Just a silly question about ballast boxes

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
How many guys have built their own, how and what did you use? I figure Wildfire has and its better than factory,,lol,,, SO ok guys lets have some pictures

GJ Brown

Equipment
B3200. 60'' Woods brush hog. Fel.
Apr 25, 2010
Dover, De.
I cut a plastic drum in half, (size of your choice) drilled holes in either side and put a bar through it. then filled it with concrete, and bent 2 peices of flat 3 inch metal into l shapes and stuck em into the concrete for my upper arm. dried in a day and i was in business. hope this helps!

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
Yep, i did the same with two plastic drums.
cut holes in both and slid a 25mm steel rod through both, half filled with concrete, then put in 2 old wheel weights in both(just for good measure)
topped up with remaining concrete.
stuck in a couple of peices of steel bar to fix my chain to and job done.

i calculated that the combined weight of both drums is close to being equal to the filled capacity of the front bucket when using a similar material as concrete etc.

works fine for me, i can also use the ballast drums as singles aswell....bonus there.:cool::cool:

pics

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Them Duc's are pretty nice little bikes, I had a 99 hayabusa,,, not much fun on along ride but it would pull the wheel at 80 with no problems,thats why I ride an E Glide now,,lol

Jimmysal

Equipment
B1750HST, RC60 MMM, LA300 FEL, TSC 48" BoxBlade, PTO Dbar chains tongs old Stihl
Aug 26, 2010
Vermont
I use my box blade as ballast. Seems to get the job done.

Butch

Equipment
Kubota 2410, RC60-24B, FL1000- kubota hydrolic front snow blade- plug aerator
Sep 10, 2009
Rising Sun, MD
Guys.... when I aerate our lawns I need ballast on the 4' "plug" aerator to make it do its thing really good.... My solution was really simple.:D

My son and daughter in law live next door so when I want to "punch" the hell out of the yards I just have my daughter in law sit on a foam rubber cushion smack dab on top of the tines and .... well let's say I finally found a use for a 300# couch potato.

The best thing is that I face forward during the operation.... not much to look at for sure!:eek:

Reactions: 1 user

antigreen

Equipment
BX25
May 19, 2010
Sewell, NJ
"...well let's say I finally found a use for a 300# couch potato.

The best thing is that I face forward during the operation.... not much to look at for sure!"

Brutal.

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
The box blade works well as a ballast, but I don't own one. I borrow my neighbor's when needed - a great arrangement for me.
Rob's Do-It-Yourself ballast box inspired me. It looked easy enough to do.
Started with a used plastic tub for $1.50 and a couple of old window sash weights for $.50 at a local recycle shop.
The sash weights are buried in the concrete and there are holes in the exposed tops of them for a pin that the chain will attach to.
I had the 7/8" bar laying around and drilled a couple of holes in the ends for its pins.
Five bags of concrete and voila! - The whole project cost about $30.
Rob's photo shows well enough that the lift bar is placed forward of center and the attachment for the chain behind the center so that the counterweight is suspended leaning away from the tractor with the weight on the chain (which isn't attached yet).
Before I made this, I was using this giant tote box as a counter weight - filled with chain or other gear. It's convenient for carrying just about everything. Right now it's storing concrete dragons and a bird bath for the winter. The steel frame is made by FarmForce and the heavy-duty plastic tote was given to me by the guy that sold me the B7800. I don't know where to get one. Sorry.
I'm still working on ideas for carrying a chain saw and landscape tools without a tote box. If I come up with something, my Kubota buddies be the first to see it.
Hope you enjoy the photos. Figuring out how to compress the photos small enough for OTT was more work than the counterweight!
"Still Having a Ball" with my Kubota.
KubotaBall Dave

Attachments

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
How many guys have built their own, how and what did you use? I figure Wildfire has and its better than factory,,lol,,, SO ok guys lets have some pictures
Well my buddy I can say that I did build one many years ago and the customer was happy with it. I used 1/8th plate and it had a removable top. You could fill the box with sand or whatever you wanted. When I bought my tractor a ballast box came with it and it's a very nice design. I never use it because the tractor is only used for snow clearing and I keep the blower back there but if you want I can take some detailed photos of it tommorow and post them here for you. Oh. Thanks so much for your kind comments. You give me WAY to much credit :). Hope all is well. Paul

Last edited:

L4740

Nov 23, 2009
3rd Rock From The Sun
Not exactly a ballast box, but counter weight none the less. You can pick these old weight sets up at garage sales for just a few dollars. Depending on the size of your tractor, this idea may or may not be enough weight. But for my little BX, it works great.

Attachments

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
L4750, that counterweight looks good. I'd never thought of that.

Here is a couple of pictures of the one I made for my L35. I figure it weighs about 900 lbs. My helper only weighs in at 9 lbs, but her job is to catch any field mice or rats that might dash out when I move something.

Attachments

DJG

Equipment
2007 B7800 LA402 FEL
Aug 1, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Nice barrel counterweight, Pat. I especially like the hitch ball on the back for "multi-tasking". Good thinking!

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Thanks! Always glad to get a compliment. I hope to get some time, sandblast it, then spray some paint on it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Picutrs would be so cool,, like my FIL use to say take it with your hands and you go to jail,,use your eyes and then build it,, Thanks my friend,,so how are things up there inthe Great White North

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Picutrs would be so cool,, like my FIL use to say take it with your hands and you go to jail,,use your eyes and then build it,, Thanks my friend,,so how are things up there inthe Great White North
Here you go buddy. I snapped a few photo's of the ballast box that came with my tractor. I've never had it on because I never take my snow blower off but this thing is slick.

If I remove the top bolts there will be a steel shaft inside that goes through the two lower 3PH stabilizers. The ballast box attaches to them and the top hook of the box keeps it from falling off. You fill it then with whatever you like for weight and reattach the cover. It's simple and a very nice design. When you want to remove it just let your 3ph down and flip up the top hook and drive away from it. Nutten to it :D

All is well up here although it's not very white. Hope all is well with you on your end. Thanks for asking.

The Kubota model number is LM8244 for this ballast box.

Attachments

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
ROB - how much weight do you figure is in the 2 half barrels combined ? This looks like something that I could do too - once I get my tractor. Surely cheaper than buying a ballast box from the dealer.

Good idea about having the lift rod off-center and using the chain to pull it back.

IC-Smoke

Equipment
B2400, ZD28, BX24
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsford, MI
I scored a tractor main weight and three suitcase weights at a farm auction store for $75. :D I then purchased three more suitcase weights.

I dreamed up a little ballast attachment to make use of all the goodies and added in a 2" receiver tube for versatility. Here is the tractor today, I just have two weights since I dont need much when the backhoe is off, and Im scraping snow off the sidewalks. I dont have the backhoe on for weight when plowing due to some of the confined areas when plowing

Ian