Is the Bigtoolrack Worth It?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hello Chimpy wrench.
I have owned a JD 3320 for 12 years and am now purchasing a Kubota B2650 with the cab. Weather permitting, the B2650 gets delivered tomorrow.

I looked over the BTR, hemmed and hawed and thought of the price. Yes, a lot of money. But then I thought of why this tool is helpful for me.

In the summer, I throw the weed whacker, fuel, leaf blower, etc., into the bucket of the tractor. I can tell you from experience, riding on a hill with this stuff in the loader bucket has issues such as the leaf blower and weed whacker moving and getting fuel in the bucket. Or having something fall out because I hit a bump. And then I have to take out everything I put in the bucket.

I see the utility of the BTR and ordered one. With the quick hitch, taking the BTR on and off is easy. I can leave the tools in the BTR for use the next time. Also, I can take a handheld mower or a snow blower around the property pretty easily; a lot more so than if I did not have this on the back of the tractor.

I can also now leave the loader off which makes mowing in the summer a lot easier. The loader on the B2650 appears to be easy to take off and then put back on, so when I need the loader to move dirt, etc, it will be re-attached just for those chores.

I think the price for the BTR is reasonable considering the utility of this equipment. I just spent over $38,000 on a tractor and the money for this tool rack compared to other accessories I am paying for, for me, is reasonable.

I do not have the time, the ability, or the knowledge to make a tool rack like the BTR, so I gladly pay someone who had the wisdom to make this tool.
Agreed.

I just bought one.

Is it well made? Yes.

Is it well packed? Yes.

Is it useful? Yes.

Is it expensive? Yes.

I spent over 90 minutes just unpacking it and probably four leisurely hours putting it together. It is sturdy.

I put mine on a 1952 Sherman combination equipped Ford 8N that functions as my quad. It replaced a conventional carryall with plywood box that has not been removed from the 52 in over 10 years.

The BTR is heavier than the carryall so payload is compromised. Versatility is considerably improved, especially for lengthy items such as pole saws and string trimmers.

Aside from price, the only downside that I have found is the low mounting point of the hitch pins. As designed, the lift arms of my 8N do not lower low enough to allow the box to rest on the ground. I can put the conventional carryall completely down on the ground to allow easy loading of heavy items. I can lower the BTR box no closer than about 8" from ground level. Of course, this will vary depending upon what tractor one mounts the BTR onto.

Over the years, I have hauled many tons of field stone with the carryall, including heavy rocks that I must flip into the box at ground level. I had planned to sell the conventional carryall but may now decide to keep it for this reason alone.

SDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
wow, we must live in different Worlds...
If I paid 38K for a tractor, that tool rack would have been tossed in for free. Really, the dealer cost is maybe 2% of your tractor purchase price so there's no way he'd turn down the sale.
That being said , there are several ,lower cost alternatives, to the over priced ,probably made in China 'carry-all'. Sure clue it's not Made in USA will be Metric nuts and bolts.
I understand not everyone has a welder or 'turns wrenches' but... if you're using a tractor, ya gotta be a little 'handy'...so why not save several hundred dollars !
The BTR is made in India.

I built my conventional carryall from a commercially available carryall frame bought about 25 years ago and 3/4" exterior plywood. About 12 years ago, I replaced all of the wood.

I too, could have fabricated something similar to the BTR but I value my time highly enough that the BTR was cost effective in my case. I make no claims that it is so for everyone.

SDT

Taghkanic

Equipment
LX3310
Feb 24, 2022
Hudson Valley NY
I'll say one very positive thing: I've emailed the company a few times and the owner is very quick and responsive with communication.
I ordered mine on a Saturday morning, and the owner immediately called me and said he could deliver it to my house by noon that day! I guess if it is within a couple hours he prefers to just deliver.

He then stayed a while and got me started with assembly and gave me some pointers that saved a tone of time. Pretty incredible service.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I ordered mine on a Saturday morning, and the owner immediately called me and said he could deliver it to my house by noon that day! I guess if it is within a couple hours he prefers to just deliver.

He then stayed a while and got me started with assembly and gave me some pointers that saved a tone of time. Pretty incredible service.
Check the grease fittings for the caster wheel axles. On mine they thread into blind holes, doing nothing.

I informed the supplier a couple of years ago. Wondering if anything has been done.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Would I like one? Yes. Do I think they are priced a little high? Yes. Right now my money is going towards other implements/tools and maybe someday I will have one. I use the bucket, but I have already covered my tools once with dirt forgetting that I had put them in there and scooped up a load of dirt.
You are likely not the only one to do that!
Be extra careful with your chain saw!

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada

You can't beat service like that.