Kubota BX23--Locked up Front Wheels

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's easier than you think for water to get in. Fill plug not snug, vent not snug, condensation ,over time,drip by drip water gets in..never leaves unless you do a complete flush and fill. How old is this tractor ? 5-10-15 years ? More than enough time for lots of water to get in !

Curious though, have you disconnected the front drive shaft ?

If yes, do the front wheels move ?
If YES, then not a front axle problem, 'something' in the 4WD selection/gear box is 'bung up'.

If NO, then it probably is ice in the front axle. Only way to remove, LOTS of heat, gently applied. While oil does float on water, if there's enough or it 'flash froze' , the whole axle casing, including diff gears could be frozen.

My hunch is ice in the axle,so heat it up, flush it out, twice, then fill.
If you pick up both front tires and neither turn, it's in the axle not the drive line or drive.
Now if one wheel spins and the other spins in the other direction then the issue is behind the diff, so could be in the drive line or drive.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And Yes you have a BX23D
They were also labeled BX23MLB, Mower. Loader, Backhoe
Homeowners do all tractor.
Not to be confused with a TLB Tractor, Loader, Backhoe which is a commercial tractor.

Stlouis33

Equipment
Kubota BX23
Jan 24, 2024
Kettle Falls WA
It's easier than you think for water to get in. Fill plug not snug, vent not snug, condensation ,over time,drip by drip water gets in..never leaves unless you do a complete flush and fill. How old is this tractor ? 5-10-15 years ? More than enough time for lots of water to get in !

Curious though, have you disconnected the front drive shaft ?

If yes, do the front wheels move ?
If YES, then not a front axle problem, 'something' in the 4WD selection/gear box is 'bung up'.

If NO, then it probably is ice in the front axle. Only way to remove, LOTS of heat, gently applied. While oil does float on water, if there's enough or it 'flash froze' , the whole axle casing, including diff gears could be frozen.

My hunch is ice in the axle,so heat it up, flush it out, twice, then fill.
Went out to work on it yesterday and the wheels finally turned! It was super low on lubricant so filled them up and ran it around for a bit....no issues. I have a feeling it was in 4x4 and with the sub temps it locked up but not sure....thanks all for your help!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
FWIW low on oil won't 'lock it up'
My D-14 sat for 25 years,NO oil in rear diff, remove cover, rusty top 1/3rd, everything still spun.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Went out to work on it yesterday and the wheels finally turned! It was super low on lubricant so filled them up and ran it around for a bit....no issues. I have a feeling it was in 4x4 and with the sub temps it locked up but not sure....thanks all for your help!!!
If you didn't drain it as many people suggested, then you will be paying the price of a full teardown and rebuild with some very expensive parts. Why ask for advice and not follow it, especially when it would cost you nothing to do so? Next time you have a problem, I suggest that you consider asking on Facebook.

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
He 'thinned' out the water that's in the front axle..it'll probably be fine until next Winter's cold snap of 3 days comes, when it happens, we'll all say 'Hay, this sounds familiar'.......

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you didn't drain it as many people suggested, then you will be paying the price of a full teardown and rebuild with some very expensive parts. Why ask for advice and not follow it, especially when it would cost you nothing to do so? Next time you have a problem, I suggest that you consider asking on Facebook.
The British expression "Pennywise and pound foolish" comes to mind at the moment…

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
He 'thinned' out the water that's in the front axle..it'll probably be fine until next Winter's cold snap of 3 days comes, when it happens, we'll all say 'Hay, this sounds familiar'.......
I doubt it will all be OK in the future. Last I heard, iron when it comes in contact with water you get what we commonly call rust.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Probably will not need to wait until "next" Winter.....
LOTS of Winter remaining yet THIS year!