Kubota L140 steering

rusty27

Equipment
1974 kubota L140
May 9, 2011
ozark, al
I need some help plz...i am a soldier and just got stationed at fort rucker alabama. We have just inherited my father n laws kubota L140 upon his death. the tractor runs good except yesterday the steering box went out. i have the box loose but my problem is i cant figure out how to get the steering arm or link disconnected from the box so i can finish getting the gear box off the tractor. plz dont laugh, its probably something simple but i cant figure it out. anybody plz?

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Rusty,

Read the articles, Service Dept Vic has a couple of good ones reguarding steering box repair.

When the steering box went out on my L175, I separated the tie rod end from the arm coming from the steering box with one of the pickle fork type tie rod tools, then used a gear puller to remove the arm from the box itself (I couldn't find my pitman arm puller). It was a PITA to get it to break loose, but once it came loose the rest of it was easy.

As long as you don't need a new steering shaft or gear box, the cost isn't that bad to rebuild one, just don't loose any of the ball bearings in the worm gear (mine had 59 of the little rascals).

Also getting the lower bearing race out after it has rusted in place for a few decades isn't a whole lot of fun.

If you do a search on steering box, there should be a lot of posts that can give you ideas.

Good Luck,

Robert

Last edited:

rusty27

Equipment
1974 kubota L140
May 9, 2011
ozark, al
I need some help plz...i am a soldier and just got stationed at fort rucker alabama. We have just inherited my father n laws kubota L140 upon his death. the tractor runs good except yesterday the steering box went out. i have the box loose but my problem is i cant figure out how to get the steering arm or link disconnected from the box so i can finish getting the gear box off the tractor. plz dont laugh, its probably something simple but i cant figure it out. anybody plz?
ok, i finally got the steering arm off after purchasing the right tool for the job. i have the steering gear box out of the tractor, now i need to find a rebuild kit or some adviceon what and where i can find it.

davemskinner

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Sold ZD28F, Bought04 Grnd L4330 /frnt mnt snwblwer L2185, hted/AC cab, 2nd ZD28F
Mar 12, 2011
Pulaski, NY
You are in great hands here on this forum. I would just like to say thank you for your service! It is seriously appreciated!!!!!