It was bound to happen sometime

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Well with 280hrs on the clock I've ran into my first problem with my BX I bought new in 2013. The steering seal on the right side of the axle has let go. I'm trying to decide what's easier, removing my cab so the dealer can fix it under warrenty which would mean disconnecting the cab heater and the pain of lifting the cab off. OR Just fixing the seal myself.

What would you do?

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How bad is the repair, and how expensive? If both are minor, I'd do it myself. If it did it once, it may do it again, so knowing what to do is worthwhile.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I saw your post about a "tie rod boot" problem in the other thread about bushings/mounts cracking 5 minutes after starting this thread.

Your post is #9 - http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24991

Like the other guys said, little confused why that would cause the cab to be removed, especially if its a tie rod boot issue. Maybe the two issues are unrelated....can't tell from your posts.

I think you built the cab yourself for the tractor; I would hate to dismantle it, too.:mad:

A couple pictures of the problem may help.

Don't despair..it will work out.;) As you know, there are some pretty smart cookies here. :cool:

Last edited:

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Sorry guy's I forgot that part. My homemade cab was designed to operate at Kubota speeds not highway speeds. I'd be too concerned that the pressure would take the roof off or crack the windshield so it would need to be removed bedore they loaded it on an open trailer. The dealer is about a 30min highway trip away.

tcrote5516

Equipment
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
I saw your post about a "tie rod boot" problem in the other thread about bushings/mounts cracking 5 minutes later than starting this thread.

Your post is #9 - http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24991

Like the other guys said, little confused why that would cause the cab to be removed, especially if its a tie rod boot issue. Maybe the two issues are unrelated....can't tell from your posts.

I think you built the cab yourself for the tractor; I would hate to dismantle it, too.:mad:

A couple pictures of the problem may help.

Don't despair..it will work out.;) As you know, there are some pretty smart cookies here. :cool:
It's the axle seal that allows the steering to turn that's leaking front diff fluid.

I will be changing the tie rod boots out as well. They started cracking about 6 months after I bought it and just started to crack all the way through. Obviously they don't hold any fluid but keep dust out of the knuckle so they are important. Was planning on doing it at the 300hr service point but since I have to work on her now I may as well.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think a couple pictures of the leak would really help.

Just guessing, but has no association with the power steering, but is a leaking seal on the knuckle to the wheel?

mgodsey6293

Apr 27, 2016
Missouri
Well with 280hrs on the clock I've ran into my first problem with my BX I bought new in 2013. The steering seal on the right side of the axle has let go. I'm trying to decide what's easier, removing my cab so the dealer can fix it under warrenty which would mean disconnecting the cab heater and the pain of lifting the cab off. OR Just fixing the seal myself.

What would you do?
If it's a pivot seal just get the seal and do it.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
The local Kubota dealer (70 miles away and he will come this far) has a truck and will do some repairs and routine maintenance at the customers location. Might be worth checking with your dealer.