Kubota won’t start

Reginaldjamesberry

Equipment
Mini digger
Sep 7, 2023
Oxfordshire
Hi
I have a Kubota U10-3 mini digger, with a really odd problem, it turns over fine it seems to be trying to start but unless I push or pull one of the drive hydraulic levers it will not run !

It simply turns over & won’t start, push one of the levers whilst turning it over and starts absolutely fine.
any ideas ?
I have replaced

Head gasket
Injectors
Glow plugs
Filters
Solenoid

but the fault remains exactly the same
Reg Berry
Oxfordshire

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Reg,

I am somewhat taken back at the length of parts that you have replaced!

Not knowing the specifics of your machine - what you are describing is a safety switch that is causing your problems. I would imagine there are switches attached to each of the "levers" and one is not closed or open depending on it's specific design.

Reactions: 2 users

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
The interlock switches usually prevent turnover.
His is cranking fine but doesn't start.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The interlock switches usually prevent turnover.
His is cranking fine but doesn't start.
True - but the fact he wiggles something and it does start tells me something is amiss electrical wise.

Reginaldjamesberry

Equipment
Mini digger
Sep 7, 2023
Oxfordshire
massive thanks for your thoughts.
I don't think there is any safety switch, mainly because I can’t think what it would control ? As far as I can see the only thing that stops the engine is the solenoid?

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
massive thanks for your thoughts.
I don't think there is any safety switch, mainly because I can’t think what it would control ? As far as I can see the only thing that stops the engine is the solenoid?
Now find out where the fault is in the solenoid circuit.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What does the lever control? I think it is a hydraulic valve lever and moving the lever unloads the hydraulic pump and the engine. That allows the engine to run since the hydraulic fluid can flow more freely?

Would you be able to disconnect the hydraulic system from the engine easily? I doubt that it would be very easily done. But perhaps you can find a way to get the hydraulic pump to have no flow restriction and decide if that is the problem?

Reginaldjamesberry

Equipment
Mini digger
Sep 7, 2023
Oxfordshire
What does the lever control? I think it is a hydraulic valve lever and moving the lever unloads the hydraulic pump and the engine. That allows the engine to run since the hydraulic fluid can flow more freely?

Would you be able to disconnect the hydraulic system from the engine easily? I doubt that it would be very easily done. But perhaps you can find a way to get the hydraulic pump to have no flow restriction and decide if that is the problem?