Kubota L6060HSTC Stalling

havetosk1

Equipment
Kubota L6060HSTC
Jan 10, 2024
Park City, Utah
I have a 2016 Kubota L6060HSTC Tractor and since I have owned it in the winter time it stalls on occasion. I have changes the fuel filter, drained the water/fuel separator, replaced the water/fuel separator (per the local dealer), I am the Kubota Fuel Additive for the cold weather, my fuel is stored indoors and show no signs of water in it and the dealership has no idea as to what is going on. Today I was running it for about 30 minutes and everything was going fine and it stalled, I open up the fuel filler and waited about three minutes and it started, then about a half mile up the road (not using the rear blade or snow blower it stalled) and I could not get it started, I added more fuel and waited and it would not start. I called a neighbor and put my tractor in neutral and he towed my the 200 feet to my shop and the tractor started, so I just put it inside to warm up, no idea if this will help. I am getting to my wits end on how to deal with this as the dealership has no idea that the cause is, any help would be appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes exact details on how, when, and what actions your doing when it stalls will help narrow it down.
Id there any codes on the dash, any lights?
Do lights go out, does the dash go blank?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have a 2016 Kubota L6060HSTC Tractor and since I have owned it in the winter time it stalls on occasion. I have changes the fuel filter, drained the water/fuel separator, replaced the water/fuel separator (per the local dealer), I am the Kubota Fuel Additive for the cold weather, my fuel is stored indoors and show no signs of water in it and the dealership has no idea as to what is going on. Today I was running it for about 30 minutes and everything was going fine and it stalled, I open up the fuel filler and waited about three minutes and it started, then about a half mile up the road (not using the rear blade or snow blower it stalled) and I could not get it started, I added more fuel and waited and it would not start. I called a neighbor and put my tractor in neutral and he towed my the 200 feet to my shop and the tractor started, so I just put it inside to warm up, no idea if this will help. I am getting to my wits end on how to deal with this as the dealership has no idea that the cause is, any help would be appreciated.
I know someone with an L4060 and he had no end of stalling issues a few months ago. He replaced the fuel pump, swore that he'd drained the water/fuel separator, swore that his fuel had no water (plastic storage tank), and did some other things but all to no avail. I seem to remember that once he took it to the local dealer they figured out that the fuel pickup in the tank was sitting in water and the water was frozen.

Reactions: 1 user

havetosk1

Equipment
Kubota L6060HSTC
Jan 10, 2024
Park City, Utah
Does it stall when you try driving or stall sitting there at idle?
For today's incidents the first one happened while I was in Rabbit mode in Medium Gear about 1800 rpms going backwards on flat ground pushing snow backwards with a rear blade. The second one happened about 20 minutes later going up a road about 2% grade about 2,000 rpm's with no rear blade or snowblower. The second time I had to have a neighbor pull me off the road since I could not get it restarted. I also have about 700 hrs on the machine and regularly change the oil, oil filter, fuel filter and hydraulic fluid and filters. The machine is currently sitting in a heated garage while it is snowing outside.

havetosk1

Equipment
Kubota L6060HSTC
Jan 10, 2024
Park City, Utah
Yes exact details on how, when, and what actions your doing when it stalls will help narrow it down.
Id there any codes on the dash, any lights?
Do lights go out, does the dash go blank?
When it dies, the rpm's just reduce quickly and it stalls out. There are no codes or other lights on the dash other than if you had the key turned to accessory mode. Years ago the deal came and hooked up to the tractor looking for codes and there were none.

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
I’ll take a SWAG…It sounds like a fuel icing issue. I’d make sure that additive addresses icing which occurs above the gelling point. If you’re still using #2 diesel I’d find some #1 diesel and add it to the tank.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have these same issues happened when it was warm?
And what are the temps where you are at?

havetosk1

Equipment
Kubota L6060HSTC
Jan 10, 2024
Park City, Utah
Have these same issues happened when it was warm?
And what are the temps where you are at?
NO it does not happen in the summer at all, the temperatures here are in the high single digits at night to the high teens in the after noon. I have the machine plugged in when outside with the block heater otherwise it is in my garage that sits at 50 degrees while there are no storms coming.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
NO it does not happen in the summer at all, the temperatures here are in the high single digits at night to the high teens in the after noon. I have the machine plugged in when outside with the block heater otherwise it is in my garage that sits at 50 degrees while there are no storms coming.
Have you treated the fuel with a biocide and anti gel?
Sounds like you have water (ice) and crud in the tank randomly clogging the pickup.

These are my 2 go to's
Stanadyne
Soltron (NOT Startron)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
When it dies, the rpm's just reduce quickly and it stalls out. There are no codes or other lights on the dash other than if you had the key turned to accessory mode. Years ago the deal came and hooked up to the tractor looking for codes and there were none.
Seat sensor

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Since new in 2016, always stored inside other that when we are set to have a winter storm, than it is outside plugged in.
So what I gather from reading your initial post, you either have had a 'water in fuel" problem since it was new....which means an ongoing, 8 year long, "water in fuel problem"???.....That only appears in the winter....

.....Or possibly you have some sort of "bad connection/sensor/wiring" problem that only rears it's ugly head when it gets cold, shrinks a little , and looses the connection???..... That only appears in the winter. Just a thought............

Best/easiest to rule out the fuel stuff first I guess.....

I certainly don't envy you, if you have to chase the latter of those Gremlins.......

nota4re

Premium Member

Equipment
Case 580M Turbo; Kioti DK4210SE-CH; Kubota L2501 (Traded-in)
Aug 16, 2019
Newhall, CA
It is almost certainly a fuel issue. Electrical is a possibility - but far more likely to be fuel based on what you have provided thus far. I too think it may be icing/milky fuel. When you stall out, can you remove the fuel filter and see if fuel looks clear or if it looks cloudy/white? If the later, then it is the cold. Maybe someone here can comment if your tractor has a fuel heater or not?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Start by adding a full does of Soltron or any other biocide!
Let that work for 48 hours then drain all the fuel out into clean buckets, do it before the separator (1).
Let the fuel sit in a warm environment for a couple hours then look for water in the bottom of the buckets.
If it's clean return to use, if it has water carefully drain off the clean fuel then dump the rest.
Once that is done return the fuel to the tanks then remove the line at the output of the separator (2) and check for good flow.
If good flow return line.
Then remove line at input to lift pump (3)
If good flow return line.
Then remove at line at output of lift pump (4)
Put a small piece of hose that will reach into bucket or fuel can and turn ignition to on, do not start it.
You should get good flow out of pump.
Report back what you find.

L6060.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It is almost certainly a fuel issue. Electrical is a possibility - but far more likely to be fuel based on what you have provided thus far. I too think it may be icing/milky fuel. When you stall out, can you remove the fuel filter and see if fuel looks clear or if it looks cloudy/white? If the later, then it is the cold. Maybe someone here can comment if your tractor has a fuel heater or not?
No fuel heaters on these.

havetosk1

Equipment
Kubota L6060HSTC
Jan 10, 2024
Park City, Utah
So what I gather from reading your initial post, you either have had a 'water in fuel" problem since it was new....which means an ongoing, 8 year long, "water in fuel problem"???.....That only appears in the winter....

.....Or possibly you have some sort of "bad connection/sensor/wiring" problem that only rears it's ugly head when it gets cold, shrinks a little , and looses the connection???..... That only appears in the winter. Just a thought............

Best/easiest to rule out the fuel stuff first I guess.....

I certainly don't envy you, if you have to chase the latter of those Gremlins.......
Here is what I did today, I will check out and do the other suggestions this weekend, but it is so much fun plowing a foot of snow... So my Kubota tractor was in my 49 degree barn overnight and I used it today for about 1.25 hrs with no issues. When I was done plowing I checked the vent lines and it was clean, there is no vent on the fuel cap. Some people online think there may be water in the tank and it is freezing when I leave the tractor outside when a storm is coming in and thus having the issue. I am not sure I believe that since the tractor works for over an hour before it stalls out and than normally I can restart it within minutes. The fuel additive that I was sold by Kubota and that I use is Enertech Labs Complete Fuel Treatment Extreme Formula.

FarmerPhilCan

Equipment
M7060 tractor with cab
Jan 16, 2024
Walters Falls Ontario, Canada
Could shrinkage of the plastic bulb be a possible cause for this issue? I have an M7060 delivered Dec 2017. Every winter, if we get a spell where the temp drops below -10 degrees C and stays that low, I have to eyeball the fuel level in the water separator regularly or risk the unit stalling out. When it does, the fix is take the separator apart, take it somewhere warm because there will be ice in it. Clean it, put it back on and it should be good for a couple days. As this happens every winter I have to wonder if the problem is that the plastic, not glass as they once were, bulb is contracting in the extreme cold and allowing air and moisture to leak in through the gasket. Temps last night were below -12C. This morning, checked the separator after running the tractor for 15 minutes (to warm up) and there was a 3/8" deep air bubble at the top. Water level indicator sitting at the bottom. Parked the tractor because I don't want to end up stuck in the field if/when it stalls out. Earlier in the week when the temp was above -10C, there was no air.