Kubota B7100 4x4 pilot bushing help

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
This is a really cool little tractor. It gets the job done. I put a new clutch, throw out bearing and pilot bushing on it and the pilot bushing lasted two weeks of hauling mud. The bushing is cheap but the 12 hours or so changing it is pure hell. Why is the bushing wearing out so fast. Help!

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
A couple of reasons come to mind, it was the wrong type of bushing. Should have used a sintered bronze busing that is impregnated with oil. Another reason is that the bearing in the front of the transmission is sloppy allowing the input shaft to wobble around. The pilot bearing was too tight on the input shaft. I'm sure that I haven't touched on all of the reasons because it has been a long time since I have installed clutches. I used to find a bunch of bent input shafts because when the transmission was pulled out the shaft stayed in the bushing and the person pulling the transmission would tend to drop the transmission because of weight while it the input shaft was not fully disengaged. Never put back a bent input shaft, but others would and it would cause all sorts of problems later on.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No subframe or axle bars is causing the loader to bend the tractor in the middle, and doing damage.
And how do you know the pilot bushing is out?

Reactions: 1 users

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
No subframe or axle bars is causing the loader to bend the tractor in the middle, and doing damage.
This happens a lot. Use the search function , enter "plate" in subject box and "torch" in author box for good reading on the subject. If you have questions after reading those threads come back to this thread rather than starting another thread.

Reactions: 1 user

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Actually, my pilot bushing was fine (as noted here in the referenced thread). It was the clutch that kept failing.

Where did you get the parts? OEM or aftermarket? Did you check the flywheel for runout when you had things apart? What symptoms are you having that makes you think the pilot bushing has failed?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
wow, I remember reading the threads about the 'slightly' bent plate and what several did to FIX the problem. bottom line is that tractor MUST HAVE a 'loader sub frame' installed on it before using the loader.

Reactions: 1 users

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
Two little Kubota loader tractors and a mini-truck.. that is my kind of carport! :ROFLMAO:

I also suspect that at some point the loader subframe did not prevent the 'motor plate' from bending, putting the crankshaft and transmission input shaft out of alignment. If that plate is not bent I would suspect bad fit between the input shaft and pilot bushing in the first place. Did the input shaft have any damage in that area?

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
Actually, my pilot bushing was fine (as noted here in the referenced thread). It was the clutch that kept failing.

Where did you get the parts? OEM or aftermarket? Did you check the flywheel for runout when you had things apart? What symptoms are you having that makes you think the pilot bushing has failed?
IMO your thread addressed the subject of insufficient bracing and consequential damage in a way that is easy to understand. Since you are here I have a question. You expressed concern about the cv joint on prop shaft but deferred taking action at the time. Did you wind up having to replace cv joint or is it still doing it's job? I am asking because I have a bent clutch housing that will result in less than square couple-up and pilot shaft offset. The permanent offset will not be near as bad as yours must have been during that period of 3 clutch replacements. If your cv joint survived mine should easily survive since mis-alignment is much less sever. I don't think asking hi-jacks because this is amongst several issues op should be investigating. I am eager to hear how/why op knows bushing gave out up again and what root cause was.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
You expressed concern about the cv joint on prop shaft but deferred taking action at the time. Did you wind up having to replace cv joint or is it still doing it's job?
The CV joint is still hanging in there. I did intend to replaced it over the summer, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say and I had too many other demands on my time. As the man who fell off the 20 story building was heard to say passing the 10th floor: "Well, so far so good!" I greased things up well and left it in 2wd whenever possible.

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
The CV joint is still hanging in there. I did intend to replaced it over the summer, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say and I had too many other demands on my time. As the man who fell off the 20 story building was heard to say passing the 10th floor: "Well, so far so good!" I greased things up well and left it in 2wd whenever possible.
It's encouraging to know the joint still works after running out of alignment bad enough to bust 3 clutches.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
A couple of reasons come to mind, it was the wrong type of bushing. Should have used a sintered bronze busing that is impregnated with oil. Another reason is that the bearing in the front of the transmission is sloppy allowing the input shaft to wobble around. The pilot bearing was too tight on the input shaft. I'm sure that I haven't touched on all of the reasons because it has been a long time since I have installed clutches. I used to find a bunch of bent input shafts because when the transmission was pulled out the shaft stayed in the bushing and the person pulling the transmission would tend to drop the transmission because of weight while it the input shaft was not fully disengaged. Never put back a bent input shaft, but others would and it would cause all sorts of problems later on.
It's encouraging to know the joint still works after running out of alignment bad enough to bust 3 clutches.
IMG_4884.jpeg

This is the bushing. States it matches my tractor. No bent shaft. Bearing, clutch and disk new. Not to tight. I did not see a grease fitting or way to oil it.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
Two little Kubota loader tractors and a mini-truck.. that is my kind of carport! :ROFLMAO:

I also suspect that at some point the loader subframe did not prevent the 'motor plate' from bending, putting the crankshaft and transmission input shaft out of alignment. If that plate is not bent I would suspect bad fit between the input shaft and pilot bushing in the first place. Did the input shaft have any damage in that area?
No damage no appearance of bent or out of shape no wobble or vibration. I did not realize the Suzuki carry was in pic. Thanks. I have 3. I love them. I had two others but they were destroyed by young male drivers. One t boned with a kid running red light. One tboned with other running stop sign. Tough trucks.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
I changed the clutch , plate, bearings and bushings 6 weeks ago. It is the only possible solution that could go out that fast. When I changed clutch, plates and bearings the old one was not bad. But it was apart and I had new parts sooo. The bushing was 1/4 smashed on tip and worn out on one side. Obviously bad. Everything inside was clean, no wobbling and no scars.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
No damage no appearance of bent or out of shape no wobble or vibration. I did not realize the Suzuki carry was in pic. Thanks. I have 3. I love them. I had two others but they were destroyed by young male drivers. One t boned with a kid running red light. One tboned with other running stop sign. Tough trucks.
Oh also, one is a ZEN-NOH ZL1511-FD

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
wow, I remember reading the threads about the 'slightly' bent plate and what several did to FIX the problem. bottom line is that tractor MUST HAVE a 'loader sub frame' installed on it before using the loader.
It has a subframe.

torch

Equipment
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
View attachment 118177
This is the bushing. States it matches my tractor. No bent shaft. Bearing, clutch and disk new. Not to tight. I did not see a grease fitting or way to oil it.
The bushing has an acetal (eg: Delrin) coating on the inside. It is essentially self-lubricating and should last for years and years in normal use.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana

I think I agree with you about the fit in the first place. It was difficult lining everything up when putting back together with 4x4 shaft and all might have got jammed or slid partially off on reinstalling. Is there a grease port or oil port somewhere for that because I could not recognize one. My first instinct was it got dry and hot.

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
The bushing has an acetal (eg: Delrin) coating on the inside. It is essentially self-lubricating and should last for years and years in normal use.
I must have damaged it on installation. All I can think of at this time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull it apart and take a lot of photos of what you have.

You never did answer how do you know the pilot bushing is out again?

BBRE

Equipment
Zen noh zl 1511 fd
Dec 11, 2023
Louisiana
Pull it apart and take a lot of photos of what you have.

You never did answer how do you know the pilot bushing is out again?
I just changed everything about 6 weeks ago. Worked perfectly. Then same thing as before. The only thing found when opened that was bad was bushing. So I am guessing because of the odds. I think it moved when I put it back in and maybe pinched or slid off some and smashed end. Had a hard time lining it up with hole and getting 4x4 shaft lined up at same time