Implement Suggestions for BX25 and landscaping

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
I have a BX25, 2 acres of overgrown woods.

Situation:
I have a ton of saplings, and even more thick vines (some up to 4" in diameter). They have been killing a lot of trees and taking over. I'm attempting to wage battle but would like some advice on the best implements.

Current Equipment:
I have a FEL and a backhoe. I also have a tooth bar that straps to the FEL and it allows me to rip roots up from the ground while allowing most of the dirt to sift through. It doesn't allow me to do any cleaning-up though.

Goals:
  • I'd like to get rid of all the weeds and vines.
  • Clean up the floor of the sticks and twigs and rotting wood etc.
  • Push leaves and pine needles into piles for easy disposal

Concerns:
Will a york rake break the tines if I hit large roots?
My landscape is not flat and level. So will a rake level it? Will it even work at an angle or will I have to go perpendicular to the angles?

There are times when I don't want to disturb the ground (grass underneath) and there are other times when I want to pull the roots out of the ground and go deeper.

I am open to suggestions.
I've seen the EverythingAttachments rake but I don't know about quality. Also not sure what those wheels are for and why they cost $300.

This is what the property looks like now. I spent months with the BX getting it to this point. It was much worse before.
I learned that just using the FEL is not a great idea because you end up picking up all the soil with everything.

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Probably the BX25 is a great choice for maintaining that. For clearing, I'd be using a chain saw to cut things down, then a well ballasted pickup truck to pull the trees and vines out. Then I'd use the backhoe to dig up the roots, and the FEL as a hellishly strong wheelbarrow.
Traction is a function of weight, tire size and tread, with horse power as an add in. You have plenty of horses, but not the weight and tire diameter. My pickup weighs in at about 5000 lbs. In 2WD it gets stuck on wet grass, if the bed is empty. If I toss a half a ton in the back and use 4WD it will pull like crazy. On a packed dirt road it will probably out pull my tractor.
When you are trying to pull vines out of trees you end up trying to pull down, so you are lifting either the front or back of the tractor. I don't believe it is going to work very well.
You already have the FEL and backhoe. A 4 or 5 foot brush hog will chop up anything the tractor will drive over. A gear drive tiller will cut up roots up to about an inch or so. It might be able to follow the brush hog pretty well. Once cleared, you will want a chain harrow (or an old bed spring) to smooth it out, then a rear finish mower or MMM or keep the brush hog, to maintain it. You may want to sell off the backhoe. You will be in love with the FEL forever - there is always a use for something that will pick up 500 lbs and get it over your head.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Thats going to be a tough and delicate project to tackle. Most homeowners love to leave areas like that as a "natural" area. It will be a challange to clean the gounds up so you dont to damage to the roots of trees you'd like to keep.

As a landscaper I'm racking my brain trying to figure out a way for you to tackle the job you want to do but not harm the root zone of the trees you plan to keep.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I suppose maybe a pine straw rake might be delicate enough to do the work and not cause but so much harm.