I'm an idiot and lost my keys. Now what?

Evad

Equipment
L3301
Apr 2, 2022
Redmond, WA
2018 3301 Tractor. Not sure what my options are. The good news I guess is that I lost them on my property somewhere so its not like anyone else will find them. Are Tractor keys like car keys? Or are they more like RV/trailer keys where I think you can just buy a master key.

Thanks in advance for not grilling me :)

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
your dealer can help you out.
replacement keys are cheap and are not like chipped car keys but rather std blanks

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Like RV keys, you just need to buy the key for your series and maybe year range.

Reactions: 1 user

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
You are all so great. Thank you. I am very relieved this is not going to be an expensive or lengthy mistake!
Put a big, floaty, blaze orange, key fob on it.
IMG_7224.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
You are all so great. Thank you. I am very relieved this is not going to be an expensive or lengthy mistake!
Yes, no big deal. You are NOT an 'idiot'. People lose keys and other things all the time, it happens. Your solution is an easy one. The key is readily available. Get a spare though. ;)

Reactions: 3 users

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
Another handy thing to have when your knee hits and snaps the key handle off is an inexpensive removal tool. The melt the end of a glue stick trick isn't reliable.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
My L has a key?

JK.....I just never take mine out.

DaveD

Equipment
B1700 HST 1996, LP grading scraper & box scraper, Bush Hog SQ60 & aerator
Jun 30, 2021
Central Virginia
When I first bought my B1700 in 1996 I attached the key ring to a nylon cord, looped about 1 foot diameter, and I hang the loop around the nearby throttle shaft. That quickly became a habit and I have done that for the last 27 years. One would think that you wouldn't lose the key without shutting off the engine, but it has popped out a few times while using the tractor and it ended up hanging harmlessly on its cord, not landing in the tall grass some distance away...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Like RV keys, you just need to buy the key for your series and maybe year range.
The bottom line of that statement is correct…but the underlying reason is not. Not all RVs have common keys. In fact, some RV keys can ONLY be provided by the OEM or the LockSet-OEM.
I’ve wasted a lot of time and money at Hardware stores and genuine LockSmiths in attempts to gain a spare set of keys for my Airstream trailer. Total Zeros. You can use a magnifying glass and try to determine why a professionally-cut replacement key differs from the OEM on any Airstream….and you’ll be wasting your time. They look IDENTICAL even under high magnification…but they WILL NOT WORK. You are forced to go to the OEM.

However, Kubota and many other construction/farming equipment use simple and cheap keys and can be bought online.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
The bottom line of that statement is correct…but the underlying reason is not. Not all RVs have common keys. In fact, some RV keys can ONLY be provided by the OEM or the LockSet-OEM.
I’ve wasted a lot of time and money at Hardware stores and genuine LockSmiths in attempts to gain a spare set of keys for my Airstream trailer. Total Zeros. You can use a magnifying glass and try to determine why a professionally-cut replacement key differs from the OEM on any Airstream….and you’ll be wasting your time. They look IDENTICAL even under high magnification…but they WILL NOT WORK. You are forced to go to the OEM.

However, Kubota and many other construction/farming equipment use simple and cheap keys and can be bought online.
No, the statement is correct in its entirety. RVs typically have very non-specific keys for very rudimentary disc locks. There are often exceptions to any rule.

I have no experience with Airstreams, but the Airstream website does not indicate that they use some type of proprietary or otherwise high security keys/locks. The Airstream website shows very ordinary keys. Their website even says a locksmith can cut a key for you (with the correct blank).
https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/products/key-blank-tri-mark-deadbolt-2009-present/

I am not a locksmith, but the government had me trained to overcome locks without any damage. I would not expect any difficulty with picking or impressioning a key for an Airstream lock.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
No, the statement is correct in its entirety. RVs typically have very non-specific keys for very rudimentary disc locks. There are often exceptions to any rule.

I have no experience with Airstreams, but the Airstream website does not indicate that they use some type of proprietary or otherwise high security keys/locks. The Airstream website shows very ordinary keys. Their website even says a locksmith can cut a key for you (with the correct blank).
https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/products/key-blank-tri-mark-deadbolt-2009-present/

I am not a locksmith, but the government had me trained to overcome locks without any damage. I would not expect any difficulty with picking or impressioning a key for an Airstream lock.
Elliott, if you don’t own an Airstream or if you’ve never tried to cut a key blank to work in an Airstream lock…. you are just saying what you “believe’… but you are Not knowledgeable about it.

I stand by what i previously posted. The Airstream website is for the purpose of promoting their products and refrains from any negativity. Yes..you can purchase key blanks from Airstream (But, they cost as much as simply buying the replacement key from them PLUS freight, so what‘s the point?)… and Yes, THOSE specific blanks are capable of being cut (at addt’l cost to the local locksmith) and usually work…and you have spent more than you would have if you‘d simply bought the expensive genuine Airstream replacement key…. . BUT the Identical key blank by any other mfr’r will NOT be capable of being cut to work….and I’m speaking not only from first-hand experience but my experience is confirmed by the experiences of other Airstream owners and their unhappy results are often discussed at online Forums like THIS one is about Kubotas.

Here’s a direct quote from the AIR-stream Forums: “
“Experienced at cutting keys
I'm a well trained key-cutter, and my business partner Bob and I have found blanks that look exactly like Airstream ones... we've both cut them and they don't work. Drives me mildly insane ... which ain't that far to drive in my case.

Bob who's "thrifty" went so far as to bet me $10 that HIS superior cutting skills would make a match. He ruined six sets of blanks before giving up. I took pity on him and settled for him buying me a coke!

You gotta get the blanks from Airstream online store.

Paula”

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When it comes to cutting keys a factor that gets overlooked is the thickness of the blank. If it's just a skosh to thick the best cutter will not make it work! All can look fine but the lock will not function.