is my tractor now scrap metal?

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
While moving snow banks with my old 1975 L260 this weekend there was a sudden change of engine sound and significant loss of power. Now it will barely start and run.

Upon inspection I opened the small side cover on my injector pump and found that a plunger spring broke and one (of my two) injector delivery mechanisms was kaput.

This tractor has the Z1300 engine and a Nippondenso 090000 3582 injector pump. Parts for this engine and pump are nonexistant and a decent manual is not to be had either. I have no idea how to remove/reinstall the injector pump and ensure that the timing will be OK. Even if I were to remove the pump, then what?

I am heartbroken as I love this tractor - it is a perfect size for me. Bringing it to a Kubota dealer is not likely to help as they have no idea how to work on this old stuff.

Help, I need some sage advice.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
With scarcity of parts.. I wonder........ has anyone ever retrofitted an older 2cyl model like this one with a China Yanmar Clone, Hatz orr?

Were these 2cyl tractors blocks also used as structural members like some of the 3cyl ones were? If so can see some additional issues with transplants but if not then.... why not a transplant?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Hi Wolfman!
Thanks for the ray of hope. I saw those downloadable manuals before, but was hesitant because I thought they were those crappy I&T "manuals" which are all but useless.
Anyhow I followed your direction and got that manual and it is quite good! Thanks!
It said in the manual that the pump assembly slides out and employs a MASTER SPLINE. I hope a "master spline" is one in which there is only one way to re-engage the male and female parts. Is this true?? If so I will feel confidant that I can get the pump back in place with correct timing.

Thanks, Ren

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
That is , indeed what a master spline is. it has one thick spline, and the rest are thin, so it only goes back together one way...:D

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It never hurts to visit a diesel repair shop. A place that services injection pumps and injectors. Often the injection pumps are used on other engines and can be fixed.
Dave M7040

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
It never hurts to visit a diesel repair shop. A place that services injection pumps and injectors. Often the injection pumps are used on other engines and can be fixed.
Dave M7040
Yes Dave, I called Atlantic Fuel Injection (about 20 miles away) and they didn't say they could fix it, but they didn't say they couldn't either. :)

I think I'll pull it off and drop it by the shop and see what they think once they see it.

If it would just stop snowing long enough to allow me to get out of the plow truck and into the shop....

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
I pulled the pump off tonight. It doesn't appear to have a one-way master spline. It has a symmetrical spline with an alignment mark. It will be very difficult to see the marks when reassembling but she's apart now so I'll have to do it somehow. I'm going to bring the pump to the injector shop tomorrow if I can ...

dmb

Equipment
Jan 30, 2015
Lakewood Ca,
just start at tdc, set timing marks up ''a little paint on the spline helps'' install the pump. and now is the time to adjust the valves too, if i can do it anyone can. it makes me feel better if i do it myself and i cant afford to have someone do it for me! dennis

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
UPDATE The injector pump and injectors are at Atlantic Fuel Injector Service awaiting rebuild. They called and advised me that all parts are available and on order. Everything should come back to me in like new condition, but it will devastate a $1000 bill...OUCH!

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
UPDATE The injector pump and injectors are at Atlantic Fuel Injector Service awaiting rebuild. They called and advised me that all parts are available and on order. Everything should come back to me in like new condition, but it will devastate a $1000 bill...OUCH!

Seems to be about the going rate for a pump rebuild, AFAIK...:eek:

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Last edited:

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Steve, the fellow there who started working on in injectors and pumps in 1979 strongly encouraged me to bring in the injectors, too. I really like this old horse so I decided to invest the $$ needed to make it right. Fingers crossed that it ends up worth it....

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Pejepscot,

One other thought that comes to mind since you're working on the tractor anyway is the steering box. The steering boxes are a Kubota weak point on the older units. You might consider taking this opportunity to drain and refill it if you haven't recently. They are often overlooked and it results in the box getting damaged if they run dry or if moisture gets in.

Due to boxes leaking as they wear, I now deviate from the factory and pack mine with Shell Avania EP00 grease (Kubota/Land Pride PN 821-045-C). However, no matter what you use, as long as it's being maintained it will live a long time.

I don't know if your particular unit has a drain plug or not. Often they don't and it's a pain to empty them out. But, in the end it's usually worth it because it's an overlooked maintenance point. Lots of times there ends up being water in the box if the tractor ever spent considerable time outside.

Here's an awesome series but together by Service Dept Vic for more info on what happens and how to rebuild if damaged:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/02/diagnosing-and-preventing-steering-box-failure/

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2010/01/how-to-repair-a-steering-box-part-1/

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2010/09/how-to-repair-a-steering-box-part-2/

Food for thought.

Steve

Last edited:

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Yup, you are right, the steering box was toast on this L260 when I got it so I rebuilt it this past summer new bearings, seals steering tube and ball but. Steers beautifully now. I filled it with 1/2 gear oil 1/2 grease mixture...sort of a pudding consistency. I park it under cover now to keep water out of the box.

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Excellent!

The only other thing to consider is running a diesel fuel additive to keep the pump and injectors lubricated, prevent the fuel from gelling and to take care of any moisture or algae that happens to be in the fuel. The injection rebuilding house will have something that they recommend. The older tractors weren't designed for the low sulfur diesel so they need a bit of extra lube added to the oil. It will make the pump and injectors last longer.

As long as you keep up on the maintenance she will last a long time.

Best,

Steve

84cj

Equipment
Bx1800, 60 inch mower, front snowblower and bucket.
Aug 8, 2013
Gorham, Maine
What Steve said. I use 911 as it's available pretty much everywhere. I was concerned when I got fuel last year and it was no longer blue tinted. Found out it's low sulfer and additives are highly recommended for older diesels. I use it with my 2003 Bx.

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Hey, guys! Well I got the pump and injectors back from the $hop. I reinstalled everything lining the pump back up with the ledger mark on the engine case. I bled all the air out of the fuel lines, gave her 45 seconds of glow plug and hit the starter... Success!!
I just worked her hard for 2hours moving huge snowbanks back and she seems fine - except she is LOUDER than before. This means she is REAL LOUD. Could the injection timing need tweaking? How the heck would you know if the injection timing was a little early or late? It's not like I can stick my timing light on there and test it....
Any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Loud? Like it needs a new muffler loud?
Is it blowing any smoke?
Doggy under a load?
Won't idle?