Is Shell Rotella HD compatible with UDT?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I have an unopened 5 gallon pail of Shell Rotella HD for some reason (lost in the mists of time), and I'm trying to figure out if I can used it in the transmission of my BX25. I have tried researching it online, and have come up blank.

Does anyone know if this fluid is compatible? I figure it has to be better than the Tractor Supply stuff I just had to put into my BX after my rollover problem. It's overdue for a change anyway, so I'm going to do the filter and fluid change, and it would be nice if I can use a quality product that I already have.

Rotella HD Hydraulic and Transmission Fluid.jpg

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
well if the bucket says it's compatible, it's a liar.

kubota doesnt' give the specifications of their fluids other than engine oil (SJ, etc). So how do any of the other fluids get their "meets kubota specifications"???

They don't...the only specification that it meets is the size of the container (5 gal, 1 gal, etc). The higher up's at kubota have advised us of that fact.

UDT and super UDT2 are proprietary, nothing else is truly compatible to my knowledge which came from the teachings of those who are actually in the know. That's all I can tell you.

One thing I know, I wish Kubota would dye the stuff. You can't hardly see it on a dip stick or a lot of times even in a sight window. Especially Super UDT2.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

kubota doesnt' give the specifications of their fluids other than engine oil (SJ, etc). So how do any of the other fluids get their "meets kubota specifications"???

They don't...the only specification that it meets is the size of the container (5 gal, 1 gal, etc). The higher up's at kubota have advised us of that fact.

UDT and super UDT2 are proprietary, nothing else is truly compatible to my knowledge which came from the teachings of those who are actually in the know. That's all I can tell you.

One thing I know, I wish Kubota would dye the stuff. You can't hardly see it on a dip stick or a lot of times even in a sight window. Especially Super UDT2.
Bingo.

Refilling to the proper level after change is a PITA because it is almost impossible to see on the dip stick.

I usually wipe the stick clean and check by touch.

Do you know conslusively if SUDT2 is full synthetic? No where on the containers do it so say, and I have not been able to get a conclusive answer.

SDT

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If it's an HST, I would only use Kubota fluid. Gear drive, Rotella. I use the Rotella in one of my M9's (other has Chevron in it).

My 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. Personally, I wouldn't use TSC store brand fluid to start a brush fire with. it's JUNK.

poconoguy17

Equipment
Kubota B6000E & Kubota B6000DT w/Loader
Jul 13, 2020
Pocono Mountains

I agree to a point but also remember that Shell Oil Co is not exactly a small company. They do have their chemists and fluid dynamic scientists evaluate every competitors offering and they get very very close. Will it be a 100% match?> No... patent issues etc... but if UDT/SUDT have no applicable patent disclosing additives that are proprietary and Shell or Mobile reverse engineer it and augment slightly I think you would be hard pressed to show it will "damage" an HST , especially considering that UDT is not exactly a new thing. Even the Walmart "Super Premium Hydraulic Fluid" sent an email back stating it is the equivalent of UDT despite not having the legal right to advertise as such.

Especially in older machines that were designed for lesser spec fluids.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Do you know conslusively if SUDT2 is full synthetic? No where on the containers do it so say, and I have not been able to get a conclusive answer.

SDT
From the Kubota USA FAQ's page:
IS SUPER UDT2 A SYNTHETIC OIL?
Super UDT2, Kubota's proprietary hydraulic/transmission fluid, is approximately 75%synthetic. It is a multi-purpose all-weather tractor hydraulic fluid. It is fully compatible with UDT fluids.

Link to FAQ page, click on the PARTS tab, scroll down to question 11:
https://www.kubotausa.com/contact/faq

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
No, the bucket doesn't say anything about Kubota, but if it did say it was compatible, I'd believe it. Shell has the resources to verify such a claim and too much to lose to make it casually.

On the other hand, Kubota has a lot to gain by hiding their specifications and saying that nothing else is compatible, and since this stuff is neither magic nor rocket science, I do not believe them. I appreciate brand loyalty, but blind fanboyism does not make for good decision making. The idea that only Kubota makes a fluid that is truly compatible is just ridiculous.

When I needed something quick this weekend, I called my local Tractor Supply store, and the manager there confirmed she's been using their Traveler brand in her Kubotas for many years, and affirmed that is is compatible. I have no reason to not believe her, as I have done business with her for many years. Yes, she has a profit motive, but again, too much to lose to be lying about it. While I'm not a great fan of their brand, it will do in a pinch (which was certainly in!), but then, that's why I'm looking to change it to something better.

I'm sure Amsoil has something that is compatible. I'm just surprised that I haven't already heard from the local Amsoil fans yet. :D

As I was loking into it I found a YouTube video with some interesting research (below). He does a good job of digging in to the details and debunking the idea that Kubota makes the only Magic Fluid that will properly work in their tractors.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
It is one of those things they are trying to get you to buy Orange parts just like JD tries you to get you to buy Green parts. Your jug says "hydraulic And transmission fluid. Here is a pdf about the oil: Rotella HD.
It should be fine in a hydrostat system. I noticed it is a 10w30 weight so make sure that is what your machine needs.
I would Not mix standard oil and synthetic. That said, as wgator mentioned, even the SUDT2 oil is a blend so does it really matter? I use Rotella in my M9 with shuttle as well.
If you are doing a full change I would use the jug you have.

Reactions: 1 users

BX23S

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2022 Kubota L3901 FEL, BH, GRAPPLE, PALLET FORK, SNOW PLOW and Hard Canopy
Sep 1, 2018
ID
1595628992500.png

Kubota is listed on the bucket don't see why you can't use it.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
It is one of those things they are trying to get you to buy Orange parts just like JD tries you to get you to buy Green parts.
Exactly. They tell horror stories to protect their market.

That doesn't mean that all fluids are equally good, but Shell Rotella products have an excellent reputation.

Your jug says "hydraulic And transmission fluid. Here is a pdf about the oil: Rotella HD.
Thanks very much!

Thank you!

I couldn't find it on mine, but mine is pretty filthy on the exterior.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No, the bucket doesn't say anything about Kubota, but if it did say it was compatible, I'd believe it. Shell has the resources to verify such a claim and too much to lose to make it casually.

On the other hand, Kubota has a lot to gain by hiding their specifications and saying that nothing else is compatible, and since this stuff is neither magic nor rocket science, I do not believe them. I appreciate brand loyalty, but blind fanboyism does not make for good decision making. The idea that only Kubota makes a fluid that is truly compatible is just ridiculous.

When I needed something quick this weekend, I called my local Tractor Supply store, and the manager there confirmed she's been using their Traveler brand in her Kubotas for many years, and affirmed that is is compatible. I have no reason to not believe her, as I have done business with her for many years. Yes, she has a profit motive, but again, too much to lose to be lying about it. While I'm not a great fan of their brand, it will do in a pinch (which was certainly in!), but then, that's why I'm looking to change it to something better.

I'm sure Amsoil has something that is compatible. I'm just surprised that I haven't already heard from the local Amsoil fans yet. :D

As I was loking into it I found a YouTube video with some interesting research (below). He does a good job of digging in to the details and debunking the idea that Kubota makes the only Magic Fluid that will properly work in their tractors.

That guy is an idiot but then everything on Y Tube has to be taken as gospel. :rolleyes: I liked his comment about using 80-90 in the transmission. Just what you need in a hydrostat. I guarantee it will be going to a dealer for major repairs.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
It is one of those things they are trying to get you to buy Orange parts just like JD tries you to get you to buy Green parts. Your jug says "hydraulic And transmission fluid. Here is a pdf about the oil: Rotella HD.
It should be fine in a hydrostat system. I noticed it is a 10w30 weight so make sure that is what your machine needs.
I would Not mix standard oil and synthetic. That said, as wgator mentioned, even the SUDT2 oil is a blend so does it really matter? I use Rotella in my M9 with shuttle as well.
If you are doing a full change I would use the jug you have.

I don't really know and neither do you because neither of us have a hydrostat, we both have gear drives.

I know when I did (Hydrostat) I used Kubota fluid exclusively, bit then I use Kubota filters too and always have.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
View attachment 46424

Yeah but it says "for use in many tractors of JD, Case, Kubota" etc..., not all models of tractors. I would be careful with the weight of oil in certain regions, especially on the hydrostats.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Actually, Shell Rotella HYD oil is relabeled Donax.