I named my splitter the Beastonmade šŸ¤£

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I like the bi-directional splitting action but table seems to make a lot of needless walking and lots of reaching. Would give me a sore back picking rounds onto a high table and that much reaching. With a cord being more than 5,000#'s that's way more rnds than I could p/u per hour and with all the reaching to boot I simply would be spent in less than an hour..

I like my WP845 that pulls a 50' tree into the infeed with a hydro winch, cuts rounds and drops onto the splitting deck, and sends split wood up a chute dropping onto a pile. An old, fat, retired guy can do about 1.1 cords an hour taking the 50' tree right through to split piles easily. With a decent helper over 1 1/2 cords an hour! 8+ hours a day and close to 10 cords is doable artificial joints and all.

Sure it costs a few bucks more but like my wife says spend it... I can't take it with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't get renaming tools/equipment/vehicles, but I'm glad you like it.

Reactions: 1 user

Ontario Firewood Resource

Equipment
1985 Case Skid Steer 1845
Sep 11, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
I like the bi-directional splitting action but table seems to make a lot of needless walking and lots of reaching. Would give me a sore back picking rounds onto a high table and that much reaching. With a cord being more than 5,000#'s that's way more rnds than I could p/u per hour and with all the reaching to boot I simply would be spent in less than an hour..

I like my WP845 that pulls a 50' tree into the infeed with a hydro winch, cuts rounds and drops onto the splitting deck, and sends split wood up a chute dropping onto a pile. An old, fat, retired guy can do about 1.1 cords an hour taking the 50' tree right through to split piles easily. With a decent helper over 1 1/2 cords an hour! 8+ hours a day and close to 10 cords is doable artificial joints and all.

Sure it costs a few bucks more but like my wife says spend it... I can't take it with me.

I've never seen that splitter before, it's like a mini processor.
My splitter has a log lift (under my feet where I stand operating it, but I didn't need it in this session because all the rounds except for one were small diameter

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I get the stuff no one wants. 4 foot diameter stumps or more with nails.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I've never seen that splitter before, it's like a mini processor.
My splitter has a log lift (under my feet where I stand operating it, but I didn't need it in this session because all the rounds except for one were small diameter
my WP845 was made about 1hr west of your locale (toronto)
I'm always looking for the easy way out! yours looks really sturdy and I like the bi-directional cut.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm not a fan of the bidirectional wedge. You have to slide the log out and to the opposite end and back in to resplit which is a waste of motion. It's a great concept but not very practical in my opinion.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
There are a few systems out there Mc that that use and arm to pull the split butt back in to place while the piston is splitting one on the other side. I guess if doing a bunch it would be OK,,, But that WP845 is something I have had my eye on for some time,,, what did you give for that beasty ?

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Couple nice ways to process wood. I have stayed away from the bi-directional splitters because we normally split onto a conveyor into a trailer. I normally burn 10-15 cord of hedge a year in my Garn boiler. I built a processor a dozen or so years ago but it seems like the last couple of years I don't have enough pole wood to make it worth running it.

Equipment
Sep 11, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Couple nice ways to process wood. I have stayed away from the bi-directional splitters because we normally split onto a conveyor into a trailer. I normally burn 10-15 cord of hedge a year in my Garn boiler. I built a processor a dozen or so years ago but it seems like the last couple of years I don't have enough pole wood to make it worth running it.

Equipment
Sep 11, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
I wanted to put roller conveyors towards a conveyor but my wood gets spread out into crates (I mix species in each selling unit so the xistomer doesn't get used to the same smell) and I put some aside in a pile for a 6 cord load. The only time I'd really use my conveyor is putting those 6 cords onto the 40 yard bin. That load sits on the ground while I load bin with the bigger cutoffs and odds and ends for a boiler customer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I was the 'lever lad' for neighbour last fall, using his 2 way splitter. He lugged,lifted rounds on, collected splits and stacked while I split.He'd toss a log onto the left,then tidy up the site. after 1st split, I'd use right side to make 2nd splits, by then he reloads the left....repeat all day long... Once we got into a rhythm it went faster than a 'single' ram unit.
For commercial use( IE getting paid ), that WP at 20K will pay for itself in 70 cords. It HAS to be a HUGE time saver and in business 'time IS money'.

Equipment
Sep 11, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
I was the 'lever lad' for neighbour last fall, using his 2 way splitter. He lugged,lifted rounds on, collected splits and stacked while I split.He'd toss a log onto the left,then tidy up the site. after 1st split, I'd use right side to make 2nd splits, by then he reloads the left....repeat all day long... Once we got into a rhythm it went faster than a 'single' ram unit.
For commercial use( IE getting paid ), that WP at 20K will pay for itself in 70 cords. It HAS to be a HUGE time saver and in business 'time IS money'.
And firewood is a two man job!