Knife making

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
This Winter I will have time on my hands and will be exploring knife making. Anyone here that has a similar interest and who can point me to source of supplies, etc they have experience with?

I am not interested in forging (yet) and more interested in kits that will help me learn.

I did buy a kit from knifekits.com and other than Chinese steel it was a quality product. I welcome advice, tips etc.

Craig

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
have done it in the past.....

find some "old" wood working or metal working files, some of the best base metal to start with and go from there.

I have a fellow teacher that does it all the time - makes some very nice knives.

You'll need a wee bit of free time too!:D:)

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Thank you sir. :). Free time I will have. Dec 31 is my last day of work and now in 70th year it is time. Currently have 5 day weekends so sliding into leisure slowly. This is what started interest. Roto tiller kicked it out of garden and decided to try to restore it. A work in process.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Personally, Ive never attempted it but it sure looks like a good time. I watched Forged in Fire a program on the history channel I believe. It really peaked my interest in forging and knife making, I just don't have the time. Too many other irons in the fire, so too say. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBMbMAbwEpc&list=PLNDookkiKkopn1Y26NITyatcg1Adj5iST

Post up some of your work when you get going, I would be interested in seeing some of your progress.

Oh and congrats on retirement!

Ben

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Bub that looks like an old hickory skinning knife. I have one like it I used on big stuff we butchered. A great knife blade shape.
I had a good friend that did forge his blades,, loved to watch him work, not that i could ever do it, but he says get it hot beat the snot out of it and if you dont like it start all over again.
He also did stock removal of the blanks a good band saw files and grinder is needed,, also a good kiln to temper the blade. But he would heat it in the forge until it was non magnetic and then quench the edges first and then the backs. For him it was a labor of love, and he made knifes until cancer wouldn't let him do it any more. Remember youtube is your friend, theres a ton of stuff on there by Walter Sorose (sp) and a few other known knife makers.

Ike

Equipment
Kubota L 3301, Farmall Cub. JD B. Ferguson TE 20
Jul 18, 2015
Mich
This weekend about 20 miles north of me they are having Back Iron days. It has blacksmiths and many are knife makers. I watched one last year do his thing to some steel with a hammer. It sure looked like a good workout. They sometimes have kits where all you do is file and finish them for sale. There is another family there that makes knifes out of different types of stone material by chipping like the Indians did. Those knifes are really sharp. They sell thse starting at 25.00 and up

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Thanks guys. Vrat -nice! Skeets, Walter Sorrell is the master for sure. I have a few blade blanks on the way which will get me started. On advice on one site, I tried first effort with a $5 novelty blade and .05 of 1/2 ply to make mistakes on cheap stuff. It was good fun. Almost looking forward to winter. Almost!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now when ya get good,,, lets see what ya can do with a mower blade,,lol:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Been watching forged in fire, interesting to see what those guys come up with. A couple firefighters i know throw the old files in the firepit, dig them out in the morning when its cooled off and start grinding. They come out with some nice knives.

Not my passion like some. My curiousity points me in the direction of pouring molten metal. Want to try casting some aluminum.

jay2

Jun 30, 2015
kington, ohio
Ok got the video to load right.

I made a couple just grinding steel or an old file. Normally I throw knives. At the 1:50 ish mark is one I made. I'm knifethrower99 on you tube if you would like to see more. I had a 5 yr streak of never missing a day throwing until July 4 2015, I forgot that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ijnmKUF0Q

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Impressive, hitting the post. I'd be lucky to hit the fence in the background.:rolleyes:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I tried to throw a knife one time I was lucky to hit the ground :D