Kubota D600 upgrade?

Webn237

Dec 26, 2016
Southrn WI (Monroe)
Hey everyone!

I posted here a while ago about putting a d600 into my yamaha g22 golf cart. It is almost complete and in the final stages before running it. I got a new alternator upgrade and on christmas I bought a 1.8L diesel vw passat turbo. I know its a little big for the motor. So my question is does anyone have any recommendations on how to amp up the displacement? Thought about boaring the cylinders and shave the heads a little.

(I currently dont have any updated pictures of the motor wired up and the alternator on.)

Any other ideas?

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't change the displacement enough to drive that turbo.
Return it and get one that's rated for 1/2 to 1/3 less displacement.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
What CVT did you use and what means did you attach the CVT to Flywheel with?

One thing to consider for axle ratio and for some tuning of a CVT typically meant for being spun at higher RPM's..... if you have the space, put chain and sprocket off of the flywheel to a sprocket on a jackshaft .. that way you can change those to alter ratios and spin the CVT faster.....

From this jackshaft set up your CVT Primary Pulley over to your Secondary Pulley on another jackshaft where you connect to your Driveshaft.

Webn237

Dec 26, 2016
Southrn WI (Monroe)
What CVT did you use and what means did you attach the CVT to Flywheel with?

One thing to consider for axle ratio and for some tuning of a CVT typically meant for being spun at higher RPM's..... if you have the space, put chain and sprocket off of the flywheel to a sprocket on a jackshaft .. that way you can change those to alter ratios and spin the CVT faster.....

From this jackshaft set up your CVT Primary Pulley over to your Secondary Pulley on another jackshaft where you connect to your Driveshaft.
I just used a comet clutch 780 and bolt it on with the keyway. After exhaust and coolant pipes there wont be much room above it.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
My D600 engine is serving me well in my G5200 tractor.

I suspect you chose a VW turbocharger because they are OIL cooled. (no antifreeze plumbing) but that thing is for an engine over TWICE the displacement.

Have you considered using a turbocharger from either a motorcycle or snowmobile? Those engines are closer to 600CC than an automobile engine. I realize there are a lot of variables when sizing a turbocharger. (exhaust-flow, target boost-pressure, airflow) the turbine and compressor need to be properly sized.

I have personally seen some folks using D600 for garden-tractor pulling duty. (Pulling competition on a track) Do not forget that the D600 was also sold in Cub-Cadet garden tractors. (Cub Cadet is a popular pulling-tractor)

Example pulling tractor with D600 ==> https://youtu.be/DZL-Ff-E_Lg

Kubota G5200 with D600 (turbo added) ==> https://youtu.be/XSMvBEmdiTM

Also beware, most engines intended for turbocharger use have LOWERED compression ratio..... shaving the head is going the wrong direction and may invite trouble.

Last edited:

Webn237

Dec 26, 2016
Southrn WI (Monroe)
My D600 engine is serving me well in my G5200 tractor.

I suspect you chose a VW turbocharger because they are OIL cooled. (no antifreeze plumbing) but that thing is for an engine over TWICE the displacement.

Have you considered using a turbocharger from either a motorcycle or snowmobile? Those engines are closer to 600CC than an automobile engine. I realize there are a lot of variables when sizing a turbocharger. (exhaust-flow, target boost-pressure, airflow) the turbine and compressor need to be properly sized.

I have personally seen some folks using D600 for garden-tractor pulling duty. (Pulling competition on a track) Do not forget that the D600 was also sold in Cub-Cadet garden tractors. (Cub Cadet is a popular pulling-tractor)

Example pulling tractor with D600 ==> https://youtu.be/DZL-Ff-E_Lg

Kubota G5200 with D600 (turbo added) ==> https://youtu.be/XSMvBEmdiTM

Also beware, most engines intended for turbocharger use have LOWERED compression ratio..... shaving the head is going the wrong direction and may invite trouble.
I saw a couple other videos with a vw turbo and the 1.8l is the smallest i can find. I found the RHB31 but its for motorcycles and gas motors. I dont know how to make it work for lower rpm like a diesel.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/RHB31-VZ21-T...-100HP-Rhino-Motorcycle-ATV-UTV-/201492662549

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I was looking at the RHB31 but thats for gas motors. How would you go about making it work for diesel?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/RHB31-VZ21-T...-100HP-Rhino-Motorcycle-ATV-UTV-/201492662549

The turbo doesn't know if it's a gas engine or a diesel. Gas turbos have a more positive shaft seal in them because they are subjected to intake manifold vacuum whereas diesels never have intake vacuum . (unless the air cleaner is plugged!)

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Ok so it doesnt matter if its gas or diesel. That turbo should work better than the 1.8l turbo?

A turbo needs to be sized tho the airflow of the engine. a turbo that works on a 1.8 vw at 4500rpm might work on a D600 at 18000rpm!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Then you just adjust the screw until it runs at peak performance with the motor?

Well...... not really! It kinda works that way because there is only a limited amount of adjustment available. But theoretically, if the turbo is properly sized to the engine the more fuel you give it, the more air the turbo puts out until something melts! That's why the have intercoolers on diesels

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
With something that small will it even need an intercooler? I dont plan on pumping out tons of hp

as long as you don't turn the fuel up to high you will be fine. I doubt there is enough adjustment to get it very high

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
as long as you don't turn the fuel up to high you will be fine. I doubt there is enough adjustment to get it very high
If you really want the most performance you can get without destroying anything you should install an exhaust temp gauge