L series - what oil do I really have to change??

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
I recently bought a L2000dt and am getting it ready for use. Of course I have changed engine oil and transmission oil thanks to this site.

What about the rear axle gear reduction?

Front transfer case?

Front axle reducers?

Anything else??

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
On mine, the rear end shares the same fluid as the trans, so you also pull those rear gear plugs after you drain the trans. They are lower, I'd pull them if I were you, let it run clean then top off trans again.

Front end is your call, dip into it and see what the gear oil looks like.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I recently bought a L2000dt and am getting it ready for use. Of course I have changed engine oil and transmission oil thanks to this site.

What about the rear axle gear reduction?

Front transfer case?

Front axle reducers?

Anything else??
Tranny change should get it all. I would do the front axle too and replace with a good synthetic gear oil. Change the antifreeze too.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
On mine, the rear end shares the same fluid as the trans, so you also pull those rear gear plugs after you drain the trans. They are lower, I'd pull them if I were you, let it run clean then top off trans again.

Front end is your call, dip into it and see what the gear oil looks like.
After you have wasted your time looking at the top of the oil, pull the drain plugs. Sludge and fileings do not float on top of the oil. Drain, flush with diesel fuel, then refill with 80/90.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yes the differential and I believe the transfer case run in transmission fluid. There are two drain plugs facing outwards near the bottom of differential housings on the rear end. You may want to pull those and drain them til you get clear fluid as they're the lowest point in the system. The front has it's own fluid reservoir I believe.

Another thing I'd change is the steering box oil. It tends to collect water and then rust/freeze the steering gear bearings til something fails. Down at the base you'll find a small vertical fill plug, there is no drain plug. Use a hand vacuum pump or just siphon it out and refill with gear oil (what you used in the tranny is fine).

08k8

Equipment
L2000DT
Feb 13, 2012
Illinois, USA
Thanks All! I was unsure about the rear gear reduction units and unaware of the steering box issue.

Regarding the front wheel drive lube- I guess I have to suck this out with a vacuum extractor?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
There are drain plugs on the bottom of each drop box. They will drain the oil from the axel and boxs.