housing, allowing enough clearance to slide the bad gear off and a new one on. The shaft is held with an o-ring toward the front so it will not likely slide easily. I used a cheap, long screwdriver that I bent into an "L" shape and pushed the shaft out from the rear. The trans casting is countersunk to hold the shaft in place toward the rear with a through hole of smaller diameter. Insert a tool (in this case, it was my bent screw driver) and apply pressure to extract the shaft forward.

Reassemble in opposite order, make sure to clean out the filter and flush out the cavity prior to refilling with fluid. Then have fun lining all the shift forks back up. I found it easiest to start with the reverse fork and work back toward the PTO forks.

Joel

Without having mine dismantled yet.....
Reassemble in opposite order
Are you using the "bent screwdriver" through the access hole to push the shaft back in?

Any one else done this?