Kubota L275 Title?

Lil'Jsp1985

Equipment
Kubota L275 Tractor
Oct 28, 2020
Orlando, Florida, United states
Hello! This is my first post here, so bear with me please. I have a 1980's model Kubota L275 and I need to know if tractors like this came with titles. If they didn't how do I go about seeing who owns it? It was bought used back some 30+ years ago by my grandfather, and it's been here at the house ever since, minus a few trips here and there to do some work. (We live in Florida if that helps) If anybody could shed some light on this subject, It is greatly appreciated. Thanks In advance.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I don't know about other states but in mine you do not get a title for a tractor. You get a Bill of Sale at the time you purchase it. If you can find the original Bill of Sale it will show the name and address of the original purchaser.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You could check the serial number to find out where it was sold new and go back from there if the dealer is still in business.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
With a tractor if you have the serial number you can check UCC for liens (not likely in your case) and check with law enforcement to see if it’s listed stolen (also not likely in your case).

Past that you have two paths: 1) a genealogy type search through the chain of custody back to the dealer that sold it new; 2) assume whoever has it owns it (usually after checking for liens and theft as noted above).

For untitled property there is a good bit of validity to the old saying, “possession is 9/10 of the law.” If it’s sitting on my property, I have the key, and I say it’s mine; good chance it’s mine.

Reactions: 1 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The local sheriff may not have anything other than local info on a tractor‘s theft-history. Unless an item (such as a firearm) is registered with NCIC it may not be known beyond local jurisdicitions. The local sheriff OR the county attorney and tax office would likely know if the local dealer has an outstanding unpaid work order and has placed a mechanics lien on the tractor.

When I bought my ’96 M4700, I took down the serial number and called my local Kubota dealer who told me the selling dealer (which was located down in Baytown, Tx. I called them and they gave me the service info as well as the original owner. I contacted the original owner and confirmed he sold it to the name selling it to me. I had a Bill of Sale signed by my seller in which he sold it “ subject to the laws of the U.S. and the state of Texas, free of all liens and encumbrances, and warranting the seller would take any steps necessary to perfect the sale”. The Bill of sale includes photostatic copies of both our driver’s licenses.

Beyond that....it’s kinda what NCL4701 posted.