Kelley 55 backhoe and project

cjltlc

Feb 24, 2016
Smoke Run PA USA
I bought a 35 year old Kelley 55 backhoe attachment for my L2850 Kubota.
I had about 7, 80 foot tall pine trees to get down.
While the backhoe was a little larger than what I wanted for the size tractor I have, the price was right and it was in great shape.
I started by removing as many of the branches and attaching cables as high as I could.
I started to dig around and between the trees but found the intertwined roots to be difficult.
Using a 7 inch grinder I sharpen the sides of the backhoe bucket to chew thru the roots easier.
The extra reach of the bigger unit was handy while I dug around the stumps.
I pulled each tree with the dump so it would fall the direction I wanted them to.
The root ball on each tree was till substantial. Using a sawzall, pressure washer and the backhoe I removed as much dirt as possible.
The stumps were still to heavy for the loader. I built a dirt ramp and rolled them up into the dump.
I hope new Kelley backhoe units work as well as this old one.

Attachments

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Is this a three point attachment or is it a 4 point with subframe? All in all, how did you find the matchup ? I have a L5240 and would be curious to see if this would fit.
Also, do you have rear remotes or is this run off a pump ?

cjltlc

Feb 24, 2016
Smoke Run PA USA
This is a 3 point the pump goes to the pto and it has it's own hydraulic reservoir. I had to remove the ROPS.
If the tractor wasn't able to carry it I was going to mount it on an axle with 2 tires.

Attachments

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Looks like a very beefy unit. I'd love a backhoe although I don't have a specific use for one. I'm sure if I had one I'd find uses.

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
Looks like a very beefy unit. I'd love a backhoe although I don't have a specific use for one. I'm sure if I had one I'd find uses.
I guarantee you would find uses for a backhoe if you had one!