I think it's a head gasket

drstone56

Equipment
B7200D 4WD
Oct 12, 2014
Longview, Washington
checked the oil level today before starting my b7200d. Oil level was above normal. Checked coolant level, it was not showing anything at top of radiator. Does this sound like a head gasket and if so, what does this entail and how hard is it to repair?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
checked the oil level today before starting my b7200d. Oil level was above normal. Checked coolant level, it was not showing anything at top of radiator. Does this sound like a head gasket and if so, what does this entail and how hard is it to repair?
It's never one thing lol. While there could be a head gasket issue, there also could be hydaulic fluid in the sump as well as fuel.

Is there any water in the oil? Drain some from the bottom to see. Is there oil in the coolant?

Does sump oil seem thin? Does it smell some like diesel?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea drain oil and look for coolant, the coolant will lay at to bottom the drain pan bellow the oil.

If nothing there, fill with oil and fill radiator with coolant and start it with radiator cap off and look for bubbles.

Changing the head gasket is fairly easy if it comes down to that.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Agreed, check for diesel in oil first. Blown head gasket will pressurize the coolant side fairly quick.

drstone56

Equipment
B7200D 4WD
Oct 12, 2014
Longview, Washington
Ok, finally able to get back to the tractor, drained a little oil, and it's only oil, does not smell like diesel. Pressure tested radiator and cap, both held, cap at 9 psi, radiator at 15 psi.
Thinking I may have made a mistake on oil level so I think I'll try changing oil (filling to the proper level) and same with radiator/coolant since I only added water (about 2 cups). Then run tractor for a little while and see if levels change.
Is this an expectable test or should I do something else.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Top off hydraulic fluid if it is low. Then you can see if it goes down with use. My tractor was "making oil" and it ended up being the hydraulic pump seals. Got new seal and all is well now. I could not tell any difference in the motor oil, there was just too much on the dipstick before the fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk