Kubota has spoiled me!

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I used to have a U-25 mini X, with only 300 hours on it, in addition to my L3301, but after completing several major dirt moving projects with it, and after it sat in my shop taking up room for almost a year, unused, I sold it a year ago. Now I'm going thru a bit of a withdrawl. I started binge watching mini x's from China videos, the cheap ones you can get for less than 10K, while at the same time researching backhoe attachments for my tractor. I ended up ordering a..... Piranha blade.

The cheapie China mini's would be intolerable for me I decided, maybe not to someone with no prior quality mini X experience, especially when their low cost is considered, but after operating the low time 25, anything less would be, less.

I had a hoe on an earlier Kubota, sold it 15 years ago, don't remember the model but it had the little 3 banger engine, and I loved it. UNTIL I later got the 25, NOTHING compares to a mini X, in how much dirt it can move, a rear mount hoe on my tractor I decided, would also be intolerable. So, remembering the posts here on the Piranha blade, I ordered one a few days ago. My immediate need involves no actual digging, more grading than anything else, yet too much for a scraper blade,
IMG_20181021_152909118.jpg
the ground is rock free and especially easy digging in the spring. I feel like I just saved about 10K, in either a hoe or a cheap mini. I really don't have the need for another U-25, and I do have a nearby CAT rental yard if I come up with a project that involves some real digging, as of now I think the P blade will do the job. I also sold the dump bed trailer, another semi regret!

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I used to have a U-25 mini X, with only 300 hours on it, in addition to my L3301, but after completing several major dirt moving projects with it, and after it sat in my shop taking up room for almost a year, unused, I sold it a year ago. Now I'm going thru a bit of a withdrawl. I started binge watching mini x's from China videos, the cheap ones you can get for less than 10K, while at the same time researching backhoe attachments for my tractor. I ended up ordering a..... Piranha blade.

The cheapie China mini's would be intolerable for me I decided, maybe not to someone with no prior quality mini X experience, especially when their low cost is considered, but after operating the low time 25, anything less would be, less.

I had a hoe on an earlier Kubota, sold it 15 years ago, don't remember the model but it had the little 3 banger engine, and I loved it. UNTIL I later got the 25, NOTHING compares to a mini X, in how much dirt it can move, a rear mount hoe on my tractor I decided, would also be intolerable. So, remembering the posts here on the Piranha blade, I ordered one a few days ago. My immediate need involves no actual digging, more grading than anything else, yet too much for a scraper blade, View attachment 125318 the ground is rock free and especially easy digging in the spring. I feel like I just saved about 10K, in either a hoe or a cheap mini. I really don't have the need for another U-25, and I do have a nearby CAT rental yard if I come up with a project that involves some real digging, as of now I think the P blade will do the job. I also sold the dump bed trailer, another semi regret!
While a mini-ex is a wonderful machine, it is really just a "one trick pony".
It can dig,....and dig well,....but that is really all it can do (also can move rocks and stumps).

A Kubota (medium) industrial size TLB, (read.... L45, L47, L48, M59, M62 etc.) is a lot more versatile.
At my urging, a friend just bought an M62.
It is the near perfect property owner/small project machine IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I pretty much agree, and that's why I'll never sell my 3301, but after running the 25, a hoe attachment on the tractor would be a poor substitute. My old tag team of the tractor AND the mini, combined with the dumpbed trailer, was a whole of fun to use, besides being an efficient combo, I had it all set up so well, going backwards capability wise will be hard to do! I think the Piranha blade is different enough in it's use, for me not to be comparing it to my previous equipment and whining about it. In snow removal alone, my tractor is a must have. I'm looking forward to figuring out the best use of the Piranha, and once again am thankful I have rock free property, especially appreciated as my earlier place just 1 mile away, was SO rocky.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I pretty much agree, and that's why I'll never sell my 3301, but after running the 25, a hoe attachment on the tractor would be a poor substitute. My old tag team of the tractor AND the mini, combined with the dumpbed trailer, was a whole of fun to use, besides being an efficient combo, I had it all set up so well, going backwards capability wise will be hard to do! I think the Piranha blade is different enough in it's use, for me not to be comparing it to my previous equipment and whining about it. In snow removal alone, my tractor is a must have. I'm looking forward to figuring out the best use of the Piranha, and once again am thankful I have rock free property, especially appreciated as my earlier place just 1 mile away, was SO rocky.
I absolutely DO agree !
A hoe attachment on an L3301 tractor "would be a poor substitute".
The dedicated Kubota TLB series machines are NOT just another tractor with a hoe hung on the back, as an L3301 would be.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I absolutely DO agree !
A hoe attachment on an L3301 tractor "would be a poor substitute".
The dedicated Kubota TLB series machines are NOT just another tractor with a hoe hung on the back, as an L3301 would be.
I get that they have more power etc. but they are still limited to only 160 degrees, or so, side swing, THAT is the deal breaker for me, after running the excavator. That and having to raise the stabilizers, swing the seat around or dismount and get in the tractor seat to re-position, it's so much easier and better with a mini in that respect also. Two different machines, different uses and results, if I had to choose one, it's the tractor, for most use year round, no question! But a TLB would be gross overkill for the rest of my tractor needs, snow removal and brush cutting, my 3301 is plenty big for what I ask of it. I frankly didn't even know what the TLB series was, I do now, good to know, meant more for commercial rather than homeowner type use no doubt, looks like a real piece of equipment. Looked at them some more, I now see why you stressed the word DEDICATED, ha ha. Not just a bigger tractor, but lots of subtle differences making it a better backhoe, a real hoe, rather than just an add on.

Last edited:

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
So far, I’ve been pleased with the bang for the buck provided by the Piranha bar v the smooth front bucket. Our place has clay (like a sun dried brick when dry; like a milkshake when wet) and a LOT of tree roots. The smooth front bucket wasn’t very good at cutting tree roots of any significance and wasn’t good at cutting dry clay. It was good at moving aggregates such as gravel and sand.

With the Piranha bar, it will cut roots and slice dry clay competently without requiring prior ripping. It’s by no means a backhoe or mini ex, but it is capable of actually doing some digging/grading in otherwise undisturbed soil with roots in it. To me, that’s a significant upgrade v the stock smooth front. Again, not a backhoe or mini-ex or even close to either. It’s a different thing altogether.

Hope you’re as pleased with your Piranha as I’ve been with mine.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
This may not apply to you, considering you have a larger machine than I do.
I actually regret buying my Piranha bar and wish I'd put the money towards a rock bucket.
I just got one (a rock bucket) the other day and have been using it to tear up roots and brush and it works much better than the Piranha bar on my regular bucket.
Also has the added benefit of keeping (at least some of) the dirt there and only removing the debris.

I also got a stump bucket and so far it's been significantly better than my backhoe for doing certain backhoe type work ( stuff the front bucket would normally be too big for).

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I get that they have more power etc. but they are still limited to only 160 degrees, or so, side swing, THAT is the deal breaker for me, after running the excavator. That and having to raise the stabilizers, swing the seat around or dismount and get in the tractor seat to re-position, it's so much easier and better with a mini in that respect also. Two different machines, different uses and results, if I had to choose one, it's the tractor, for most use year round, no question!
You can run a mulching head on an excavator and swing it around with abandon along with a number of other attachments not available or totally impractical on a backhoe. A tractor with a backhoe is compromise, and claiming anything else is either delusional or ignorant. They're a jack of all trades and master of none. Not only that, the controls on modern excavators are light years ahead of backhoes. Some people have to convince themselves that their choice is the best choice, but anyone who actually uses tractors and excavators is well aware of the myriad benefits of an excavator over a backhoe on a tractor.

An excavator is in my future. A 5 ton model or bigger from Kubota, Takeuchi or Yanmar with the first two being my preference.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
You can run a mulching head on an excavator and swing it around with abandon along with a number of other attachments not available or totally impractical on a backhoe. A tractor with a backhoe is compromise, and claiming anything else is either delusional or ignorant. They're a jack of all trades and master of none. Not only that, the controls on modern excavators are light years ahead of backhoes. Some people have to convince themselves that their choice is the best choice, but anyone who actually uses tractors and excavators is well aware of the myriad benefits of an excavator over a backhoe on a tractor.

An excavator is in my future. A 5 ton model or bigger from Kubota, Takeuchi or Yanmar with the first two being my preference.
I run a 30 ton boom truck for a living, and have for over 20 years, it has 360 degrees swing, is rear mounted with a heated/ac'd enclosed cab, and it will work the heck out of a behind the cab type boom truck, which do not have what we call continuous rotation. The difference is similar to what we are talking about here, and why I know I'd be unhappy with a hoe on my tractor, I'm spoiled!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I run a 30 ton boom truck for a living, and have for over 20 years, it has 360 degrees swing, is rear mounted with a heated/ac'd enclosed cab, and it will work the heck out of a behind the cab type boom truck, which do not have what we call continuous rotation. The difference is similar to what we are talking about here, and why I know I'd be unhappy with a hoe on my tractor, I'm spoiled!
I'm agreeing with you and it's good that you have the experience and knowledge to know what you need. A backhoe on a tractor is nothing like an excavator as you know. If you can have an excavator and a tractor that is the way to go. I used the backhoe on my BX25D for five years and it was useful, but also very limited. I rented an excavator for serious work where efficiency was important. I like tractors and I find my two incredibly useful, but don't kid myself that any tractor has the utility of specialized machines such as front-end loaders, excavators and bulldozers.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
yup... choosing right tool for the job is important.

1712071743431.png

1712071858406.jpeg

a proper pack-out
1712072074548.png

Reactions: 1 users

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I stopped by my local K dealer today on the way to a crane job, I can rent their little mini (forgot the model, 2000+ pounds, small) for $220 a day (8 hr tach time) if I pick it up with my trailer. That's so cheap there is no way I can NOT do that instead of buy another machine I'll only use a few hours a year, darn it! Also, it $80.00 cheaper than the similar sized CAT mini X. Though I hate renting equipment, I'll get my perceived excavation needs lined up, and work the pi** out of that little sucker when I do drag it up the mountain. I have enough other toys....., that I use more often than a mini!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Booooo! 😂 But I completely understand. I despise renting too but would be open to it if the local Kubota dealer rented out equipment.