Kubota PTO gearbox query?

Simon Rozenberg

Equipment
KUBOTA GL260
Oct 9, 2023
Italy
Hi everyone,
Total beginner who's aquired a KUBOTA GL260 compact tractor with probably Too many features!
I want to connect and run a PTO driver Flail Mower But concerned about What Gear the PTO should be in to achieve the desired 540r/min?

Also the Controls box on RH side next to seat? what does it do??

Also any suggestions WHERE to get hold of a user manual for the KUBOTA GL260

Thanks,

Simon.
IMG_6926.jpeg
IMG_6928.jpeg

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Sounds like a good time to find and meet Japanese people. I've liked every one that I met.

I'm sure that once you build some trust, they will translate it all for you.

Years ago, I had neighbors that were Japanese, and they translated some things for me.

Or, put an add on Craigslist for a Japanese translator... one who can read and write in Japanese. Give them a few bucks. $100 or so.

Get a label maker and go to town on your dash and PTO.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
One of toggle switches is probably Godzilla related.

My countenance beams down upon that tractor with satisfaction.

(y)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi everyone,
Total beginner who's aquired a KUBOTA GL260 compact tractor with probably Too many features!
I want to connect and run a PTO driver Flail Mower But concerned about What Gear the PTO should be in to achieve the desired 540r/min?

Also the Controls box on RH side next to seat? what does it do??

Also any suggestions WHERE to get hold of a user manual for the KUBOTA GL260

Thanks,

Simon. View attachment 124395 View attachment 124394
I used Google lens on my Android to translate the labels. Not 100% satisfactory but it got me pretty close.

No refetence to Godzilla in the results. 😂

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I had acquired a WW2 Type 94 Nambu pistol with it’s original leather holster in excellent conditon at a San Antonio gun show. The inside flap of the holster had a lot of Kanji/hiragana/katakana script hand-written in ink.
We had long-time neighbors of American birth and Japanese descent (He was a cancer research physician at M.D. Anderson and had been interned while She was interned at a different camp… despite their being married, native-born Americans …who were full-adult children of native-born Americans….because she had volunteered to drive/deliver U.S. Army vehicles and he was the camp physician at a different camp. They lost their California home and 800 year old family atifacts/antiques when they were incarcerated. After the war they moved to Houston. Their son Edmund (“Buzzy”) and I were in Boy Scouts together (Edmund became a diplomate in the U.S. Consul in Mexico in the 1980’s.) Their daughter married the U.S. Atty Gen in the late ‘70s.
When congress authorized reparations for incarceration of Japanese Americans in the ’80s…they refused it.
My point being they were loyal, patriotic Americans who loyally donated their talents during the war… and they were even more dedicated subsequently.

When I asked Mrs. Sutow to translate the Script inside the holster flap… she read through it silently….then responded to me thusly:

”The holster was made by a family for the war production. Raw materials were dropped off at the door of homes in the evenings, and the occupants would assemble the materials and return the completed item to their doorstep where it would be picked up in the early morning hours.
The script inside the flap is a “prayer” to the end-user for success and for the item to provide protection to the user in the Western Theatre.” — (which would have been China and Burma at that time) —- That was the succinct answer/translation she gave me….and I later decided she was perhaps reluctant to give a more detailed translation.

Why I think that is…. The Sutow family often hosted/sponsored international students while the students attended the U. of Houston nearby. I had many friendships with those students…in fact, I was the flight instructor of one of them, Ichiro Fujita, who became a “best friend” of mine. Ichiro completed his primary flight training with me and polished his English in the process. He later returned to Japan and flew a Falcon business jet for a Japanese businessman… but sadly developed stomach cancer and died in his early 30’s….just before completing initial training at Japan Air Lines.

Whenever I tried to learn more about the culture of the Japanese students who lived and were sponsored by the Sutow’s… Mrs. Sutow was helpful, educational, enthusiastic….and thorough….with her information.
BUT…whenever political or religious or Japanese patriotic beliefs were brought-up… She was vague and apparently reluctant to provide me with detailed insight to their (the native Japanese students) emotions. Mrs. Sutow would tell me, “It would be difficult for a natural American to understand the connection between a native Japanese and his/her religious and patriotic beliefs.“
Whenever I pressed her on the subject, she would say, “You would not undertand.” She was not being evasive. She was not being “protective” of them. She was as American as myself.… but I finally realized that she was doing me a favor…. by reserving her comments, she was allowing me to have comfortable and intimate friendships with truly wonderful, gifted, and intelligent young people…without ruining the relationships with little-understood political differences.

Back to the pistol and holster— (I suspect it was strongly-worded and in the twentieth-century might have been inflammatory to a young American. I think Mrs. Sutow “softened” her description of the writing in the holster. I think this because a few years later, needing funds to pay a divorce lawyer, I sold that pistol/holster to a Texas High School history-teacher who owned a well-respected gun shop in So. Austin. When I included a description of the writings to him, he was thrilled to buy it.
When twenty years later I was in his shop…. we revisited that matter…. and he told me he had displayed it to a visiting professor from Japan who was quite disturbed to see it…. and told him it was quite war-like writing and ”encouraged the owner to ruthless use of it.“
I had hoped to buy-it-back…but Chuck had sold it to a Japanese collector years earlier.

Mrs. Sutow was being kind to my feelings. She passed in the late ‘90s. Edmund died suddenly of a heart attack in his early ‘40s and left a Mexican-national wife and children, and Dr. Sutow died of a type of cancer for-which He Himself had actually found a curative treatment…but he refused his own treatment while he completed documentation….for fear the treatment would require him to publicly acknowledge it to his employer (M.D. Anderson) …who would forcibly interrupt his research before he documented it.
He knowingly and selflessly went to his death in order to save others.

I hope this true story can help absolve prejudice against those who are “different” than ourselves.

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
We're not out of the woods, yet.

Any reference to "Kaiju" or "Jaeger"?
No but I am struggling to understand what the "monro" is that this switch/lever raises and lowers. There are other buttons also related to operation of the "monro".

Dan
Screenshot_20240317_123339_Google.jpg

• Wow

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
mountaineering
any separate mountain peak over 3000 feet high: originally used of Scotland only but now sometimes extended to other parts of the British Isles
Really confused by this reply to “why is it Monroe?”

I do recall seeing references to Monroe Matic on some Kubota models that control the tractor

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No but I am struggling to understand what the "monro" is that this switch/lever raises and lowers. There are other buttons also related to operation of the "monro".

Dan View attachment 124451
Monromatic is the "brand name" of the electric hitch and hydraulic controls.
It's like "K Connect"

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Oh don't even try figuring it out, Hagrid is on a whole different plane of though!
You beat me to that!!!

I already knew a monro was a small mountain and Hagrid's response was right in character. I am a bit warped myself and I enjoy his warped sense of humor 😂

Dan

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I just wanted a control knob/toggle to reference Godzilla, dammit.

• Haha

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Well I see the link between Monro and the response now! Never heard of Munro before
Munros
Main articles: Munro, List of Munro mountains, and List of Munros in Scotland by Section
Ben Hope, in the Flow Country, is the most northerly Munro
The Munros are mountains in Scotland with elevation of over 3,000 feet (914.4 m).[40] The list was originally compiled by Sir Hugh Munro in 1891, and is modified from time to time by the Scottish Mountaineering Club (SMC),[14][41] an example being the delisting in December 2020 of Stob Coire na Cloiche as a Munro top, now recognised as being of only 912.5 metres (2,994 ft).[42]Unlike most other lists, the Munros do not depend on a rigid prominence criterion for entry; instead, those that satisfy the subjective measure of being a "separate mountain" are regarded as Munros, while subsidiary summits are given the status of Munro Tops.[9] There are 282 Munros, and 226 further Munro Tops, totalling 508 summits, all of them in the Scottish Highlands.[40][14]

Real Munro is used to describe Munros with a prominence of over 150 metres (490 ft) (the Marilyn prominence threshold),[43] and there are 202 Real Munros in Scotland. Of the 282 Scottish Munros, 54 meet the 600 metres (1,969 ft) prominence threshold to be classified as P600s.[44]

Metric Munro is used to describe the Munros with an elevation above 1,000 metres (3,300 ft) and a prominence either over 200 metres (660 ft) (of which there are 88), or a prominence over 100 metres (330 ft) (of which there are 130),[45] but the term is not in widespread use.[44]

• Haha