Kubota 1501

Rickybobby609

Feb 6, 2020
C.M.C.H. New Jersey. US
So I when I got my zen noh the alternator or dynamo whatever it’s called was all disconnected I never asked any questions but when I went to hook up the battery today and hooking up the alternator the alternator started smoking I disconnected it right away but any ideas as to what would cause this? Bad voltage regulator maybe? It only smokes when the red cable coming from the starter is connected to it

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Re: Zen noh 1501

If you have a dynamo there are two leads exiting from it.

You need to use a multimeter capable of measuring alternating current voltage not the typical direct current voltage.

With the two dynamo leads disconnected, the engine running at full speed, measure the AC voltage between the two open dynamo leads.

Report back with your findings.

First need to establish if the dynamo still works after smoking.

Dave.

Rickybobby609

Feb 6, 2020
C.M.C.H. New Jersey. US

There’s a plug with white/black, white/green, and 2 black wires coming out of it and one of the black wires is cut off flush at the plug and there’s the red one that goes to the stud on the alternator from the battery

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

There must be a separate voltage regulator..... do you see one?

The small wires would be going to it from the alternator plug.

If your goal is just to have a reliable charging system, then switching to a DENSO 35 amp single wire brand new alternator is the way to go.

Search on Ebay.com for :

35 amp Denso one wire alternator.

DENSO is the new name for the Japan company Nippondenso

Less than $100

Dave

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: KUBOTA 1501

So I when I got my zen noh
PLEASE for the love of all things holy... stop calling it a ZEN NOH it's not, it's a Kubota.

Calling it a ZEN HOH is like calling it CO OP tractor (simplest way of explaining it)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Dave, the L1501 uses an alternator to charge, not a dynamo.

One of the wires in the plug is gonna show 12 volts when the key is turned on. That's the exciter side and terminates in the fuse block on the dash.

The other wire on that plug is to engage the alternator light on the dash to signal low voltage. If I remember correctly. That one grounds to turn on the light. But don't hold me to it, it's been awhile since I've looked at the manual.

The red wire going to a seperate lug is power in from the starter.

If the alternator is smoking when the wires are plugged in, then there is either a short in the wiring. Or the alternator has an internal short and needs a rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited: