Implements that pull on the drawbar and the world of good enough.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A bit of an update on this project. I finally got around to modifying the tongue on the disc to accept a lunette ring. The tongue is made from two pieces of angle welded together and there isn't a 90 degree corner to be found! 😂

First step was to remove the tongue from the disc and cut off the cobbled together, farmer welded drawbar interface. I decided to leave the two plates that were welded to the tongue but did weld over the original welds which weren't very good. Then I cut up the "one time use" tow bar I made for the Jeep a couple of years ago so that I could repurpose the plate that the lunette ring bolts to. I welded the plate to the tongue using 7018 rod, and then welded the heads of the bolts to the back side of the plate and bolted the ring on.

It's going to pull a lot better than it did, and I'll be putting it to the test tomorrow afternoon/evening on a discing job.

tongue_1.jpg

tongue_2.jpg

tongue_3.jpg

tongue_4.jpg

tongue_5.jpg

tongue_6.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Turned out excellent!
Thanks. I did a little more 7018 welding this morning followed by cold galvanizing and black paint. It occurred to me that the disc doesn't have any safety chains so I'll try to get something sorted today. The jack is not a priority.

In case anyone is wondering why I welded the bolt heads to the back of the plate, it's simply a clearance issue. Could I have welded the lunette ring directly to the tongue? Maybe, since the ring is probably cast steel (not cast iron), but since the ring already had holes for bolts it made sense to go this route.

lunette_ring_2.jpg

lunette_ring_1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

jaxs

Equipment
B1750HST
Jun 22, 2023
Texas
I can pull the harrow around, but the slop on the clevis coupler makes for an unpleasant experience, and my property is hilly with lots of off-camber situations where the disc wants to go one way and the tractor another.
I look forward to hearing if the disc trails any better. The main difference I see between discs I've used and those in your pictures is that your front and rear gangs don't have a pivot between them. I can see why your disc steers it self instead of following tractor.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I look forward to hearing if the disc trails any better. The main difference I see between discs I've used and those in your pictures is that your front and rear gangs don't have a pivot between them. I can see why your disc steers it self instead of following tractor.
I'll be using the disc this afternoon so will report back, with photos of course. The disc has a cylinder to raise and lower it so I'm sure I'll be doing that in tight turns to reduce the drag. The pintle will allow for lots of articulation which should result in less stress on the tractor. I just hope that little MX pulls it around with any trouble. I'll be in L range no doubt.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's the other half of the equation i.e. the MX drawbar pintle receiver, that I completed this morning. I added a large gusset in the center and two smaller gussets left and right to support the plate under load. I have the extra holes at the bottom so that I can bolt a matching plate to this thing if I want to run a different receiver type/style.

I shortened the drawbar such that the center of the pintle hook is located where the center of the original large hole was located.

I've had the needle gun shown below for at least three years now but today was the first time I used it to clean off the welds. Not sure why I waited so long.

pintle_1.jpg

pintle_2.jpg

pintle_3.jpg

pintle_4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last update on this project. I used the disc for three hours this evening and everything worked great. I flipped the drawbar over which is something I wanted as an option for pintle height. In retrospect I don't think I needed to flip the drawbar since all I had to do was to use the hydraulic cylinder to raise the disc so that I could get the pintle under the lunette ring.

The bottom photo shows the pintle and lunette ring when I got home this evening after using it for three hours. The disc tows really well and much better than it did with the cobbled together drawbar system that was previously on it.

disc_3.jpg

pintle_5.jpg

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas