Hydraulic Oil Filter STUCK

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
Very thoughtful response, but on the L6060, the HST filter is located below the transmission sump, and the manual specifically warns of the consequence of removing the HST filter if you have not first drained all the UDT fluid. Some Kubota technicians up here will use a clean large drain pan in order to allow the fluid to be replaced in the tractor because it is next to impossible to move your hands fast enough to remove the old filter and screw on a new one without losing 8 to 10 liters of costly UDT. On the L6060 the suggestion that you can do this first 50 hour HST filter service and only lose a quart would qualify as magic.

nwjones18

Equipment
L4701 HST, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, RTA1266 Tiller and Grapple
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
I figured I'd report back that this filter wrench took off my stuck hst filter with no issues. The filter is at the smallest range for this wrench but it worked fine. I only lost maybe a qt of fluid on my L4701, I didn't even have to top it off (was still on the upper range on the dipstick).

MoCo

Equipment
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
I figured I'd report back that this filter wrench took off my stuck hst filter with no issues. The filter is at the smallest range for this wrench but it worked fine. I only lost maybe a qt of fluid on my L4701, I didn't even have to top it off (was still on the upper range on the dipstick).

MoCo

Equipment
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
So, my question is: Was this the tool you used to remove the original HST filter that came with the new machine or a service replacement? I have not had trouble replacing an HST filter after removing the original one. It's the OEM filter that was my issue at the first 50-hour service. Others have said that it is not painted on at assembly, but my original filter was painted gray like the frame on my L6060 and in no way appeared to have put on after. That also was what I was told by my dealer's most senior service tech. All I know is that I have not heard any other manufacturer making it so difficult to remove a filter that is a required service at 50 hours.

nwjones18

Equipment
L4701 HST, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, RTA1266 Tiller and Grapple
Jan 21, 2021
Warner Robins, GA
So, my question is: Was this the tool you used to remove the original HST filter that came with the new machine or a service replacement? I have not had trouble replacing an HST filter after removing the original one. It's the OEM filter that was my issue at the first 50-hour service. Others have said that it is not painted on at assembly, but my original filter was painted gray like the frame on my L6060 and in no way appeared to have put on after. That also was what I was told by my dealer's most senior service tech. All I know is that I have not heard any other manufacturer making it so difficult to remove a filter that is a required service at 50 hours.
It was the original grey filter that came on the machine. Mine was 2015 with 125hrs, but the HST filter had never been replaced. I used that wrench with a 1/2 in breaker bar and it came off. I did still have to push on the breaker bar quite hard, but the wrench didn't slip or have any issues.

Someone posted earlier that the metal on the filter actually touches the metal on the transmission and some corrosion forms between the dissimilar metals. That along with the factory putting them on mega tight makes removal difficult. The manual states to tighten 1 turn past touching, and the filter says 3/5s of a turn past touching. I could only spin mine 1/2 turn past touching and that was by far the tightest I've ever screwed on a filter (using same 1/2in breaker bar and wrench). Its not leaking so I'm happy.

Last edited:

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The filter is installed before the unit is painted, but the paint does not restrict the filter from being un-screwed. The HST filter is a high-pressure filter that needs to be tighter than a low-pressure or suction filter.
This style of filter is used widely in construction equipment lines. On a Case TLB, if you don't use an air hammer to loosen it, you may rip the mounting bracket off. The hydraulic filter on SVL track loaders is the same way.
These filters are designed to be installed tighter as is evident by the heavy notched ring on it. Like anything else, there is a proper method of removal/installation.

Reactions: 1 user

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Wish I would have read this before I started my 50 hr. Toasted two good oil filter wrenches. One was a cap wrench that had taken many Fleetguard filters off and the other was a regular but very old heavy duty adjustable filter wrench. Grrrrr. I have some serious fire break to work on.

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Wish I would have read this before I started my 50 hr.
Got it. Thanks all.

Coastie_C

Equipment
Kubota M4-071 Deluxe, LA-1154 Loader, L-5030 and, ZD-1211
Mar 19, 2022
SE VA
Well, I ended up standing on the handle of a standard oil filter wrench and bent it. Hmmmmm..... Gear Wrench sells a wide, heavy duty oil filter wrench which accepts 1/2" drive handles. Amazon sells it for $22.77 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_oth_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3SDUJMNK8D3DR

Teamed it up with the largest 1/2" drive breaker bar Harbor Freight sells and I was able to get the filter off although I had to nearly hang off the end of the ~30in breaker bar.

However, I won.

Reactions: 1 user