Hydraulic Top Link Leak

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Not sure what happened, but the hydraulic top link on my B2650 is leaking right behind the washer where it mounts to the top link tube. Yesterday while doing ground work I noticed a small leak, which then started squirting. Found the nut itself was loose, so I tightened it up (snug/firm, didn't go Hulk on it). That seemed to slow to stop the leak, but shortly later, it loosened back up. I re-tightened (same amount, maybe a smidge more) and it still had a slow drip. I don't think I should tighten it anymore, it's literally at a stop, I'd have to put some serious torque to go any farther. Leak still comes out from behind the washer. I'm assuming the hydraulic top link tube is bad or broke, less than 20 hours on the tractor, so I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they recommend. Figured I'd run it by the experts here and see what you guys and gals have to say!

Last edited:

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
There is an o-ring under that washer that does the sealing. It’s called a JIC fitting IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully that's all it is, a faulty o-ring. I'm guessing if I remove that nut and washer, hydraulic oil is going to come flying out. I'm new to tractors, so learning as I go. I wouldn't mind replacing the o-ring but might be better to have dealer provide some insight first since it should all be under warranty still.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not sure what happened, but the hydraulic top link on my B2650 is leaking right behind the washer where it mounts to the top link tube.
There is an O-ring under the washer, pull the fitting off and replace the O-ring.
You need to loosen and remove the JIC portion of the connection first, then remove the O-ring portion of the fitting.

There is an o-ring under that washer that does the sealing. It***8217;s called a JIC fitting IIRC.
That fitting is actually called an O-Ring Boss fitting. ;)
The JIC fitting is a male taper to female taper joint.
Granted that fitting does have a JIC fitting on the other end of the O-ring fitting side. :)

Last edited:

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
OK that was easy...I was waiting to get sprayed with hydraulic oil! :D

I'd say that's the problem...although I have no idea how the o-ring got like this unless it was in a different state causing a leak and then I over tightened and crushed it? Any ideas? I noticed the washer looked a little bent too...given there is an o-ring under there, I'd say you don't need to go crazy tightening this, just snug it up and should be ok. Possible dealer over tightened I guess.

I'll have to swing by the dealer and get a replacement ring.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Do yourself a favor and Go to Harbor Freight and buy O-ring assortment, I have both SAE and Metric, saves a lot of time and aggravation down the line. ;)

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Do yourself a favor and Go to Harbor Freight and buy O-ring assortment, I have both SAE and Metric, saves a lot of time and aggravation down the line. ;)
Excellent idea! Didn't even know they had kits. Going to head there now before it closes.

How do I determine which one in the kit matches the fitting? I can probably eyeball it but rather know I'm putting the right one on for sure.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
Well that seemed pretty easy. I just eyeballed it up. I took it from the metric kit and believe it was P16 15.8mm ID and 2.4mm thickness. It was a little stretch over the threads, didn't slide right on loose. Tested out the hydraulic and looked good, no leak. Will keep an eye on it.

I need to pick up some fluid to replace the bit I lost, wasn't a lot.