is magnet needed in hydraulic filter?

longleaf1

Equipment
M5140
May 2, 2012
Statesboro, Ga
I just changed my hydraulic oil and filter after the first 50 hours. I used kubota filters which have the built in magnet. When buying the filters I also picked up a couple of NAPA filters for the next time. I notice they do not have the built in magnet. Does anyone know if the magnet is necessary or advisable for future hydraulic fluid changes? Thanks for any comments.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Don't discard the old magnets. Wipe them off and put them in the new filter.

Once you wipe them off you will understand why it is a good idea to keep them installed.

longleaf1

Equipment
M5140
May 2, 2012
Statesboro, Ga
Thanks GWD. They looked like they were part of the filter. Will they actually come out of the kubota filter to use with the NAPA ones?

gkirby

Jul 8, 2012
Dexter, MO
I don't think the magnet will fit into the Napa filter. After I bought my tractor I changed all the fluids and filters. I bought a Napa filter which I thought was going to be cheaper than the Kubota one. The Kubota filter which was on the tractor had a magnet on the inside edge. When I tried to use the magnet with the Napa filter it would not fit. When removing the original filter the magnet had two pieces of a broken snap ring stuck to it. (The snap ring was part of the pto clutch and after it broke the pto could not be turned off). Because of the good luck I had with the magnet I went ahead and bought a Kubota filter and again used the magnet. (Also, the Kubota filter was $1 cheaper than the Napa filter which is made by Wix.)

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
A bit ago we had a rather lengthly disscussion on aftermarket verses OEM.

I took the position that all filters are NOT created equal and that aftermarket filters are built to a competive price point (which has to sacrifice certain features over the oem) while oem filters were built to the designers specs without the regard if a addition of a magnet, additional filtration media, a better over all construction or many other features raised the price a bit.

I am glad to see that you noticed the magnet. The lack therof just adds additional proof that aftermarket filters are NOT always (but can be with proper testing, and building to oem specs, which would then make the aftermarket filter as expensive as the oem filter) the best bet.

And yes, you NEED the magnet.

David