L 5740 steering issues

kayzboyz

Equipment
L5740
Sep 30, 2022
Northwest Missouri
My l5740 has steering issues the steering wheel does not always turn the wheels, when it is not warm. Once it warms up and is full throttle it gets better, sometimes doesn't turn completely. You can stop back up then go forward again and it will work fine for a little bit. I talked to a dealer about it and he said to start by replaced all the hydraulic fluid and two filters, we did that and it helped but very little. My son seems to think it is slower on the hydrostatic forward and backward then when we bought it used three years ago. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The power steering is separate from other circuits although its pump is mounted to the back of the main pump.
Neither of these affects the hydrostatic trans.
An internal leak in the power steering cylinder has happened to other forum members on other models and usually produces confusing symptoms. It also does not show up as an external leak.
The power steering relief valve should be checked following this procedure.
The power steering controller has a safety feature wherein it will move the steering when the engine if off. It is called a GEROTOR standing for generated rotor. It is a valve which becomes a manual pump.
The steering should move to both extremes with the engine off but with much more effort.
forum L5740 steering.jpg

Dave

Reactions: 1 user