Kubota L3650

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
I am working on my aunts L3650 kubota. We just put a new clutch disc in it. While we where putting it back together I cross threaded the high pressure hydraulic feed line for the steering. I tried to rethread it on but I had cross threaded it to bad and now the hydraulic fluid just pours out. It looks like there is just a valve body for the steering. The high pressure feed. a low pressure return and what i would guess are the lines that send fluid out to make it turn right and left. Can this valve body be replaced or is it possible to just replace the stripped fitting? Unfortunately we dont have a shop manual on it so i am just going off my own experience. If i have to replace it does anyone know if there is an interchange with other models? It is the 4x4 model with a dry clutch. In need of help. Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That "valve body" is the steering controller, and DO NOT take it apart, if you do it will be junk as many parts have to be in an exact order, and no that bottom section is not available for sale separately.

You need to remove the entire controller and line, and take both to a hydraulic shop (not a cheap fly by night one either) and see if they can repair the fittings.

FYI: That is a $1600 part if still available

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
So I am trying to take the steering controller out. Went ahead and bought the shop manual online. I have followed all the directions for removal, all lines removed and it says it just slides out with the shaft but for some reason I don’t have the clearance to remove it. It hangs up on the shaft. Is it possible the shaft has stayed in place with the rest of the steering shaft above. My next option would be to remove the whole assembly of the transmission as it seems the hand throttle shaft is in the way. Unfortunately I can’t find any directions in the shop manual on how to do this. It looks like there is a piece of linkage and maybe 4 bolts and it lifts out?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you removed the 4 nuts on top of the steering controller?

With those off it should slide down off the shaft.

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
so trying to upload a picture of what im working with its attached not sure how it shows. So the book says the shaft I circled is supposed to come out with the controller. If i get the controller low enough to clear the shaft it jams and doesnt have the clearance to come out. Direct excert from the book.

Steering Controller Assemblly
1. Remove the bonnet support ( 1) . 2. Disconnect the four power steering hydraulic flared pipes (2) from the steering controller assembly. 3. Remove the three steering controller mounting nuts (3), then remove the steering controller assembly (4) and joint shaft (5) as a unit.
(

Attachments

Last edited:

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
yep. thanks for the assist. the stub shaft was rusted on to the steering shaft above it and wouldn't drop down. Put some heat on it, beat it with a brass drift, got a lucky unintended consequence. The knuckle didnt want to budge but i got the seal with the drift and popped the seal. gave me just enough clearance to clear the knuckle and pull the controller. put some grips on the knuckle got it knocked off. luckily the threads weren't that bad we were able to fix with a thread file. Now just have to get a new seal and put it all back together.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
yep. thanks for the assist. the stub shaft was rusted on to the steering shaft above it and wouldn't drop down. Put some heat on it, beat it with a brass drift, got a lucky unintended consequence. The knuckle didnt want to budge but i got the seal with the drift and popped the seal. gave me just enough clearance to clear the knuckle and pull the controller. put some grips on the knuckle got it knocked off. luckily the threads weren't that bad we were able to fix with a thread file. Now just have to get a new seal and put it all back together.
Excellent to hear! :D

rsfox

Equipment
L3650
Sep 5, 2019
NORTH BEND
Ok, need more help. Got the steering controller back in. Finished putting everything back together, started it up and when I pushed in on the clutch pedal it did not disengage the clutch. I know I need to check the free play in the pedal, but I don not see how there would be more free play with a new clutch over the old clutch. Unfortunately trying to adjust the pedal free play we broke part of the rod going into the turn buckle so I am going to order another tomorrow. I am just trying to cover my basis as to what else I would need to be looking at other than free play. I know the book says to check the clearance on the nuts on the release lever. Supposed to be an access on the right hand side of the flywheel cover but as of yet we haven't found one. We replaced the throw out bearing when we put the new clutch in. Is the some adjustment with the fork that engages the throw out that we might have over looked? Any help is appreciated.