TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
Hi Everyone,

OK after some research and forum searching I have installed a coolant heater in the lower radiator hose of my B7100HST. This is a 600 watt heater with 1.25 inch diameter hose connections. (There are many such heaters that are 1.5 inch diameter and many of the newer Kubota apparently use those. )

Here's what it looks like. Note: Later I rotated it to position the electrical connector ABOVE it.:
HeaterRadiatorHose.-01.JPG

After draining the coolant from the front-of-radiator drain valve, I carefully pried with screwdrivers and hand rotated and finally got the OLD hoses off.. I was worried about stress on the radiator connections.. The lower hose connections are a little unusual. The Radiator connection has quite an offset to clear the engine:

HeaterRadiatorHose.-02.JPG

The other end is on this 'pipe' which appears to be screwed into the block:

HeaterRadiatorHose.-03.JPG

Here's the lower hose, from Messicks:

HeaterRadiatorHose.-04.JPG

The heater itself looks like this: (This from O'reilly's, but most auto parts places have these..) Amazon has it here for twice as much .
HeaterRadiatorHose.-05.JPG

After holding the parts up to see what would fit, I marked and cut the hose. I took out a 1.25 inch section which is the heater width.

HeaterRadiatorHose.-06.JPG

Later I thought 4.0 inches would be better.. Here it is with the electrical connection rotated below. (CHANGED later to UP)

HeaterRadiatorHose.-07.JPG

Hose clamps tight and time to refill:
HeaterRadiatorHose.-08.JPG

I put in 4.5 Qt and it was ALMOST full:

HeaterRadiatorHose.-09.JPG

Another 3 or 4 Oz and it was overflowing. Here's the (NEW UPDATED) view:

HeaterRadiatorHose.-12.JPG

I ran the engine for 30 mins to check for leaks. A little coolant came out the overflow as expected.. Left it all day until engine head and radiator were down to 48F. (Infrared scan thermometer). Plugged in the heater and its metal case quickly got hot to the touch. I was a little concerned when it got up to 180F pretty soon. But then it stabilized there or lower. It is supposed to have thermostatic control. It took a Long time to start heating the radiator and engine by convection. But after an hour it took the engine head from 48F to 85F. Radiator top was same.

I will update in a couple days with test from a below-freezing morning.. I am also adding a battery warmer and maybe other stuff; I'll update here and also update some January ZeroF - experience.

Thanks for many helping posts I have read...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Excellent write up....

Typically after an hour in cold - you reach a point of no return.

I understand that some of these do not last long - I would imagine that is directly proportional to time used too. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Couple things to note:
The electrical connection should be to the side or the top.
Do not leave it plugged in for more than an hour if you want it to last.
My B7100 starts in the dead of winter outside -20f without a heater. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
My B7100 starts in the dead of winter outside -20f without a heater. ;)
..And a REALLY good battery :) GLAD to hear THAT!

A good battery maintainer that keeps it at 13.6V all night (I like THIS one) makes the biggest difference. I have those on 2 cars and 2 trucks and they start in the RealCold in Vermont. Maybe even in Idaho..

Reactions: 1 user

TerryKing

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100HST-D
Aug 18, 2024
Topsham, Vermont USA
arduinoinfo.mywikis.net
connection should be to the side or the top.
Yes, usually agree. I don't think the side panel will go on with it to the side, and I think the top position would hit the upper block. I'll get a better look with the side panel back on.. Can probably rotate it with clamps backed off and no pressure in system.. without loosing coolant. Need to route and secure the AC wiring. Probably will have battery maintainer and battery warmer all on same external short AC dongle.

***UPDATE*** Wolf, NotToMySurprise you were Right. I loosened the clamps a bit and rotated it so electrical connection is UP. It just fit under the air cleaner bracket after all. Thanks!

HeaterRadiatorHose.-12.JPG

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
..And a REALLY good battery :) GLAD to hear THAT!

A good battery maintainer that keeps it at 13.6V all night (I like THIS one) makes the biggest difference. I have those on 2 cars and 2 trucks and they start in the RealCold in Vermont. Maybe even in Idaho..
Yes the B's are pretty tight under the hood!
I prefer the block heaters over the Hose heaters.

This will really have you scratching your head, I don't even a battery maintainer on my B.
And yes we get a lot of snow and it is normally COLD all winter long.
Normal winter, it does not warm up above freezing very often.
When the first good snow flies, it will be here till spring melts it.

I will fully agree that heaters (all of my diesels have block heaters) and Battery maintainers, are all good devices to have and use.

I just haven't had to use any of those on my B.
I should note that the B has a fully rebuilt all OEM parts D850 in it, that run perfectly.

I even rarely have to use the block heater on the L.
Now the 743 Bobcat (Kubota V2203) needs a battery maintainer, but that's because I put an unswitched USB charger / supply in it for my phone.

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice write up.

I have a factory heater that I try to plug in about an hour before I want to use it, as well a battery maintainer.

Last winter was a little disappointing around here, but generally my area gets below freezing for most of the winter.

The good part about that style heater is that if it goes bad, it looks easy enough to replace.