Kubuta Transmission style advice

Nelsont

Feb 26, 2012
New Auburn, WI
I know this is like asking what type of oil to use etc.
But looking to down size from my 2640 JD Farm tractor to about 1/2 the HP(70 to 35) and am interested in the Kubota machines. My question is what tranny is most reliable, lowest maintance cost and easiest to operate.
My JD had the reverser tranny and rely liked that for loader work.

My local dealer has a 1999 L3710 GST 4wd with loader and less than 700 hrs.
It has the glide shift transmission, asking $14500.

What can you tell me about this model/transmission reliability.

Any other things to look for that Kubota's may be known for is appreciated.

Tim;)

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Sorry, I am not familiar with that transmission, I have a hydraulic shuttle shift and HST. My choice for the smaller tractors is HST, but as you say, lots of opinions.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
My 1999 Grand L 3010 has the GST shuttle with over 1100hrs on it and no problems at all. Plenty easy to use for loader work. I bought it from my neighbor who was trading up to an M70 and he got the HST but I don't know why.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
At the bottom here they have a description of the glide shift transmission.

It's functionally equivalent to a shuttle or power shift transmission. It's only got one clutch so less to replace than a shuttle or power shift when it wears out. I believe it's harder to get to than a regular dry clutch and is probably more expensive but it shouldn't wear as quickly as a manually operated clutch can.

From what I hear all the Kubota trannys are pretty stout it's more personal preference and how much maintenance you're willing to do.

Hydrostatics are the best of all worlds, easy to use and easy to maintain. Change the fluids and filter and keep the peddle linkage well lubricated and it'll be quite pleasant to you. The only real catches I know of are you've got to trip the disconnect to move it without the engine on, you lose a little PTO HP, and you can't bump start it. The only other catch is they're boring to drive! :D I like to row me some gears!

Shuttle, power shift, glide shift are kinda like automatic transmissions. They behave themselves pretty well if you keep after the fluid changes but when the clutches wear out or something breaks you're out a big chunk of change. No direct experience here, that just what I've heard.

Manuals, be it syncromesh or crash box last forever, are forgiving of lax fluid changes, and parts are cheaper than any other transmission. I really enjoy the skill it takes to operate one well and they're tried and true and easy to work on. The down side is they can be a pain to use for start and stop type work like running the loader and depending on operator skill and use you may end up putting a clutch or two in it depending on how hard you use it.

They're all good choices but if you're doing lot of heavy stop and start work I'd go with the hydro. The shuttle or glide shift is probably on par here too but I don't don't have an informed opinion on them. I only do light property maintenance tasks with my machine and I like the manual but again, personal preference.

Reactions: 1 user

bcbull378

Equipment
GL3830,fel,brush hog,pallet forks,disc,gannon,auger,springtooth,plow,drag,ripper
Sep 6, 2011
Ventura Ca
I have a L3830 HST and I love the thing this is my first Kubota and wasn't sure Id even like the HST when I bought it .I was raise on our family ranch and it was Caterpillars with Direct drive transmission. My father was a Cat man and I had a hard time talking myself into buying a Kubota I love the little tractor it does have its place on the ranch , it'll never replace the heavy Cats but its a nice tool. The HST transmission preforms very well under all conditions I have throw at it . Ill buy another one someday the HST has my blessing.....Dan

Fallon

Equipment
L3200
Sep 10, 2013
Parker, CO
A HST is just a hydraulic pump attached to a hydraulic motor. Can most manufacturers make good hydraulic gear?

Probably a hair less reliability than a simple gear granny but more than something with internal clutches.

I love my HST.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have a friend with a 3410 gst and he has beat this tractor to death. Uses it more like a dozer than a tractor and he has had no problem with his tranny.

I believe the GST would be close to the reverser tranny that you are used to. If you get that tractor make sure it has SUDT or SUDT2 fluid in the tranny. If it has cheap oil installed you won't get the same performance and you won't be happy with it.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I have an L35 TLB with Glide Shift and nearly 1400 hrs. No problems and easy to use. Also I find it great for Front End Loader work. Because I have very stiff ankles, I believe I would have trouble with operating the HST peddle although it is very popular with many.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Nelson,

I have driven both, an old 53 ford with NO sychro gears and other shift on the fly's.....
As good as the shuttle is, I think that the HST is the best. One persons opinion......
Rather than change engine speed to the gear you are using, the HST does it all in one motion. True it isnt bulletproof like "gears" and it whines like a woman mad at cha!!;) But I love mine.....and even shifting from HI to LO range isnt all that bad!:eek: