Kamado Joe Big Joe

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Hey OTT anyone of you have the Kamado Big Joe specifically the 2?

If so, what do you like most and dislike about it?

I like to grill usually 4 to 5 times a week and enjoy smoking meats as well.

As many of you know I like to age my own meat both beef and venison.

So let's hear your experience using the Big Joe or any other Kamado Joe grills. Some do's and some do not's.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide.

Jay

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I wonder how do the kamado joe's compare to the big green eggs? Ive heard lots of great things on the big green eggs in my area. Not much of anyting on kamado joe's though.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Seem 'em both but not interested. I have had for at least 30 years now, a Webber charcoal fired BBQ, the one that was made from 1/4" pipe with 1/4" welded on ends and smoke box. Don't make them anymore, understandably. It weighs about 300 pounds complete with undercarriage and tray.

30 years ago I paid around 250 for it. Will outlast me.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
Kamado joe and the big green egg are very simular. Basically they are kamado style grills, which are a ceramic body that seals up well and has s ceramic fire box inside it. The ceramic does a good job of holding the heat in and providing good even heat all around the meat (especially when using a ceramic or lava plate over the coals). Because it is well sealed, you can control the heat really well with the top chimney control and the air intake control at the bottom. It can be used for grilling, baking or slow cooking. I have the version from Sam's Club (Vision). It appears to be the same as what Gorilla Grill sells. They are much cheaper than the big green egg or kamado joe, but seem to be well build (mostly stainless steel hardware). I think they work great. You can get really hot (500°F) or low and slow. Grill or bake.

They use lump charcoal. To smoke a pork shoulder I can load it up with charcoal and a few small pieces of wood for good smoke and it will last the full 12 hours because it really holds the heat in. After your done cooking, just close off the air and chimney and the fire goes out and you can use the same coals for the next cook.

If you get one, just make sure you get the lava plate the sits under the grill to keep the meat from getting direct heat when smoking or baking. They usually don't come with it. That plate also gives you a place to put a pan under the meat with water, beer or whatever liquid you want to keep the meat moist.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

fender76

Equipment
B7100HST
May 24, 2017
Missouri
I've had a Green Egg for several years. Watching PitmasterX on YouTube I think a Komado has more features than the Green Egg, but at a higher price.
Neither will reach their potential without a controller. I have a Flame Boss, WiFi'd to my phone, so I don't need to be home while the meat smokes. It controls the temperature by fan speed and a sensor clipped on the grate. If I don't overload it with charcoal or wood it will hold the temp I select within several degrees for 10 to 12 hrs.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I have a coyote asado smoker, also a ceramic style smoker. In general all ceramics will perform great. No mechanical parts to break like the pellet smokers. You can use charcoal, lump charcoal, split wood, and probably even pellets. And they hold heat for a long time, which is especially good if you are like me and see all weather as smoking/grilling weather, Rain, snow, or shine. You are also able to get ceramic covers for indirect cooking and will resist super high heats if you want to sear steaks on it when using it like a grill.

The only real issue is they are heavy and relatively fragile. Shock loads like if you drop the ceramic pieces when cleaning out the ash they can crack or fracture. You also probably won't be lending it to a buddy either because they can be a couple hundred pounds of ceramic so they are fairly permanent fixtures.

If you are concerned about a consistent temp there are plenty of controllers that can monitor and adjust the temp of your pit and even your food temperature.

If I had to choose one today I would definitely pick a ceramic style, if that isn't available then I'd find an offset smoker before I got one of the pellet smokers just because there are other ways to get the control that a pellet smoker gives without being stuck into a specific style of fuel and needing electricity to use it, or concern about mechanical pieces breaking that would then need repaired and not an expensive garage decoration.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
I've had a kamado Joe for 8+ years now and really like it. I also know I don't use it to it's full potential - I grill some steaks and burgers now and then - but it heats up quickly and retains heat very, very well. It's easy to get it to 600+ degrees for a sear on a steak, then leave the lid open or cracked to rapidly drop the temp for cooking. More than once I just closed it up at night and it still had 200+ temps the next morning.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Thanks for all the responses and I did order one, delivery about 2 to 3 weeks.

For the first cook plan to cook a 3lb tomahawk ribeye I bought this weekend. Plan to cook her till internal temp of 127f like I normally do then bring the temp up and sear her all on all sides. I'll only used sea salt and fresh ground pepper about 2 to 3 hours prior to cook while it rests on the counter from the fridge.

I do plan on investing in a better temp monitoring system so I can track while away from the house like in the garden, chicken pen, pond, or even at work while I'm smoking things for extended cook times.

Thanks again!
Jay

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
I like looking at all these cool grills, and like to eat good meat, but I guess Im just of a different mind. Ive never had any interest in investing so much into cooking meat lol. I have a little webber grill that cost about $120. It cooks a fine steak or hamburger, or the occasional pork tinderloin. I marvel at the big green eggs in the store - i think they look awesome, but then I think "How much better can I actually make a steak? I mean..." lol. I realize its not about cooking steak. Its one of those things I like to admire, but have no interest in actually investing in personally. Most of the big grill masters around here I know, when they invest in a new cooker they are more eyeing the big hand built black grills that are bolted to a trailer, with wheels, etc etc. So they can literally tow it around, drop it anywhere and cook for an army. Some of those are pretty nice. But they arent ceramic.