Just bought a 2002 L4310 - what maintenance needs to be done?

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I just purchased a used 2002 L4310 tractor. It only has about 475 hours and is a one owner, stored inside. Seems like everything works well. It is a Glide Shift GST model. The owner told me he had the oil and filter done by a dealer last fall. However, he said the fuel filter is original, as is the transmission fluid / filter(s) and original battery.

I have a hard time believing a 15 year old battery is still starting the tractor as well as it is, but who knows.

The fuel filter that is on there appears pretty clean - no algae, etc. He did give me a brand new filter in the box.

I also have a 2013 B2920 so I have some familiarity with Kubota tractors.

1. To change the fuel filter...is there a shut-off valve? Do the injectors need to be bled? On the B2920, you just unscrew the housing and a check valve closes. I did not need to bleed the 2920.

2. Should the transmission fluid be changed? Or just the filter? Are there two filters (transmission side and hydraulic side) or just one? What is the procedure for changing these? I did the two on my HST 2920 and it was pretty easy. Does the transmission and hydraulics share the same reservoir and fill in the back by the 3-point hitch lift arms? Can UDT and Super UDT be used?

3. Air filter. I haven't looked yet. Is it a cartridge-style paper filter sitting on top of a fine mesh screen filter? I'll be operating the tractor flail-mowing a large field. Typically, my filters get clogged up after all the mowing.

Any other general maintenance?

One other aside question: how stable will this tractor be mowing on side slopes. I have mowed this same 30-acre field which has sloped "tiers" all the way down with my B2920 for two years. Some spots have felt like the B was at its tipping point and I crept along using the HST. For this year I put 2" spacers on the rear wheels and billed the B-series tires. How will this much larger L4310 compare in terms of stability? The rear tires are loaded. I'm guessing the weight and wider track will help, but you sure feel like you are sitting a lot higher up...which of course you are.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Subscribing in case notification was not checked...

redmaher

Jun 23, 2016
US
I would purchase a W.S.M. and change fluids.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Suggest you have an operators manual and WSM. I would change all filters and fluids so you have a good baseline for future maintenance. Include front axle oil change.

Reactions: 1 user

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I agree with what Redmaher said. The Work Shop Manual is handy to have around.

If you change the engine oil, tranny/hydraulic oil, change all filters, drain-flush-refill the cooling system, and grease EVERYTHING, you will be off to a good start, and KNOW what fluids you are running.

Last edited: