Kubota BX Front Axle Seal?

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

I noticed yesterday there was some liquid on my garage floor, near the font of my BX1860. After a bit of investigation, I think I've determined that the right front axle is seeping near the top of assembly (see attachment, circled in red).

I'm guessing there is a seal in the assembly that has failed and needs to be replaced. Has anyone out there done this and if so, what tools would you recommend to make the job easier? Is this an expensive (parts-wise) job?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
The BX tractors are prone to leaks there. From the dealer, they are filled with SUDT oil which is a very thin oil and it tends to leak past those seals. I drained the fluid from mine and refilled it with 80W90 gear oil and it stopped leaking.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I changed both of mine on a BX2200. The dealer said you must use a special tool to insert the new seal. Just did it carefully with a hammer to tap in in and tried to make sure it went in straight. Hasn't leaked since. I don't recall it being very expensive. You can look up the part numbers and prices at Messicks

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
the bx tractors are prone to leaks there. From the dealer, they are filled with sudt oil which is a very thin oil and it tends to leak past those seals. I drained the fluid from mine and refilled it with 80w90 gear oil and it stopped leaking.
... +1 ...

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I'm pretty sure it's a leaky seal as I changed the axle fluid last year and put in 80W90 oil. I've gone ahead and ordered the seals (figured I mind as well do both since I'll have the tractor jacked up) and o-rings (for the final drive gear housing). Watched a bunch of YouTube vids and this seems like a fairly straight forward repair...I'm sure I'll regret saying that as I swear my way thru the project, but hey, here's to optimism.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had to replace the seal and bevel gear (I think that's what they called it) on my bx23 (2006 model). It was quite some time ago, and I don't remember all the details. I do recall that I needed a pretty stout set of snap ring pliers, otherwise, it was fairly straight forward.

And yes on the change to gear oil from hydraulic fluid.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I had to replace the seal and bevel gear (I think that's what they called it) on my bx23 (2006 model). It was quite some time ago, and I don't remember all the details. I do recall that I needed a pretty stout set of snap ring pliers, otherwise, it was fairly straight forward.

And yes on the change to gear oil from hydraulic fluid.
Just ordered a pair of snap-ring pliers as it's one tool I just haven't had a need for...until now.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Well that was an utter failure. 3 hours and two seals later, I still couldn’t get the seal to seat correctly. Both times I ended up tearing/deforming the new seal on one side. Sent the dealer a service request and unfortunately, they’ll have to come to my house since I have no way of getting the tractor to them.

Man, what a disappointing afternoon!

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
you do know that they are a two piece seal right. The seal comes apart in two pieces. One part fits onto the spindles upright (post) and the other part fits into the upper part that that does the steering ??

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
you do know that they are a two piece seal right. The seal comes apart in two pieces. One part fits onto the spindles upright (post) and the other part fits into the upper part that that does the steering ??
Yep, I do know that. I ran into trouble trying to get the part of the seal that seats into the axle housing. I could not get it in without deforming/tearing the seal.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Well that was an utter failure. 3 hours and two seals later, I still couldn’t get the seal to seat correctly. Both times I ended up tearing/deforming the new seal on one side. Sent the dealer a service request and unfortunately, they’ll have to come to my house since I have no way of getting the tractor to them.

Man, what a disappointing afternoon!
Why not take the 4 bolts out of the bevel gear case and take it and the housing to the dealer. The can install the seal, put the assembly back together. Then you would just reinstall the assembly with the 4 bolts. Refill with 80/90 or 85/140 synthetic gear oil. It should be a lot cheaper.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Why not take the 4 bolts out of the bevel gear case and take it and the housing to the dealer. The can install the seal, put the assembly back together. Then you would just reinstall the assembly with the 4 bolts. Refill with 80/90 or 85/140 synthetic gear oil. It should be a lot cheaper.
Hmm, hadn’t thought of that. Great idea, thank you! I think my confidence is a little shaken by this as I was positive I could do this yesterday, now I’m second guessing my abilities.

Thanks for the suggestion.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Nope, that’s a no-go; couldn’t get the all bevel gear housing bolts out. Got three out of four, but that last one was STUCK. Tried PB blaster, leverage, swearing...nada. I did get the other oil seal out, of the other side. I’m glad I did because it came out in pieces. Not really sure why it wasn’t leaking too.

This will not go down as one of my most favorite projects.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Got all parts back from the dealer this morning and reassembled everything this afternoon. One side went on without any problems; this was the side I was having trouble with last weekend. I wasn’t expecting the other side to have issues but it did. After some fiddling around I decided to take the bevel gear housing off. After doing this I could see that one of the bevel gears had become jostled a bit, which was preventing the lower section from seating properly. After I fixed this, all went back together well. Phew!!

Also ended up replacing the tie rods. I may need to adjust the toe in a little, bit I’m that everything is now back together.

kenbx1860

Mar 31, 2015
canada
Got all parts back from the dealer this morning and reassembled everything this afternoon. One side went on without any problems; this was the side I was having trouble with last weekend. I wasn’t expecting the other side to have issues but it did. After some fiddling around I decided to take the bevel gear housing off. After doing this I could see that one of the bevel gears had become jostled a bit, which was preventing the lower section from seating properly. After I fixed this, all went back together well. Phew!!

Also ended up replacing the tie rods. I may need to adjust the toe in a little, bit I’m that everything is now back together.
When you are using your tractor I found with my bx1860, that after about 15 minuets I would pull the filler plug. This in turn let pressure out of the axle and since I started doing this my axle seals have not leaked.

kenbx1860

Mar 31, 2015
canada
When you are using your tractor I found with my bx1860, that after about 15 minuets I would pull the filler plug. This in turn let pressure out of the axle and since I started doing this my axle seals have not leaked.
The front axles are sealed to go under water and therefore as the oil warms up it creates this pressure and pushes past the seals.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Ok, thanks. Do you put the plug back in after pulling it? Do you seat it fully or let it rest in the fill hole?