Kiss theory and assume

kenny

Equipment
l2350 dt back blade brush hog
Sep 21, 2010
united states,michigan
Hello all wanted to pass along my expierence I have Had,in 38 years as a hvac and small appliance repair.The kiss theory is keep it simple stupid.My recent example,I was attempting to start my sons car knowing fuel gauge about 1/8 tank,would not start.All manor of possible problems are going through my head.Long story short grabbed my fuel can put gas in tank car started right up fuel gauge is not accurate.Next is assume anyone notice what the fist three letters of assume is?When ever possible try and confirm problem.Here is the hitch I have at times could not find the root cause but from expierence I have made educated guessed.All equipment and machinery have their glitches as service dept. Vic can confirm.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Never thought I'd see a post on how to KISS ASSume :rolleyes:

Kidding aside Kenny, thanks for the reminder and story :D

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
Kenny, that's so true and so often we overlook those simple things because our mind thinks it 'over complicated'.

No fuel, dead battery, loose cables, stuck safety switches and poor ground connections rate as the highest KISS repairs!
One of my neighbor was Refrigerator/Air conditioner repair man. Well~ he thought~ :D
He spent over an hour to repair his shop's air conditioner and couldn't fix it. So he try to call the other Air conditioner repair man...!!! ha ha ha~ Can you imagine that~???:D:D:D

So I offered him to check it for him but he got upset. I guess he was offended. but making long story short~, "Breaker swith was tripped."

This Air conditioner had 2 power supply. One was main power. The other one for controler line. Some reason, controller line breaker swith was tripped and I've reset it and it worked perfect ever since.....!

So there were One Proud youngster and One Grumpy old man~~~!!!:D

How's everyone? I've been off for the summer for Motorcycling~!:cool:

Jolly Joe.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Only a true Kung Fu master could show up two hvac repair men :cool:

Well Jolly Joe - you better be careful on those motor bikes else you fall and bust your ass :eek:

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I love it. I'm sure we can all relate a similar tale. For me, my L35 wouldn't start. Checked battery, cleaned the posts, & checked the starter. Turned out the ground connection to the frame was corroded. Cleaned it and it fired right up. I was both relieved and frustrated that I didn't check it sooner.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Pat, good find! Those electrons are real finicky about not having a nice clean circuit to complete there trip.

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
My neighbor's son had a Blazer that would not start. I was over and we were talking about it and he said it was going to be towed to the mechanic the next day. I went over and looked at it. The lights were bright, the electric windows opened and closed quickly, but the engine only clicked. I got out and told him to get a wrench. I pointed to the bolt that held the ground in place and told him to loosen it. Then I told him to tighten it.

The car started right up. He was amazed. Frankly, so was I (just a little).

kenny

Equipment
l2350 dt back blade brush hog
Sep 21, 2010
united states,michigan
But alas it is the simple things in life most cherished thanks for the replies;we all are lucky to have service dept. vic on our side good job.

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
A buddy of mine buys this old Dodge Dart with the first generation electronic ignition. I come over to admire it and my buddy wants to get it off his car trailer but he has a problem, the car will start but once you release the key to let it go go from the start to run position the engine dies immediately. My buddy starts to go crazy as he can not figure it out. I jump on the car trailer and check one thing and take off a part on the firewall and tell him go to NAPA and buy 2 of these.

He comes back and I place one of the new parts in his glove box and the 2nd new part I reinstall on his firewall and hook it up. That old 318 V8 starts right up and when he released the key stayed running. The old Chrysler's used a ballast resister that was know to have the ignition side burn out after a while.

My buddy ask me why I told him to get 2 and I stated that those things will burn out and leave you stranded on a Sunday afternoon at a car show or any place in between. So I walk him to my garage where I keep my Duster and I open the glove box and pull out of mine a new ballast resister. It only happened once to me and I learned years ago to always have a spare.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Michael, great story! Thankfully for your friend you had the experience to help him out. Remember that good dead's always get paid back in dividends, even if it is only the feeling of self gratification for helping others when they truly need it.