Kubota L2600DT lift arms not working - help!

Ray in Texas

Equipment
L2600DT
Jan 14, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
The lift on my Kubota L2600DT stopped working. I had recently taken the cover off of the gears under the seat to replace a high/low shifter part that had broken internally. I've used the front-end loader several times since the repair, but when i needed to use the lift for the 3-point it would only go down and is now 'limp' and has no resistance. You can lift it up and down easily.

It seems like i'm not getting enough fluid to the lift arm circuit. Any suggestions? I'm thinking somewhere something, like dirt or gasket sealer, blocked the fluid from flowing to the lift arms. Maybe the filter?

I've never changed the filter. If it is clogged wouldn't it affect the loader too? I'm also wondering how to access the filter. I figure i might as well change it since the tractor is ten years old.

I have noticed that when I move the lift control lever back and forth the rod on the opposite side of the housing, with a linkage that goes back to the left lift arm, does not move. But, in the parts diagram i have it looks like it doesn't have to since the lift arms usually play catch up with the control lever as the fluid works.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Did you drain the trans when you changed the gears? The 3pt pump is driven off the fuel cam shaft on the right side and uses the trans as it's sump. It definitely sounds like the pump has lost it's prime. It could be because the fluid pickup tube drained or the filter is clogged. It doesn't have a filter per se, more of a strainer but yeah it might be clogged with gunk and metal shavings. It's down on the bottom of the trans probably on the opposite side of the pickup tube.

Clean the strainer and then remove the upper and lower tubes from the pump. Fill the lower tube (the pickup) with fresh fluid as high as it will go, reattach, add fluid to the top of the pump and let it sit for a while til the fluid filters down through the pump. Reattach the pressure tube and try it. Hold the 3pt lever in the lift position til it primes.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I've used the front-end loader several times since the repair
If it lost it's prime then the loader wouldn't have worked.

Ray, just as a shot in the dark check the hyd lines that supply the loader. Make sure they are all connected propperly. The fluid passes thru the loader valve and then supplies the 3pt. If the loader is working I don't think that's the problem but it's worth checking.

When you had the cover off did you remove the hyd block? Maybe it now has a damaged o-ring or something of that nature.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Do they use the same pump? I assumed it used a low GPM 3pt pump and a larger one driven off the front of the crank for the FEL. That's the setup I'm familiar with.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Stumpy, it has a gear driven pump on the right side of the engine. This one pump supplies hyd oil for the entire tractor. My old 7100 had a setup like you were talking about though.

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
Not familiar with the 2600 but I'm thinking Bulldog got this one. Hydraulic quick connect coupler under the FEL valve has come unhooked.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Ahh! Ok well then I concur the pump hasn't lost it's prime. Partially disconnected lines is a good thing to look at, played that game with snow plow hydraulics before. Just a thought: Is there some sort of selector valve on the hydraulics that allows you to bypass the 3pt? I seem to remember there being some sort of valve like that on some machines.

Ray in Texas

Equipment
L2600DT
Jan 14, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Thanks for the replies. I've been down with a sinus infection or would have responded sooner. First, I don't know what an FEL valve is and can't find it on the PDF parts diagram I have.

I get great service and phone support from my Kubota dealer here and what we're wondering is if i somehow knocked something loose with a control valve (FEL?) when i put the top back on.

I've attached an image of what i did which is fix a broken hi/lo gear part. I did drain the fluid to get the broken part from the bottom of the transmission, but did nothing else while in there.

The other image is from the parts diagram i have. The two arrows in the lower image point to a valve that controls the arms. I'm thinking when i put the cover back on i could have somehow knocked part (no. 260) in the top image (one arrow) loose from the valve.

Before i go back in there i just want to make sure i don't take it apart and find out it was something else. I only disconnected three hoses and they are all back in the right places.

Again, thanks for the support.

Attachments

Ray in Texas

Equipment
L2600DT
Jan 14, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
OK, yesterday i took off the cover and checked out the linkage connecting to the valve seems to work OK. What i did notice is the actual Piston-like mechanism seems stuck in the recessed position. It is obviously not getting oil.

I"m guessing i have a clog here somewhere. I loosened the hydraulic oil line coming from the engine and it isn't clogged.

I removed the adjustment mechanism that varies the pressue to the lift arms and it seemed clean.

Any other suggestions? I DID NOT remove the control valve. Is there some way that it could be clogged?

Any suggestions out there? I'm about ready to load it up and take it in to my kubota dealer.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Is there a diverter valve that changes flow from Fel to hitch or is that what you are refering to when you mention valve?
dave

Ray in Texas

Equipment
L2600DT
Jan 14, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
The valve i'm referring to is inside. The FEL works and there is another valve on the outside that controls it.

So, i guess the answer is there is no diverter valve. I just made another repair and this is too much of a coincidence for something to have failed. I just feel like somewhere, something is clogged.

Last edited:

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
The Front End Loader (FEL) valve is the lever used to raise/lower/tilt your bucket. Should be several hoses (three I think) that all use quick connect couplers. These couplers will be located below the valve and are used to aid in removing the FEL from the tractor. Double check these couplers and make sure they are securely fashioned....If the right one is disconnected your FEL will work fine but you lose everything on the 3pt end. Ask me how I know.....

Ray in Texas

Equipment
L2600DT
Jan 14, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
All the hoses were secure.

I took the top of of the gear/transmission area again and cleaned everything out the best i could. Used an air compressor and blew through all the oil paths. I don't know what else to do so i think i'm going to just load it up and take it in.

Still, i know it's something easy. For some reason the hydraulics aren't pushing the cylinder that raises the lift arms. Maybe it's the valve, but that would be a big coincidence.

Ray in Texas

Equipment
L2600DT
Jan 14, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Problem was a clog. Evidently one of the hoses must have got some debris in it when i had them disconnected for the time I was working in the gear box. I guess it took a while for it to go through the system until it found a place to clog. I had checked them before i put them back on. Next time i'll be more careful and cover them.

Sorry, about the delay in answering RWs post. The notification email went to my spam folder and i just noticed it. Tractor has been running great ever since.

Last edited: