Kubota tiller not spinning

red347lx

May 6, 2018
US
First of all I am a tractor newby..baught a house that came with a Kubota b2150 with tiller, blade and mower deck.
Tried hooking up the tiller today and I am having issues with it.
All hooked up correctly, but the PTO doesn't drive the tines . It engages the rear spline on the tiller but just sounds like it is grinding. Unhook the pto and I can spin the tines which does spin the pto shaft on the tiller. Any ideas what I am doing wrong? Thanks and be kind, I am new to the whole tractor lifestyle...Nate

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

red347lx

May 6, 2018
US
Also, with the tiller raised, I can spin the tines without the driveshaft spinning. That doesn't seem right to me...

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So the PTO on the tractor will spin but the tines don't, look for a shear pin on the unit.
besides that your looking at a repair of something that has broken.

To get better answers, pictures and/or tiller model #'s really help. ;)

red347lx

May 6, 2018
US
BL60c is the tiller model #
The PTO works fine with or without the tiller attached.
The gearbox shaft on the top of the tiller spins when the pto is engaged which I believe means something isn't right in the gearbox itself...
Are parts available for these still?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Are you sure you didn't break a shear bolt? That's usually the most common issue for why the tines aren't spinning.

Edit: Never mind, I see that was already a suggestion. Having technical difficulties with my tablet :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The tillers I've used had a chain drive for the tines. PTO operated a sprocket that in turn operated the chain drive. If I remember right, the shear pin was on the shaft for the tines.

There was a side cover that needed to be removed for easy access to the shear bolt. Had to spin the tines to line the hole back up.

I checked the Kubota website, they do have the illustrated parts list. You need to except terms and conditions. Then click on the wild card option when you type in the model number.

Last edited:

red347lx

May 6, 2018
US
The tillers I've used had a chain drive for the tines. PTO operated a sprocket that in turn operated the chain drive. If I remember right, the shear pin was on the shaft for the tines.

There was a side cover that needed to be removed for easy access to the shear bolt. Had to spin the tines to line the hole back up.

I checked the Kubota website, they do have the illustrated parts list. You need to except terms and conditions. Then click on the wild card option when you type in the model number.
Thanks, I did check that out, but didn't find a diagram of the gearbox on top of the tiller. I'll try and search a little further tomorrow. Weather is supposed to be fair tomorrow, hopefully I can get it figured out then.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I understand from your posts the following:
The tractor PTO seems to work correctly. It spins with nothing attached and does actually drive the tiller input shaft. Is that correct?

The PTO shaft on my different brand tiller has a strange shear pin arrangement. The yoke at the tiller end has a tab that has the shear bolt through both tabs. The yoke is split and has a simple ball bearing arrangement in case the shear bolt fails, the tractor end would be able to rotate while the tiller side would be static. If the ball bearing was rusty it would make some noise.

Does the input shaft into the gearbox rotate by hand? If so do the tines rotate (if tiller is off the ground)?

You may be able to easily remove the gearbox and see if it rotates easily

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

red347lx

May 6, 2018
US
The sheer pin appears to have been replaced at some point with a normal bolt.

I can't spin the input shaft on the gearbox by hand when the clutch shaft is not on..

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Start by removing the chain case cover and see what's going on in there, But that gear box does not sound good at all! :eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The sheer pin appears to have been replaced at some point with a normal bolt.

I can't spin the input shaft on the gearbox by hand when the clutch shaft is not on..
The "shear pin" is going to be just a normal bolt on that setup.

Do you mean you can spin the gearbox shaft when the PTO shaft is not on it?

red347lx

May 6, 2018
US
Took the cover off, chain and sprockets look great, next up. Remove the gearbox[emoji848]

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
Does the input shaft on your gearbox turn when you turn the tiller tines by hand. Pull the PTO shaft off the gear box and try turning the shaft by hand. If it turns the times it will probably be Ok. Check that shear pin. I have seen them snap and both ends stay in the shaft making it look like they are OK.